kansasskydiver

Houston - Possibility of relocating, need advice

For those of you who live in Houston, any insights to the city, experience etc? I've heard it's a "dirty" city but then again I grew up in Sao Paulo which has to be one of the worst in the world.

Where to live, stay away from etc? How bad is the commute into town? Is it better to live downtown than to drive into town.

Things to consider: I'm single, no kids to raise, no family etc. 24 and enjoy nightlife be that clubs, theater, bars etc.

Job will more than likely be within the loop. Is the warehouse district a decent place to live when looking for a loft, medical district, galleria etc?

Thanks in advance
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Houston isn't dirty. Can't be because Dallas sucks so bad it keeps the streets here pretty clean.;)

Warehouse District is a bit pricey. So is the Montrose. Try Midtown which is within walking distance of the city's largest liquor store - Spec's. Depends on what your budget is.

If you're working inside the Loop it may be worth it to you to rent/buy in that neighborhood. Also depends on where inside the Loop you are working.

Houston is a great town with lots of museums, theatres, clubs, live music venues, etc. If you're patient and spend some time you can find most of them really easily. Just know that sometimes you're going to have to drive to get there. So what if our sports teams suck! We've got world class opera and symphony and ballet. And St. Arnold Brewery is somewhere around, too.

Spaceland's a pretty cool DZ, too, once you get to know it. Otters and a Caravan and SkyFest - woohoo!

C'mon! You're going to really like it here except in July and August.

Good luck!

Pretty much what she said. PM if you want more detailed information based on actual likely job location.

And no, it doesn't hold a candle to Sao Paulo in the dirty department :D

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

There are good and bad things. Traffic, lots of it! But it actaully moves faster than the other 5 big cities. Lots of good places to eat and a great selection on the types of food. A few great places for live music. Lots and lots of money here and the cost of living is still very low for the most part. But, since the Katrina people have invaded our city, crime has jumped something like 200% and the murder rate is off the charts. It is really that bad and these people stick out and they are here to stay! And the air pollution is pretty bad as well. I am only good for another few years in Houston, and then it is time for the mountains.:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I live in League City, which is actually Galveston county but my girlfriend commutes to downtown houston everyday. If I was in your position I'd opt for commuting over living in houston..but thats just me. After living in Fort lauderdale for 3 years I was hard pressed to find somewhere I enjoyed living but the Kemah, league city area fits the bill very nicely.

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

I'm an inner-looper. I've chosen to live here because I HATE commuting, and because it puts me in the hub of activity instead of on a spoke.

If you're a homebody and you want to buy and you'll be spending most of your free time at the DZ, buy in Pearland or near Waller. Outside the loop in the suburb communities, you'll find EVERYTHING you need in any one of 5,000 near identical shopping strips that spread for as far as the eye can see.

If (as you've said) you're young, single, into nightlife and being social in the city during the week, I'd advise midtown, the Heights, the Galleria, or the med center... and most neighborhoods in between.

Look into alternative living options as well - you don't just have to rent with some huge complex. There are lots of garage apartments in the Heights for example, where you might not even have to have a roommate. I rented a funky cute house for the last few years, and that totally rocked.

Good luck with the move!!

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I haven't decided what and where I want to live yet, all will really depend on where I get a job too. As for the roommate, I have a friend from up here who's looking at moving down as well. We started looking at some places and then looking at apartment ratings and all the places we thought were really nice looking had HORRIBLE reviews, either noise, poor management or outrageous utilities.

Which brings be to a question, for those of you who do live down there, what's your average electric run and then what does it run during the summer months?

We plan on coming down for an extended weekend in about 2 weeks, look at some places as well as get a feel for the city.

Last question, is there public transportation from the subs to downtown?

Thanks again everyone
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

I'd opt for commuting over living in houston..but thats just me

If I worked in town I'd move back there so fast your head would spin. I hate commuting (it's like lost time, even if you read on the Park-n-Ride).

You can get to so much stuff living in town.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Warning: long-ass post coming up

Utilities (gas went up a lot this year; before it was really cheap) depend a lot on how old and well-insulated your place is.

A mid-floor apartment (i.e. there's one above and one below) will be much cheaper than a top-story one particularly. I have a 2500-sq-ft house and my light bill rarely goes above $150, but I have a programmable thermostat, tile floors, ceiling fans, and I'm comfortable with the thermostat set at 81. Most people pay more.

There are park-and-rides (free parking and pay buses) that will get you to downtown, but if you work elsewhere it's van pools or drive yourself. I'd opt for the van pools myself most of the time; no need to pay for more gas and driving heartache than essential.

As far as crime, some parts of town are worse affected than others. But no one that I know personally in town has been personally affected that I know of. Some of it is more that the newspapers report everything. The murder rate is still lower than it was in the 80's.

Do stay away from the near southwest (just outside the loop, south and west of the Galleria). You really have to know the neighborhood, because many of them are high crime. Likewise most of the inside-loop area that's on the east side. There are very nice places, but you have to know which ones they are.

When I was living in apartments, I was generally trying to save money. So, well, they were cheap, and I did a lot of my own repairs rather than waiting for maintenance. It's not very expensive, and just easier than waiting. So no inputs there.

Wendy W.

Warning: long-ass post coming up

where? oh wait - I forgot you only have 128 K to work with....

Well, it's actually got 1K, with only the bottom 256K being directly addressable by the I/O system:ph34r:

But I just has a very short attention span -- that IS a long-ass post in my world :P

Wendy W.

I don't live there but I've been commuting there several times a month for over a year now.
I avoid hotels in the medical district as the crime rate is very high. The Galleria area is nice as well as West U. Houston has not gone through its housing boom yet, but some areas (West U, Galleria) have appreciated so I've been told.
Restaurants? There are plenty to choose from and most that I've been to are very good. For Sushi, I drive out to Sushi Jin at Dairy Ashford and Memorial - worth the drive and best I've had in town so far. (a good sign is to eat there later at night and there are several sushi chef's there for a late dinner).
A good Irish pub is Keneallys (sp? - I can't find a receipt) on Shephard. They make a kick ass thin crust pizza too (and I'm more of a Chicago pie pizza guy). Across the street is the Red Lion, an English pub.
Downtown good hangouts (I can't think of the name - locals help me out) is a small bar/tailor shop. Yes, you can order your finest brew and also get fitted for a shirt.

Edit to add - and yes, traffic does suck. The first lesson I would recommend is to discover the secret to the HOV lanes. Most of them (in my experience) you have to get off the highway to get on.
------
Michael

I'm a houstonian. i grew up in the montrose, the heights and spring branch, the montrose is a colorful blend of a neighboorhood, westhiemer street being the main artery of it all, Its close to down town and jsut about everything is only minutes away depending on traffic on the various different interstates, the neighbor hood has some great restaurants to offer, theres baba yega's at the end of missouri street, Ruggles has great food, katz' never closes and is a good place to go to after a night of dancing and mingling at numbers (#'s), if you want mexican food you can find la mexicana has great food, down the street is el paraiso, and more towards allen parkway you can go to
la jalasciense. just a geat neighboorhood with alot to offer.

down town there are several great after hours places to go to, ruggles has a club there, and theres the flying saucer that has great beer and atmosphere, theres a few techno bars that are close to st joseph but i wouldnt recommend goin there unless your familiar with that area,

if you hit up the richmond strip youll find a shit load of clubs like t-town, they have a hookah bar near there called kan yama kan(means once upon a time in arabic) good place to go with friends smoke tasty tobaccos and relax with friends,

then theres dave and busters which is like an adult chucky cheese, if you make it towards the spring branch area as you go along i-10 youll see the marq*e shopping center which has some more great restaurants,

not gonna go into the galleria on this one but all im gonna say is cheesecake factory

houstons got a an assload of malls, sharptown, memorial city, the galleria, and i think theres another in katy, if you get a chance stop by the rainforest cafe, great place to see specially when your drunk,

and an hour away from houston you can go to galveston island, another great place to visit, its jsut its own little world with the moody gardens, dickens on the strand, and the history of the place is amazing, FRESH seafood, man what a great place,

texas fuckin rules and i wish i hadnt left but im coming back i promise, if only to visit threadgils in austin on 6th street, or bocktober fest, tubin on the guadalupe, TEXAS IS the shit
Fly it like you stole it