sparrella

Quantum Leap survivor

Hey everybody:

I want to thank you for all the kind messages you have sent my way. It has been a tough several weeks and your good wishes have meant a-lot. I share with you the sentiments you expressed about the victims and their families. I lost five friends on that load. They were all good people and I will miss them forever.

Today is the first day I could sit up long enough to use my computer. The Docs tell me that I won't recover the use of my legs due to a burst fracture in the T 4 area. I also had some problems with my lungs that hsve recently healed, so I should be able to start physical therepy this week.

I don't remember anything about the crash. All I can say is that I was going to video a tandem and probably strapped in by the aft bulkhead. The Feds have my tape. I have no idea what's on it.

The other survivor is currently getting PT on an out patient basis and is expected to make a full recovery. She broke her pelvis and had some spinal injuries. I spoke to her a few days ago and she has a remarkable spirit. I would give aynthing to be there when she finally makes her first jump.

I wish I could add more information about the accident. I've been an airline pilot for 22 years and have been trained as an accident investigator. I have no explanation for my lack of memory. It could have been head trauma, or that I was heavily sedated for a week after the crash. In any case, I share your frustration that the exact cause may never be known.

I wish all of you blue skies and hope your jumps are safe, fun, and rewarding.

Steve Parrella

The greatest enemy of the truth is not a lie, the greatest enemy of the truth is a myth.

Steve, Brother Man!!! You were there for my first jump, and through AFF to getting my license. I am so sorry that you suffered the injury but I am so glad you are alive today. I will come by the hospital and visit you again.

Heal well, my friend. I look forward to you chewing me out for landing the wrong way again....or landing the taxiway..........

Blue Skies

Steve (Hodgkins)

Just in case you all don't know what Snow White is talking about, Steve gave a really nice seminar at the WFFC on human factors and safety, complete with PowerPoint presentation.

He has also done great work as S&TA at Quantum Leap Skydiving.

It has been a long road to recovery for Steve and we are all eager to see him get most things back to normal, at least as much as he can. The long stay in the hospital has been a real drag for him.

Steve..

I'm glad to see that you're getting back to yourself again. I tried to see you in the hospital, but we weren't allowed back to see you.

I cant wait to have a beer with you when you're able to..

Get Better Soon Bro..

Rick Homeier

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

It is so nice of you to post and let us know you're on the mend. I don't know you, but I'm happy that you are still here with us and I wish you all the strength you need to heal. But then again, I think you already have that. Bless you...and blue skies always.~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

Hi Steve

What a Big step, being able to sit up and type.
Thanks so much for the personal update.

I hope Robyn told you I stopped by a week ago Sat.
Sorry you were not feeling up to visitors.

I will be passing through STL on my way home from KC this Sunday and will try to stop in.

Stay tough, my friend.

OSAAT!!!

Cin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

Hello Steve,
it is great to hear you and the tandem passenger are doing well, hopefully the doctors are wrong about you ability to walk. I had the pleasure of meeting and jumping with Robert Cook in the past few months and i was devastated to hear of his loss. From what i understand his passenger attributes her life to his efforts so that and your recovery is some consolation.

Hey Steve:

Tried to write yesterday, loved what I wrote, then the computer froze up and I lost it >:(. I don't think I can come close to replicating everything I said but ...

I've been thinking about you a lot and how I need to get to the hospital to see you. I was glad to read your post and sometimes it amazes me the strength and character you and Kim show and how your spirits can be so uplifting. You both have endured a lot and have big challenges ahead yet you care and have such concern for others while you make us laugh and smile.

Please know Steve that in your road to recovery, if there is anything I can do, ANYTHING at all for you or Robyn, please just ask. I will be there as your friend. If hospital food sucks, I'll bring you Aldos or something else. If you are bored, I'll bring you movies, I'll come hang out, if you ever need or want to talk ... I know I need and want to talk but it is akward and I feel lost.

I think about you and Robyn, the eight of you who were on board, our friends and families every day. Parts of me feel immobilized and depressed which prevents me from doing much about it. I don't know what to do [:/] I show up to anything that says Quantum Leap on it and other than that I have just been spending a lot of time with Dakota. That has been a good thing but I miss my friends.

So at the very least I just wanted to write and say Hi and that you guys are in my thoughts, and how much I miss our QL family. I also want you to know Steve that we will get through this and that wherever our QL family ends up, we want and need you there with us. Next year there is going to be a QL 4 way team (if I have anything to say about it) and we are going to need a decent coach.

------>>> Enter: (Airspeed Boy)

Anyway, just a thought to let you know how much you are missed and needed. Who will I go to to show me how to do the Meeker exit or the Stairstep? Who will I go to when I need something explained to me about airplanes that I don't get?

So just remember Steve, that you can call me anytime day or night; that you and Robyn are so in my thoughts, and that Dakota sends her love and wants you to get better soon. Please let me know when a good time would be to come and visit.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Hi Steve

Sorry to read about your accident......

Just thought i'd drop you a quick line as I lost the use of my legs 2 years ago(T5)....
I have a quadraplegic friend (crashed into a mountain while hangliding) so I'm relieved to have the use of my arms!

I remember nothing about my accident either

Rehab is tough...... but it's great to become independent again.

i live alone, work, drive, party and have a great life.....
you will gain control of everything again....

Have to dash now as in the middle of writng a speech for parents golden Wedding Anniversay tomorrow....but feel free to ask me anything .......

Hugs

Karen

Steve,

I know you will see great improvements in your health real soon. I was devastated to hear of the accident.

I tried to visit you twice at the hospital, but they say you are not "in the computer"

I want to thank you for all of your help and patience teaching me to skydive. I wish I could repay you somehow. Getting better will be the greatest reward of all. I am going to Georgia for 2 weeks to complete my training for the A license. Man I sure wish it was you that were doing it with me and giving me the final check dive.

You are a remarkable person in all that you have done. This will be just a little setback only to have you conquer it too. I pray for you and Robyn all the time.

Godspeed and Blue Skies,

Randy Colvin

Hey Steve!
I just wanted to let you know that you are an awesome person!
I've met you once, and you've made a lasting impression on me. I made my 1st jump with you and Dave on the day of the accident. It was the greatest feeling I have ever felt! Amazingly my video, that you shot, showed up in my mailbox (something I did not expect). It is fabulous, you did such a great job capturing one of the very best moments of my life.
I'm sorry for the loss of your comrades and everyone's loved ones, but I'm also thankful and happy that you are still here.
Thank you Steve for making an impact on my life!

~Nicole

PS. I don't know if you like dogs, but I have 2 certified TOUCH therapy dogs that visit the hospitals in this area. If you'd ever feel up to a visit from a furry friend I can hook you up!

Steve!

So good to hear from you and to know that you have come so far in your recovery. I tried to visit you twice but you were not allowed visitors. You and Robyn have definitely been in my thoughts and prayers.

I am so sorry for what you have been through but so happy that you are alive and on the mend. Stay strong my friend! Big hugs to you both.

Ruth