boinky

Computer Repair Payment

As a side line I used to install mod chips on the Play2, 14watt iron with a 0.5mm tip, all it needs is a razor blade, blue tack, practice an a
steady hand.
I also solderd the bridges on AMD cpu's, that was a bit more challenging

Gone fishing

Remembers me of a T-Shirt I once saw:

"Will fix computers for sex."

Of course I bought it. :D

[B]LMAO!!![/B] :D :D :D

And has it worked well for you? >:(

Don't know. Strangely, my wife won't let me wear it in public. [:/]

;):P
»Somewhere between the lies and truths borderlines get shady.
Somewhere between the yesses and nos you can find the maybe.«

hmm I have never actually heard of anyone doing that kind of repair to a laptop motherboard. Usually the whole motherboard gets replaced with that kind of damage.

It took me under 2 minutes to remove my old jack, remove the left over solder, and install a new one.

Easily took half an hour getting everything back together and a lot of cussing; I could barely fit my fat fingers between the laptop halves to reconnect the flat cables.

I'd put the money toward a replacement motherboard or a new laptop. Motherboards tend to be layered circuit boards and a soldering iron on top can destroy itty bitty traces underneath. The heat goes down through the layers and, as small as some of them are, it toasts the little guys. We found that out the hard way and ended up chucking the whole thing.

It's not a problem when you use the right equipment.

A sufficiently powerful (I think my Metcal MX500 is pushing 50W) temperature controlled (600 degree cartridge) iron with a tip sized for what you are soldering will get the lead + pad hot enough for the solder to flow almost instantly. You don't put enough heat into the board or part to damage things.

With an iron that's not powerful enough or tip that's too small, a lot of heat leaks out when you're holding it on there for a long time.

I'm happy to report that the laptop was returned to me this evening in full working order! :)YAY!

He said that he put about an hour labor into it and would be happy with $50. I paid him a little more. It was a convenience for me that he worked on it...so it was worth a tip, IMHO! :)
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Motherboards tend to be layered circuit boards and a soldering iron on top can destroy itty bitty traces underneath. The heat goes down through the layers and, as small as some of them are, it toasts the little guys. We found that out the hard way and ended up chucking the whole thing.

Keep in mind this was a DC power connector, meant to handle several amps, the traces are not going to be that small. Also, since PC motherboards have to be made on the cheap, they don't bother with a whole lot of groud planes in the board. Instead, they keep the small (heat sensitive) high-speed traces away from noisy areas like the region around the power connector, so I doubt you'd encounter any there.

I'm happy to report that the laptop was returned to me this evening in full working order! :)YAY!

He said that he put about an hour labor into it and would be happy with $50. I paid him a little more. It was a convenience for me that he worked on it...so it was worth a tip, IMHO! :)

Glad it worked out! B| From the pic, it looked to me like the socket casing melted from a short circuit, so I was rather sceptical about just replacing it, assuming more actual damage...

He's saying I shouldn't pay him. But as I stated before, I don't believe in abusing friendships. I'M the one who's offering to pay him....and he's sort of shrugging me off.

As for this... See, different people have different take on friendship. May depend on the cultural background, or whatnot. If I was in the same situation, offering a help to a friend with some repair like that (the other way around is highly unlikely, as I am very comfortable with a soldering iron :P), I would be really offended by the payment offer. I sure would try to explain it to my friend, but if (s)he insisted, I'd see a clear possibility for that friendship to come to an end... JMO, of course...
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...