mattyblast

Dealing w/ poor customer service

I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences with poor customer service (as it relates to skydiving only, please). How did you handle it...did you lay the smack down or just be a pacifist? How was the issue resolved? How would you have handled it if you could approach the issue again?
"DOOR!!!"

I told em that was the deciding factor as to why I wound NOT buy their brand again. I had that conversation with a rigger last weekend about that particular mfgr. and he agreed.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I was going to say something to a particular manufacturer but ended up letting it go because someone who claimed to know the owner scolded me because they thought I was going to "be mean".

I had a problem with another that just left me hanging when I would contact them to ask questions about my order and when I spoke up about it in a professional maner they made poor and generalized blanket all excuses. I got my product and it was fine but I tell people to stay away from that manufacturer because the problem.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

I haven't had any bad customer service experiences. I have had less-than-perfect experiences (wrong items sent, items sent without everything needed to make it immediately usable) but in every case the companies in question have made good on their original commitment and fixed the problem. I've always been friendly in bringing problems to their attention but also made it clear that I expect a resolution to the problem. I also have different expectations for a company in this business, because we need to remember these are often very small operations, without the staff to man the phones 24x7 and respond to email the second you send it, etc. But with those adjusted expectations, response times have always been good for me.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Out of interest, why only as it relates to skydiving?

I think where there's a problem, that perception - that there's a difference between a skydiver and a 'real' customer - is often part of the cause.

Also, any worthwhile DZO/ rigger/ gear supplier etc. ought to welcome negative feedback if it's given honestly and politely. If I was one of those, I'd rather hear it direct from a customer and have a chance to rectify it than be badmouthed on the grapevine. Since ours is a small community, giving bad service to one or two people can quickly damage your reputation.

Having said all that, I'm not the best when it comes to speaking up about bad service. It's a Brit thing :)

I haven't had any bad customer service experiences.

Open a Capitol One Checking account and I am sure they will fill your lifetime quota that everyone is entitled to.;)

My post was limited to the skydiving industry. Don't get me started on bad customer service outside of it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I usually pack my own rig and only hire a packer for training and competition jumps, and even then I'll pack the last one. I ask a packer 1 time to pack for me and ask him to pack the chute a certain way cause I like the openings, I don't mind tipping extra for it. He tells me "No, I'll pack it the way I pack all of em."
Told him "Sorry no, I'll get someone else to do it."
The next packer I asked was more than happy to do the job the way I asked.

I know that this doesn't help but I haven't had any bad experiences in the skydiving realm with bad customer service. If you would like the worst possible customer service please see Comcast Cable. I have never had good service from them, but they are the only thing going. Its ridiculous.
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama

pessmist much??? :P

I don't believe I've had bad customer service for something I've paid for. Wait wait actually yes I have. I couldn't figure out how to turn off my optima from L & B. I searched all over and couldn't figure it out. I don't know why but I just kept reading over it. I emailed them twice asking how to turn the thing off and never got any responses back. Only made me try harder and finally figured it out. I felt super stupid when I did as it was right there in the directions. Maybe that is why they didn't respond.

I had some poor load organizing at WFCC, but I figured out what tent to go to for fun and that was that. Don't pay for that anyway, well not directly.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

nnot skydiving, but something very cool

my teammate bought a car this last season. One dealer he went to, they were about to close the deal and the salesman wouldn't discuss the pricing of the last $50 accessory

the teammate was turned off by the salesman's attitude more than anything (the salesman didn't just put out the dealership's position on the part, he made very public and loud statement). So the teammate politely said thanks, but he had to leave.

The next dealer down the road set him up with the next higher model and accessory package (sweet vehicle, all leather, all the luxury items) for about 10% LESS than the other deal he'd have be ok with at the first dealer.

the teammate sent the First saleman a bouguet of roses and a note thanking him for "driving him to the other dealer with his sales technique" and wished him a very happy day - the bouquet was sent to the main desk where the card had to be read by the staff there to determine who the bouquet went to

the teammate never go angry or rude or anything, but the wry gesture probably made more of an impact than any child thinking that "laying the smack down" would or weak willed weirdo playing the "pacifist" - it's not always a choice of the two extremes, in fact, the right response is never some choice of emotional response like offered in the original post

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I usually pack my own rig and only hire a packer for training and competition jumps, and even then I'll pack the last one. I ask a packer 1 time to pack for me and ask him to pack the chute a certain way cause I like the openings, I don't mind tipping extra for it. He tells me "No, I'll pack it the way I pack all of em."
Told him "Sorry no, I'll get someone else to do it."
The next packer I asked was more than happy to do the job the way I asked.

I don't consider that poor customer service. I'm mostly accepting of suggestions but in the past I've had to refuse pack jobs because my customer wanted some overly complicated and unnecessary steps to be taken. They get someone else to do it, and I consider it a positive outcome for everyone involved.

Only made me try harder and finally figured it out. I felt super stupid when I did as it was right there in the directions. Maybe that is why they didn't respond.

I doubt that. In my experience Larsen & Brusgaard are among the best in the business when it comes to after-sales. They always used to supply free replacement batteries for their audibles - not sure whether they still do - and if they thought yours had run down prematurely they'd offer to take the unit back and check it out in case there was anything wrong with it. And they once supplied a free ProTrack to a friend who'd lost his during a hard opening. L & B rock!

How did you ask the packer to pack your parachute?

I've had people ask me to pack their parachutes in ridiculous ways- ways that I feel are less safe than the way that I pack. I refuse to honor those requests. However, I consider that good customer service, even if the customer isn't happy with it.

But since the knee injury, I'm officially not a packer anymore. How nice. :)

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I've never had bad service from a packer - and I haven't jumped a lot, but I have been to 4 DZs. Tey are always really nice considering they have to get the tandems done first and I REALLY should be doing it myself... tipping well doesn't hurt though - I figure its worth a starbucks to get the person packing to like me ;)

As for other Skydiving-related items - I'll let you know when my rig comes in NEXT WEEK!!!! I'm SO EXCITED!!!!
Because life is an adventure - it may not be the one you planned, but then it wouldn't be an adventure!

Only made me try harder and finally figured it out. I felt super stupid when I did as it was right there in the directions. Maybe that is why they didn't respond.

I doubt that. In my experience Larsen & Brusgaard are among the best in the business when it comes to after-sales. They always used to supply free replacement batteries for their audibles - not sure whether they still do - and if they thought yours had run down prematurely they'd offer to take the unit back and check it out in case there was anything wrong with it. And they once supplied a free ProTrack to a friend who'd lost his during a hard opening. L & B rock!

Yeah that is what I heard. Yet two emails never replied to. I made sure I had the address right, never got a undeliverable message either. I hope that if something does ever go wrong they take care of me, but so far not so good.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

First dropzone I started at did have some cliquishness and one of the coach/instructors was not fond of me. He was one of these guys who had everything handed to him in life and looked down on people who couldn't afford all the new guci kit and to jump non-stop (epitomised the derogatory term Skygod). Anyway when I did my self supervision test he threw in all kinds of stupid shit like checking the aircraft instruments, communications, checking the fuel and whatnot. Someone did catch wind of what he did and intervened but it was too late. While I got my self super I was not impressed. I couldn't stop wondering why the DZ owner allowed someone like that to work with students? . My impression of the place was tarnished by the fact that he was not disciplined.

Switched to another DZ later that year. In fairness there were good people at the first DZ but I felt they neede to keep a tighter grip on thier instructors.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.