odyssey11

Digital Alti

Yeah this is another one of those questions.
I searched the posts but didn't see anything recent to help me with my decision, so thanks for any info:)
Neptune or Viso.

I already have an audible so I am just looking for a digital visual alti.
I am not swooping yet but will someday.
I primarily want it for accurate information about my canopy flight. Such as how much altitude I lose during different maneuvers, how fast I'm going etc.
And for the logging features.
I've read a lot of bad reviews about the neptune but they seem to be kinda old. I know they have had a lot of bugs in the past are they resolved?
Do the batteries still die real fast?
Does the viso come with better mounting capabilities yet?

If there is anything else I'm not considering feel free to weigh in.
Thanks again for any help:)

I use an AlitTrack and I get all of that with the analog display. Download the data with JumpTrack and I get logbook and graphed jump profile.
Had a really cool graph on my one chop...
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

neptunes are good when they work, but be very very careful with it if you get it. I didn't have the protection on mine, that is not included, then, dropped it from a little less than waist high. *i have short legs* Now the bottem partion of the screen is whiped out. Luckily for me, it is not hindering any important information. Day before, someone else at the dropzone dropped theirs, and it took out the entire screen. I think theirs had the protection on it. Neptune is a good product, when it is working correctly. When i get a new one, I will be getting the Viso
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Alti-2 has recently come out with a new version of their Armor. This one has an additional glass plate bonded to the silicon.

If you have a damaged LCD screen, find your nearest field service rep, and have them send it in for repairs!

Alti-2 has recently come out with a new version of their Armor. This one has an additional glass plate bonded to the silicon.

If you have a damaged LCD screen, find your nearest field service rep, and have them send it in for repairs!

for the damage that mine has, it is not worth sending it in for an $85 charge. I think that alti-2 should seriously consider adding the armor as part of the alti, i think it is bad business practice for a product to vitally need this armor, and not have it included.. Just another way to make money.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

OK so the general idea I'm getting is neptunes suck.
L&B is winning the race.

I disagree. You're not hearing people say they suck, just that they need armor. They have a nice BIG screen which is a bit fragile without the new armor, but all their features more than make up for it. I LOVE my neptune, all the features are awesome. The Viso has some wierd plastic case that you need to use to wrist/hand mount which I don't trust to not open (though it should act as armour).

The best thing about the neptune compared to the VISO is that it has a graphical LCD as compared to the VISO's segmented LCD which allows it to display a lot more information. Get a neptune with the new armour and you'll love it as I love mine.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

In case you haven't heard about it, Alti-2 has the Neptune2 coming out really soon. http://www.alti-2.com/sport/neptune/Neptune2.htm.

Don't let that stop you from buying a regular old Neptune right now though... they actually upgraded the hardware to the Neptune2 a long time ago without saying anything. And the software can be upgraded for free (by you, Alti-2, or by one of their Field Service Members). Lots of great new features. Even very old Neptunescan be upgraded to the Neptune2 software and get all the new features except for the increased logbook size.

You can also get a Neptune with some crazy graphics: http://www.alti-2.com/sport/neptune/NeptuneGraphics.htm. Doesn't cost much extra for that.

And yeah, if you plan to wear it on your wrist, get the Armor2: http://www.alti-2.com/sport/neptune/Armor2.htm. Cheap insurance for the Neptune. Saw a test unit at Alti-2... maybe the one from that video, I dunno... the crystal lens on the Armor2 was completely smashed and the neptune was completely undamaged underneath. Pretty impressive.

BTW, the batteries last me quite a while... at least a couple hundred jumps if not more. I buy em for under $3 each.

Dave

I've never had a problem with my Neptune.

I've had it 3 years and just put my 3rd battery in it.

I get a kick out of you guys who break your stuff and blame it on the stuff.

...It sucks because I dropped it and it broke...
:D:D:D
You must REALLY hate eggs.
Maybe a 747 flight data recorder would be just what you need.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

So I went with Neptune, got the armor, and paralog just for fun:)
It seems to have everything I need and I like the wrist mount better than the viso mount.
The graphic display is big and clear, nice and easy to see with a quick glance.
I also wasn't a big fan of the plastic case the viso comes with for protection.
Updates are cool too.
I let you know how it works after I put 50 or so jumps on it and drop it a few times:)

Viso's are crap.

I disagree...

The Viso and Optima do exactly what they are supposed to do, and they do it well. I frequently watch the change in altitude on the ride up and they sync almost exactly.

My Viso has taken a beating pulling in static lines and bags on several occassions and it hasn't missed a beat.

L&B customer service has been prompt, and friendly when I ask questions. They even sent me a new mounting system to demo.

Some people get frustrated until they figure out the entry sequence to access L&B product (including me). After you get it down they are functional and easy to navigate.

So, what experience have you had to draw the conclusion that the Viso is "crap"?

Hurray for L&B's Viso :)
When I got mine, it came with a great hand mount (http://www.l-and-b.dk/images/products/viso_003.jpg ) instead of the crappy wrist mount (nb: the "protektor" is not included in the package).

Navigating to and operating the basic functions are very straight forward.

I already had a Protrack and all I wanted was a visible digital altimeter. That's what the Viso is. That's why I bought it.

So, what experience have you had to draw the conclusion that the Viso is "crap"?

I was just kidding. If you read earlier posts I said that the neptune sucks. It just seems you gotta insult a product to get people to come out and tell you why it's good.

In reality both the neptune and the viso are great products. They do what they were designed to do and are backed by solid companies with great service. I'm sure there are bad stories about both but overall they are good products.

I made my decision to buy a neptune based on relatively small things. I'm sure I would have been happy with either one. Maybe someone at my dz will have a viso I can try out, so I can make a good comparison.
Thanks for all the input:)