cowboybob

super raven for main?

There's a guy I know that jumps at Goshen that uses his old raven 3 (254') for a main. He loads it about .8. He likes it fine for flying and has nice landings for a non-ZP. The openings are rough though, it is a reserve and opens quick. He just bought a new rig with a Sabre 2 to get softer openings.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Raven's were sold as mains and reserves. I jumped a big one for a couple of years after I busted up an ankle. There is nothing wrong with a Raven or any other 7 cell non zp canopy as long as you know what your getting. Thats all we had for 15 years.

The canopy will "wear out" as the permiability of the fabric increases. Expect to have a life of 500 to 800 jumps. YMMV Usually they had dacron lines and the lines, other than steering lines, ususally lasted the life of the canopy. They are not as sensitive to trim so we never worried about it. We RARELY ever loaded them to 1:1. I was jumping an oversized main with my bad ankle at 0.7.

Later I had a Manta. I had these big canopies because I couldn't take a running step. If I had any forward speed left I had to slide the landing on my butt. Then that changed and I bought my first ZP, a Sabre 190. I had both the Manta 280 (non zp) and the Sabre 190 in two rigs that I jumped interchangably. Out the door was about 230. (I put on weight when I couldn't excersise anymore.) When I wanted a guarenteed soft landing I grabbed the Sabre.;)

Ravens only open hard relatively speaking. But then I think a Spectre and a Sabre 2 are streamers that eventually clear.:P I like my mains to open in 300-400 ft at terminal but I'm also comfortable getting out at 2000'. Most people these days consider these hard openings.

If you have limited funds and only want your main to safely land you after your skydive is finished then a 7 cell non zp will do the job. Just make sure it's big enough. Also if you have to go slow and steep into a demo or tight area a big non zp will do that well. IF you want to fly your canopy as part of the fun and not just because you can't survive a terminal landing then you need a newer design.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Ravens only open hard relatively speaking. But then I think a Spectre and a Sabre 2 are streamers that eventually clear. I like my mains to open in 300-400 ft at terminal but I'm also comfortable getting out at 2000'. Most people these days consider these hard openings.

I dunno... I put one jump on a raven 170 (dunno which model that is) to test it when someone was complaining of a built-in turn. It opened MUCH harder than my PD150, which I'd say opens fast but not "hard." I've been jumping the PD150 all winter while my Sabre2 was getting relined. It's like slamming the brakes in your car. The raven was more like hitting a brick wall. The sabre2... ahhhh... jumped it saturday... it's like jumping into a pool of jello.

The raven flew fine... like driving a bus I guess. Landed ok, for an old 7-cell.

Dave

I jumped my old Raven I reserve as a main for a few years, I weighed 130-135ish without gear. Worked fine..then the zp canopies came out and I made the switch.

Nothing wrong IMO with jumping one but I do think they are best lightly loaded. I remember thinking I would not have wanted a smaller one back then for landings. It's been over 12 years so I really don't remember any other details, though.

There is absolutely nothing wrong for you to use this as your main!
It is my main and has been so for a few years. I have my reasons......
If money is your issue and you just need something to keep you from bouncing after a jump then it is good, if you want to practice accuracy on every jump then it is good, etc.....

Just don't overload it and roll the nose:)

ya, I only do a few skydives a year, maybe bridge day, I am ok with f111, like you said , as long as you do not load them up to bad. For a strickly skydiving canopy z p is the way to go for most people. I never jumped tired f111, but I have seen a few tired rags sold to new jumpers, and I watched them thump in!!! And, then you here these people say, man don't buy one of those, I had one they are crap, go figure.

I never jumped tired f111, but I have seen a few tired rags sold to new jumpers, and I watched them thump in!!! And, then you here these people say, man don't buy one of those, I had one they are crap, go figure.

People often talk about things they don't know much about. As long as you treat a F111 canopy like you're supposed to, it should be fine. Listen to Scott :)
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Ravens only open hard relatively speaking. But then I think a Spectre and a Sabre 2 are streamers that eventually clear. I like my mains to open in 300-400 ft at terminal but I'm also comfortable getting out at 2000'. Most people these days consider these hard openings.

Yeah, I hear that Terry... one day we're going to have a bunch of "kids" telling us that doing hop-n-pops from 2 to 3 grand isn't "safe".

:P

----

Remember, the purpose of a main is to get you down safe when performing an intentional descent from an aircraft using a parachute. A Super Raven that isn't ragged out or overloaded will do that just fine... you just won't "look cool" in the eyes of a lot of folks in the sport doing it, but you're not supposed to die either.
;)

Yeah, I hear that Terry... one day we're going to have a bunch of "kids" telling us that doing hop-n-pops from 2 to 3 grand isn't "safe".

They all ready are.>:(
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I remember when opening above 3 was considered "unsafe." Have no problem with a hop-n-pop at 2, just let me change out my Spectre for something a little more crisp... :P

But then its now possible for a 1000 jumper to never have gotten out below 9k, except for those extremely low student short delays at 5k... :o

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Well, then let's really freak em out and drag a 2-way off at 3.5, snap a point or two, track, dump... pack opening by 2K, of course... :)

;)