RkyMtnHigh

Vengence - Pros/Cons/Tips?

I have a Vengence that I will be using for about a month or so and want to know more about what to expect with the openings, flight characteristics,etc. I've had two Sabre2s and liked them both a lot and wondering how the Vengence will compare to what I'm used to.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:)

Be careful when you pack, especially with quartering the slider and the front of the cells. Take your time with this part and make sure it is neat and even.

The openings can be exciting. Open high the first few times and get use to it. I had it turn on me after opening and it built up speed in the turn quite rapidly. Stop it immediately when it does that with riser/harness input or you may end up unstowing the brakes to stop it. That will be before the slider is collapsed and stowed. Very uncomfortable to collapse and stow the slider after the brakes are unstowed.

It was a great canopy once it was open and flying straight until I landed. Plenty of lift and bottom end. I believe in Brian Germain's book he tells you how to collapse the canopy after landing. Read it, know it, use it, live it. It can be a pain on the ground with high winds and no understanding of how to get the air out of it.

As I said, I loved it when it was opened and flying. Transitioned from that to a Katana. Very happy with that move. Good luck.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

I jumped a 135 at about that wl last season. There's a lot of difference between canopies, some open in a turn no matter what and some open fine (mine! ;)). ;)At that low a wl sometimes you get more open airlocks on one side than on the other, this leads to searching/hunting.

On the whole i liked the vengeance a lot, but it wasn't made for such a low wl, it definately opened better with a lot of lead and I liked the 120 (at 1.3-1.4 w/lead) better.

When packing, I don't do anything to it besides roll the tail a bit to keep packjob together. Anything else you do can lead to wild openings, slow snivels and then BAM, or just really really slow openings.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Have jumped a 135 and later a 107 for a while, flyhi's description is bang on of my experience with both these canopies. Once they're open they fly nice the trick is to be working constantly during the openings otherwise it will get out of control quickly.

A lot of people are going to knock the vengeance, but I put about 1000 jumps on a 120 and while the openings were a bit brisk, it dove great and was a swoop machine. I also found the transition to the velo 103 I now jump to be seamless. J

A lot of people are going to knock the vengeance, but I put about 1000 jumps on a 120 and while the openings were a bit brisk, it dove great and was a swoop machine. I also found the transition to the velo 103 I now jump to be seamless. J

Thanks so much for the fair balanced feedback. It's been a big help:)

I did a *few* jumps on a 120 vengance a while back... flew like a dream, opened like shit. Tended to open in a solid turn (not quite a spin) and stay there until the toggles were popped.

More than one vengeance owner that I talked to about this said that their canopy did the same thing.

I have heard rumors that PD fixed the lineset and it doesn't do that anymore, but they aren't confirmed.

On the flying side, I'd say similar to a Sabre2 (that's what I fly now), but I didn't do enough vengance jumps to give a more detailed answer.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Vengeance 120, WL 1,65, 1500 jumps
I liked the canopy and the openings. Do not pack it to neatly. If you pack for a slow opening, the canopy has time to open off heading.

Personally I think that the vengeance don't like light (1,1) or heavy (+1,8) WL.

Jurgen

This Vengeance has been recently relined and a larger slider was added...what are your thoughts on those changes?

It was fine for the past 5 or 6 jumps then the Vengeance showed it's characteristics...grrrr...spinning on deployment and I had to immediately make corrections in my harness and with my toggles.

Not my idea of "fun" like I had with my Sabre2.