grue

Oh jesus, the diamond commercials are already back?

Three months of shite ads from now until Valentine's Day!

Remember, to show your woman you really love her, you must buy a chunk of carbon mined by people in near-slave like conditions controlled by companies who, if they released their entire stocks of diamonds, would saturate the market and the price would drop.

Also remember, it's an INVESTMENT, even though if you ever try and resell them, you'll get far, far less than you paid.

I am -so- buying lab diamonds if I ever find myself in a situation fucked up enough where my SO feels she NEEDS something with diamonds. Better quality without the fucked up ethics of the cartels.

(As much as I abhor the diamond cartels, their marketing really is genius. I think that's one of the reasons I hate them, actually)
cavete terrae.

Also remember, it's an INVESTMENT, even though if you ever try and resell them, you'll get far, far less than you paid.

That really depends on what kind of diamond you buy. A high quality stone that was certified by one of the the two major groups, then you'll be better off. Something "certified" by your local jeweler? Well, good luck. Buying something from a national chain store? Well, good luck.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That really depends on what kind of diamond you buy. A high quality stone that was certified by one of the the two major groups, then you'll be better off. Something "certified" by your local jeweler? Well, good luck. Buying something from a national chain store? Well, good luck.

You'll be "better off", but it's still a joke.

Why anyone would still buy a mined stone is beyond me.

Two diamonds at Price X. Diamond 1 is twice the size of Diamond 2, and is higher quality. Why would anyone buy Diamond 2?
cavete terrae.

Why would anyone buy Diamond 2?

Someone has to support the near-slave-labor in the diamond mines. We'd hate to see those mine managers go hungry.

Apparently. B|

I'm not normally a person empathic towards those in bad conditions, but that situation pisses me off.
cavete terrae.

It's about the meaning behind the rock on the finger. Not the rock itself! (At least for me:)

Then once again size shouldn't matter.
Good to see I'm not the only one that dislikes the commercials.

Exactly!

Why the hell would anyone give a sh*t about the size of the rock, if it's really about the "meaning" behind it? I am so fed up with some women proudly showing off their latest toys, and all those oooh's and aaah's they get in response! :S I just don't get it, period. I do like some natural stones, but diamonds are not among them. To me, diamonds have absolutely no natural beauty -- it's just a freaking piece of glass, for all I care. But of course, it's just me. Couple of years ago I brought an opal pendant for my wife from Australia -- a beautiful stone, and it was locally mined there in Australia. Does it have a meaning behind it? Hell yes! Does it cost nearly as much as a diamond? Hell no! Does the price actually matter for any person who is not totally shallow? Well, you decide...

And yes, I hate those commercials, too... :S
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

Three months of shite ads from now until Valentine's Day!

Remember, to show your woman you really love her, you must buy a chunk of carbon mined by people in near-slave like conditions controlled by companies who, if they released their entire stocks of diamonds, would saturate the market and the price would drop.

\\\
I am -so- buying lab diamonds if I ever find myself in a situation fucked up enough where my SO feels she NEEDS something with diamonds. Better quality without the fucked up ethics of the cartels.

(As much as I abhor the diamond cartels, their marketing really is genius. I think that's one of the reasons I hate them, actually)

Apollo Diamonds is now selling cultured diamonds directly to the public. Just email them and they send you back an email telling you how to purchase. The web store isn't operational yet (at least, as of three weeks ago).

My husband proposed to me, in a very romantic setting, on Valentine's day with a candy heart that said "marry me". I replied with a candy heart that said "I do". I encased both of the hearts and the sweet card he made for me.

He later bought me a pretty diamond ring and for our anniversary, a pretty sapphire. The only rings I have ever owned. But I still adore the candy heart, and its meaning much more. I agree, marketing has a lot to do with people thinking that it's needed for love. It's not. I would happily give up both rings right now for him to sleep by my side just tonight (he is in Iraq).

I have a friend who had a very expensive wedding, with a $5000 dress and $12000 ring,..only for the marriage to crumble in less than two years. Some people put more emphasis on the symbols, and the wedding than they do on the marriage. it's a shame.
Jen

T to show your woman you really love her, you must buy a chunk of carbon mined by people in near-slave like conditions controlled by companies who, if they released their entire stocks of diamonds, would saturate the market and the price would drop.

Vskydiver found out about all this years ago, and has forbidden me to buy her any more diamonds. She's fine with gold, just no overpriced rocks.

When we got engaged,my husband told me it would be awhile before he could save up the $ for a ring.I told him not to bother.I'd rather have 2 nicely done matching wedding bands and save the $ he would have used on a ring to spend on us doing something nice together or something we both wanted/needed.So we went to James Avery b/c they dont bug you the way regular jewelry store workers do, woking on comission and you still get very good quality that includes a life-time warrenty on any and all future damages.I'd been engaged before,had fancy diamonds then and it meant nothing to me.So, the size of the rock does not determin the happiness of the couple.

Neither did I want a big circus wedding with all the stress that entails.We had a JP wedding with just our immediately family.If I ever changed my mind we could wait until an anniversary and renew our vows with a nice simple ceremony.The only thing I would have liked to have out of a proper wedding would have been professional pictures of us,which we dont have.But thats easily fixed too.

I've never been a big fan of diamonds.I'd much rather have a saphire,emrald,opal,jade etc.Blue and black opals are my favorite.I've never been a big jewelry person.I have a box full of stuff received over the years as gifts and I dont wear them.I usually just wear my wedding band,1other ring,and a watch.

I dont need jewelry to prove he loves me.He does stuff every day to show it...little things are so much more important.

attached..our wedding band design.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

At one point, the market became saturated with small stones, so the diamond marketers came up with the "anniversary ring". It is 5 small stones. Problem solved.

These guys have an incredible scam going.
If you don't spend enough on a ring to make the salesman rich, then he exhibits the look of "so, your b/f doesn't really like you" to the woman. No winning choice there.

This past year, my husband was asking what I wanted for my 30th birthday. He asked if I wanted jewelry (diamond earrings or "something").

Instead,..he got me a nice new rig. No jewelry in the world would beat a brand new rig in saying "I love you".

Maybe we should start our own anniversary, engagement or Valentine commercials for skydivers. "Only 3 months salary will buy him/her the rig of their dreams! There is no other way to say 'I love you' in the skydiving world!"

:P
Jen

This past year, my husband was asking what I wanted for my 30th birthday. He asked if I wanted jewelry (diamond earrings or "something").

Instead,..he got me a nice new rig. No jewelry in the world would beat a brand new rig in saying "I love you".

Now, THAT's really cool! B| I am all in favour of practical gifts, and this one is the greatest idea! :)
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

I love diamonds (real, good quality diamonds). I do feel bad for diamond miners and their health + safety conditions. But considering I occasionally drink coffee, needlessly contribute to the degradation of the environment by jumping out of planes, wear branded tennis shoes, and commit a million other exploitative atrocities I really shouldn't. I'm not going to try and pretend that diamond miners (though their plight does affect me especially in consideration of the market value of the product) affect whether I wear and buy diamonds.

Diamonds are expensive, they are also incredibly beautiful with a cold fire inside them that is breathtaking. Looking and I mean really looking at a good quality (VVS1 or above) with a good colour (F and above) diamond is mesmerising. However, I agree if diamonds don't mean anything to you then its not worth the fuss. Each person is different. I like and will wear diamonds. I will buy my own but I will also want a diamond engagement ring, its something I (if I get married) will (hopefully) wear for the rest of my life. More important than cost to me is: does the man who wants to spend the rest of his life with me understand my taste- what I would actually choose to wear for the rest of my life. I think thats the real significance of a ring - does your partner understand you. For some that means a 2 carat sparkler for others it means a rig. To each their own, they can both signify love.

Very nicely done. :)

Thank you.I love it b/c its simple but also not just the average ordinary plain band.Having the 2 tone white and yellow gold was just enough to set it apart.Plus we were divided on if we wanted a white or yellow gold set,so we did both,Voila!Problem solved.:)

As for the anniversary rings,lets not forget the 3 diamond "past present and future" rings.That seems to be the big thing the last few years.:S

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

I admit,.. I am a spoiled wife. Spoiled with love from my husband. Just for the record, he is a very spoiled husband too! It has to be mutual.

I have a beautiful platinum diamond engagement ring (with matching platinum wedding band), platinum natural sapphire ring AND my rig. My whole point though, is that all of that is just material stuff. My husband really spoils me when he supports my passions and my dreams. When he draws me little cartoons every morning. When he is affectionate all the time. These are the things that are important. If you don't have these things in a relationship, than no diamond ring or no rig will make up for it.
Jen

You're a very lucky woman and I'm sure he is an equally lucky man.

I think my point is that if you like diamonds then great - if not don't bother with them. (Which you did in choosing a rig). I'd also agree with you that a man could buy me a ring that costs the same as a house but if he doesn't know and love me then all I really have is a house on my finger and no matter how pretty it may be... it wouldn't be worth it.

I just thought I would defend diamonds as they can't speak up for themselves... :P:)

There is something about a pretty ring making your hand and fingers look pretty too! It feels good to be girly sometimes;)

I think you're right. There are scams and marketing issues with everything (especially luxury items). And in a capitalistic society, there is always the underclass that slaves for near nothing to make big money for "cartels" (coporate giants or whatever you want to call them).
Jen

There is something about a pretty ring making your hand and fingers look pretty too! It feels good to be girly sometimes;)

hehe. you're right.

Years ago, a guy I was dating gave me a gorgeous birthstone ring for my birthday. I have a terrible habit of biting my nails, but when I was wearing that every day, I didn't bite, I guess because I knew the ring attracted attention to my hands, so I tried to keep them looking nice. Course, after we broke up, I didn't wear it anymore, and went back to chewing my nails.

hmm... maybe I should go buy myself a pretty ring to wear when i finally start getting a paycheck again. It seemed to work before. The lab created emeralds are really pretty, and not too expensive.