Michele

Ow.

Anyone know what to do about severe jaw pain?

I've apparently been clenching my teeth and grinding them at night, courtesy of Algebra. I had another major exam last monday, and while I scored a 95, I know that I've been clenching my teeth whenever I pick up the book.

I didn't make the connection until today, however. I just spent 8 hours on 15 problems, working them and working them and working them...and then went to get dinner. I can't release my jaws too far, so I used a small fork and small bites. Managed to get dinner into me, but man, do my jaws hurt.

So does anyone have any idea what to do about this? I know - don't clench/grind in the first place. But that apparently isn't going to work. I massage the muscles as often as I remember, but that doesn't relieve the pain; just makes the jaw more mobile.

So, since I've got math to do for the foreseable future, does anyone have any suggestions?

It hurts, especially after eating...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

You might look for an over-the-counter mouth guard solution. That and some motrin or something for the pain. Try chewing gum while you're studying, that may help too. Other than that, I guess talking to a doctor wouldn't be a bad idea, since obviously, I'm not one of those...but I see enough of them everyday to play one on TV or the Internet... :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Go to your local drug store and get a mouth guard for nighttime. They're different than karate mouth guards in that they have more padding on the bottom edge, where you bite... a karate mouth guard will work in a pinch, but the other ones are better for teeth grinding. Anti-inflammatories and pain killers help in the short term, also. I grind my teeth when I'm stressed out also, and that's what helps me. Dr. Valdez suggested the mouthguard to me, and you know he's the best dentist in the world. =)

Mouthgrauds might be something I'll try, although I hate having them in my mouth (I feel like I am suffocating, even though my nose is not occluded...:S I'm weird like that...). I am trying Aleve tonight, and I'll take some IB 800 tomorrow during class (4 hours of math tomorrow in class...sigh...). If none of that works, I will be calling my GP on Monday or Tuesday, and see if he can't give me something a bit stronger, and also get some blood work done to assess my chemical levels (to see if they're adequate for right now...). Max, I will try the gum idea. It might help...at the very least, I'll remember to do something other than clench during class.

Triple F, I've never taken valium. I'm a valium virgin...and since three times a week I'm up at 5am getting ready for class, I'm not sure if it would work. Maybe just a shot of good whisky instead, before bed (but the meds I'm on preclude alcohol in general, and it's not a good sedative anyway). Maybe a shot before I start studying....;)

I freakin' hate algebra.

Sigh.

Ciels-
Michele

I didn't make the connection until today, however. I just spent 8 hours on 15 problems, working them and working them and working them...and then went to get dinner. I can't release my jaws too far, so I used a small fork and small bites. Managed to get dinner into me, but man, do my jaws hurt.

Have you tried chewing gum while you're working on the problems??

Just a thought that might help.

Keeps your jaw moving.

'Shell
'Shell

If you're getting such severe pain you really should get a custom made mouth guard. It looks like an Invisalign braces but you only wear it on the bottom teeth. When i got mine, i had relief the very first night i slept with it in. Since it's custom made and fits on your teeth perfectly, you can wear it during the day too. You would only need to take it out for eating (duh :P). I know it's a more expensive option, but it will be worth it.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Ciels-
Michele

Oh dearheart . . . I have JUST the thing . . . it does involve excersize though.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

"occluded"...
:D:D:D

your audience is skydivers and for the most part, "occluded" would not be within the limits of their written or verbal skills.

"stuffed-up"...bring it down to "stuffed-up"
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Sounds like you have TMJ. Go to your dentist and get a custom mouth guard. What's happening is you're wearing down the jaw joint, and need to relieve pressure, which the custom mouth guard does. I had this problem, and the mouth guard gave instant relief. As to why you're grinding your teeth, that's a different issue. Just wear the guard while you're doing algebra.
We are all engines of karma

She may not have TMJ at all, but exhibiting signs of stress relief.
Miche, I am currently suffering from the same affliction. It is the bodys natural way of relieving tension.
Try the mouth guard before you spend the money to go to the dentist. If the situation doesn't improve, make an appointment.
Oh and a bit of Ibupfrofen wont hurt either.:)

If algebra's stressing you out like this, think what calculus will do to you.

Isn't it a great thing that I don't have to take Calculus???

I will take gum with me this morning, and some Aleve...hopefully, that will help. I've got 4 hours' Algebra followed by 4 hours of Biology on Saturdays, so I'm pretty stressed already and it's not even class time yet (still have an hour...). Sigh...and a quiz in both classes.

Being a student at my age is not fun. Kids, don't drop out of college like I did...it's really hard when you're old.

Ciels-
Michele

I hear about this daily at work. Seeing your dentist ASAP is a great idea, but until you can do that, taking something like Advil and applying moist heat can help with the pain. (hot, damp towel OR fill a sock with some uncooked rice, tie up the open end, and heat in a microwave for 2-3 minutes....make sure it's not too hot before applying it to your jaw!)

Things that can make the problem worse are hard/crunchy foods and chewy foods! Do stay away from gum!! Getting a hard nightguard from a dentist is best, because he will analyze your bite and make sure your teeth are taking on even amounts of force. Those over-the-counter mouthguards have a little give to them, and people have a tendency to actually sort of pump on them....causing more pain.
Sorry, but they aren't cheap! However, getting one will also help prevent you from wearing your teeth down over time. The nightguard will just wear down a little over time instead. I hope you are pain-free soon!
I certainly didn't expect a first post to be about TMJ! Thank goodness I have a 3rd jump coming up next weekend and the AOT boogie to go watch today!

Do chew gum, it's a great solution....don't chew gum, it's the worst thing you could do....etc....
I'll tell you this - whoever you listen to in this thread, you're definitely doing the right thing getting your advice from assorted skydivers. Consulting a dentist makes no sense at all.
:):):):):)

Definitely go with the mouth guard. You don't want to stay on ibuprofen for too long. First try the mouth guards you buy in a drug store. This will save you some cash. If that one doesn't work, then I would see a dentist and get the custom one that Sunshine suggested. A bit more pricey though. Mine cost $400. I never suffered from the severe jaw pain, but I did pop a tooth from the grinding. Due to the pressure on the molar, a gap formed between the top of my tooth and my gum. Not good to have if you don't eventually want a root canal. I got it sealed and use the mouth guard. A lot cheaper than the damage that will be done to your teeth if you keep grinding.

Good luck,
Chris

Hey, angelsmilyface dude...

I ask from friends if I have no immediate solution at hand. You'd be surprised at some of the help I've gotten here on various subjects, and specifically since I can't afford the dentist at the moment, and it's a temporary, stress induced issue (in other words, when math is done, I'll not have this to worry about as I don't normally do this).

So :P to you.

Turtle, if you have something small enough to have fit my jaws last night, I wouldn't be advertising it...:$:).

Just to let you all know, chewing gum did not help. What helped was the IB 800 and being very aware of it during maths today; whenever I noticed that I was doing it, I would sort of rotate my jaw around and "stretch" the muscles out. I chewed gum specifically to pay attention to my mouth, however...and that did help. Once I get the $$ to see the dentist, I will go to him and consult him about this.

And just fyi, I got a 10/10 on the quiz.

Ciels-
Michele

Michele, chewing gum might not be the best thing for your jaw! I have TMJ, right now it's under control because I use a nightguard at night. If you can try to remember to relax your jaw without any teeth touching during the day, that would help. I find you have to make that a conscience effort though, one not easy to remember! Avoid eating hard chewing foods too. I hope you get some relief!

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.