matt1215

Why not to jump a commercial flight

On my flight today, I got to thinking about why I wouldn't want to jump out.

1. Decompressing the cabin at 35k would piss a lot of people off.
2. Jump run on a 757's a bit fast.
3. The spot would be WAY off.
4. It's f'n cold that high, air's real thin too.
5. I didn't bring my parachute

On my flight today, I got to thinking about why I wouldn't want to jump out.

1. Decompressing the cabin at 35k would piss a lot of people off.
2. Jump run on a 757's a bit fast.
3. The spot would be WAY off.
4. It's f'n cold that high, air's real thin too.
5. I didn't bring my parachute

I'd probably put those in reverse order. But that's just me. :P:)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

whaa... considering there is no air to breath the first 3-4 minutes of freefall... you'd be death before arriving the deck anyway...

Not true. A jump from 35,000 without a bailout system wouldn't be the most intelligent move in the universe, but it's far from unsurvivable.

It'd take a minute or so (probably less due to thinner air) to get down to 24,000MSL, approximately where I've jumped from without bailout oxygen. Another 30-40 seconds or so and you're into quite a bit thicker air.

You might be a little loopy as you pass into the "normal" skydiving altitudes, but I'd say chances are good for a person to be quite functional in time to safely get a canopy out, especially if he/she is a healthy non-smoker.

EDIT: That having been said, you'd be one chilly mofo, that's for sure.

EDIT2: I didn't take into account "Putting on the rig and getting out of the damned plane", I know, but you only mentioned the freefall part. You could use an in-aircraft mask while you prepare.
cavete terrae.

EDIT2: I didn't take into account "Putting on the rig and getting out of the damned plane", I know, but you only mentioned the freefall part. You could use an in-aircraft mask while you prepare.

Whilst you try to beat the crap out the hundred other people who are dead set on getting your rig from you, for themselves:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Whilst you try to beat the crap out the hundred other people who are dead set on getting your rig from you, for themselves:D:D:D

That's why I'm already wearing mine when I get on the plane, under a hooded sweatshirt. I just walk like I'm a hunchback, never gets a second look :D:D
cavete terrae.

It'd take a minute or so (probably less due to thinner air) to get down to 24,000MSL, approximately where I've jumped from without bailout oxygen. Another 30-40 seconds or so and you're into quite a bit thicker air.

You might be a little loopy as you pass into the "normal" skydiving altitudes, but I'd say chances are good for a person to be quite functional in time to safely get a canopy out, especially if he/she is a healthy non-smoker.

Don't think you'd have a minute to work with:

Tlme of useful
consciousness
Altitude (ft) without oxygen

40,000 15 seconds
35.000 20 seconds
30,000 30 seconds
28,000 1 minute
26,000 2 minutes
24,000 3 minutes
22,000 6 minutes
20,000 10 minutes
15.000 Indefinite

Doesn't make much sense because we can all hold our breath for longer than that, but I think it has to do with the lack of pressure and how blood transfers O2 around in your body.

Maybe you'd wake back up before hitting the ground. I know someone who passed out on a 24k jump and woke up at 8k or so.

Tlme of useful
consciousness

40,000 15 seconds
35.000 20 seconds
30,000 30 seconds
28,000 1 minute
26,000 2 minutes
24,000 3 minutes
22,000 6 minutes
20,000 10 minutes
15.000 Indefinite

Doesn't make much sense because we can all hold our breath for longer than that, but I think it has to do with the lack of pressure and how blood transfers O2 around in your body.

Maybe you'd wake back up before hitting the ground. I know someone who passed out on a 24k jump and woke up at 8k or so.

Note though, it's time of USEFUL consciousness. You might be tumbling, but you're still awake, and you recover from conscious tomfuckery faster than you do hypoxic unconsciousness.
cavete terrae.

Note though, it's time of USEFUL consciousness. You might be tumbling, but you're still awake, and you recover from conscious tomfuckery faster than you do hypoxic unconsciousness.

I think it has more to do with the partial presure ofO2 in the air, you need a minimum ammount in your body to be able to maintain conciousness. A residual volume of O2
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

hmmm... last time i was in a commercial plane, they had actual oxygen tanks near the flight attendants jumpseat... just grab one of those, with the mask, turn it on, and hold on tight.. so what if you are unstable holding it, .. you just need it till get to a breathable altitude, then ditch the thing, track away from it, deploy
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

from what I understand about the world highest Tandem skydive (w/o the TM having Oxygen) the pair jumped from 30,100 ft the Tandem Master didn't take oxygen on the plane (the passenger did) thus the TM lost consensiousness for for a bit before tossing the drouge... around 9,000 ft.

I understand he doesn't suggest others trying it themselves... :D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

whaa... considering there is no air to breath the first 3-4 minutes of freefall... you'd be death before arriving the deck anyway...

But still... I take my canopy as hand lugage... just in case :) hehehe.

What would you be doing in your next 3 to 4 minutes?

Besides Bouncing . . . .

if you get more than 3 - 4 minutes of freefall - you are alot higher than 32000 ft.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Would there be any conceivable way to get your Cypres to work, just in case you're unconcious on the way down?

If you turned it on before boarding, it wouldn't be accurate, being that the cabin would be pressurized around 8-10K, then suddenly depressurize. I think it would probably shut itself down at some point.

If you turned it on after de-pressurization, maybe you could "quickly" set the alternate landing altitude? to be 30,000 lower than your take off altitude :P

Thanks Mark, was wondering about that :D. Probably less time for me since I normally drink on planes that I don't intend to jump out of.

I guess taking the oxygen tank and ditching it around 20k would be the way to go. Not sure how one would set their Cypres, but I like the idea of putting the rig under a hoodie.

And the dude jumping a tandem w/o oxygen from 30k, WTFO? :S:D

Tlme of useful
consciousness

40,000 15 seconds
35.000 20 seconds
30,000 30 seconds
28,000 1 minute
26,000 2 minutes
24,000 3 minutes
22,000 6 minutes
20,000 10 minutes
15.000 Indefinite

hmmm... last time i was in a commercial plane, they had actual oxygen tanks near the flight attendants jumpseat... just grab one of those, with the mask, turn it on, and hold on tight.. so what if you are unstable holding it, .. you just need it till get to a breathable altitude, then ditch the thing, track away from it, deploy

I can see it now the FBI will be hijacking this thread in 5....4....3....2....
Daniel
Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones
Tasers - Pepper Spray - Stun Guns and more!
www.dallassecuritysupply.com