stitch

Does "Calamine Lotion" really work??

Yes, but I prefer to use the Benadryl (sp?) cream on bites and stings. If its Poison Oak/Ivy/Sumac then there's something else I used...can't remember for the life of me. Go to Walgreens or whatever youv'e got and they'll have some specific stuff for what you've gotten into. Calamine lotion works, but there's some other better stuff on the market. Atleast in my experience.

If the Poison plant stuff is bad enough, go to the Doc and get a steriod shot. It'll stop the reaction and you'll be better then new in no time.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

s'OK. Ziradryl (green stuff right next to the Caladryl) is better. I don't know if it still exists, though.

When I get mosquito bites (not a lot of poison ivy where I go in shorts) I put a hydrocortisone cream on them. Probably not the best thing to do, but it does stop me from scratching them.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

YES!

Oh my gosh---Billy always laughs b/c my joke my entire life has been, "The bugs just love my sweet sugar."

I mean I only occassionaly wear perfume, I don't use scented products and regardless I'll get eaten alive if the bugs are out.

At camp it was actually B| to have pink dots all over your legs. Thank GOODNESS. I do believe I started that trend.;)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I came into work last week and found a bottle of meat tenderizer and ammonia on my desk. My dad said that after Steve Irwin died, he heard an "expert" on the radio saying that is the best way to treat any kind of stings or bites. I haven't tried it, but it probably won't hurt you.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

also if it you know you've come into contact with any of the poison plants (useful in the future) wash the area that came into contact w/in 2 hrs and you might be able to avoid getting a rash all together.

oh, you can also take an oral antihistamine to help relieve the itching.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

It's not really itching, it just won't go away.[:/]

an antihistamine might also help reduce the rash (both topical and/or oral) as the rash is basically an alergic reaction to the oils on the plants leaves. (btw: the only reason I know this stuff is that I'm very alergic to it.)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

You can go to the doctor and get a prednisone or cortisone shot. I used to be highly alergic to poison oak and poison ivy (i might still be but I am careful these days). When I had it really bad when i was younger my folks would take me to get the shots mentioned above and it would dry up in a couple of days.

If its Poison Oak/Ivy/Sumac then there's something else I used...can't remember for the life of me.

Rhuli Gel? I have a good outbreak going right now....ought to start clearing up pretty soon, but Rhuli Gel gets me through.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

How bad of an area is it? is it oozing?

The first thing you got to be concerned is about not letting it grow, by keeping it dry and clean, Calamine usually works, but then there are also powders that will also help it, it all depends, sometimes you need to keep reapplying calamine (at least 4 times a day) as the effects wears down, and wear shorts, maybe something not convenient for your work, or activities.

Oral medications will also be fine, but will not be as effective (in terms of time) to diminish the discomfort on your skin as Calamine lotion will do.

If it does not help within a week, consult a physician.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Hell no! I remember when I was 18 I got the chicken pox. The ONLY thing that would help was a six pack and benadryl...yes I mixed em...you would too if you had pox up nose, on your tounge, completly covering body, balls, and bung hole...hoooooly crap it was bad.

Hell no! I remember when I was 18 I got the chicken pox. The ONLY thing that would help was a six pack and benadryl...yes I mixed em...you would too if you had pox up nose, on your tounge, completly covering body, balls, and bung hole...hoooooly crap it was bad.

Yeah....I had it that bad when I was 27 (except for the balls part...lol). Just gotta knock yourself out. It's the only way.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I had pox everywhere too, but I was only 4. Calamine worked great!...except in my mouth. My mom said the only way for them to go away was for me to stop chewing on my favorite blanky and throw it out. I had it in my mouth at the time. I took it out, held it far away from me, took it out to the trash and slammed down the lid.:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Yeah....I had it that bad when I was 27 (except for the balls part...lol). Just gotta knock yourself out. It's the only way.

so you know exactly what I mean about the unstopable itching! I thought my face would never get back to normal...it looked like someone beat the crap out of me with a rake or a pitchfork...:S