PLFKING

Go Buckeyes

Something a friend sent me --

From Ray Glier’s article in The Times today:
Bernie Machen, the University of Florida president, said after the game that if the Gators did not get into the title game, he would start a movement among the Division I-A presidents to overhaul the system for determining the national championship.
“We ought to be talking about when to go to Glendale,” Machen said, referring to the site of the B.C.S. title game in Arizona. “Instead, we’re talking about whether our style points are going to get us to Glendale, which is ridiculous.”

In Pete Thamel’s article on Nov. 19, after Michigan lost to Ohio State, Wolverines Athletic Director Bill Martin said Michigan would continue its policy of not politicking for bowl positions. ‘’We don’t lobby our players on behalf of any national awards,'’ Martin said, ‘’and we don’t lobby as a program. Our team and program lets our performance speak for itself. If we got an invitation to the Rose Bowl, Michigan would be honored to play in it.'’ We’ll see if Michigan, in response to Machen, feels compelled to say anything today.

So I guess Machen thought an inquiry was necessary if HIS team didn't get in, but since they did, it's not necessary now ?

Kind of sanctimonious, given that the university presidents are the ones keeping us from a playoff system in the first place.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Q: Why are Ohio State and the Gators playing for the national championship?

A: Because that's where the highest advertising dollars are.

period.

Ding ding ding.

We have a winner, folks.

If the OSU/Michigan game was played in August, everyone would be talking about the greatly anticipated rematch.

Even if money is the main contributory factor, I def think Michigan shouldnt play again. They had their chance. What happened to the good ol' underdog story???

I def. would like to see OSU win, but at the same time if FLA wins, I would be like haha !!OSU lost to FLA! then to add to that its a "IN YOUR FACE" to all the Michigan fans who wish that they had a SECOND chance playing OSU.

Even if money is the main contributory factor, I def think Michigan shouldnt play again. They had their chance. What happened to the good ol' underdog story???

I def. would like to see OSU win, but at the same time if FLA wins, I would be like haha !!OSU lost to FLA! then to add to that its a "IN YOUR FACE" to all the Michigan fans who wish that they had a SECOND chance playing OSU.

IF Florida wins... Michigan will start whining like USC did 2 years ago for a Co-Champions title with Fla. It'll be LSU & USC all over again. When that year it was LSU's Championship, not USC.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

The recent past probably had something to do with giving Florida the berth in the national championship game. Remember Nebraska had a monster year, then lost the Big 12 championship game to KSU? Then the stupid ass voters put them in the national championship game? They lost again.

Then there's Auburn two years ago, who impressively ran the gauntlet unblemished and beat Tennessee twice, but got left out so USC and Oklahoma could have their championship game, and OK got blown out. I believe Auburn would have presented a much tougher challenge to USC than OK did.

I also believe that if you lose your last game, you don't get in the national championship game. I also believe you should win your conference as well as a prerequisite (sp?).

Now, if Michigan and Ohio State tied 42-42 or something like that 20 years ago (before the Overtime rules era) and they were ranked #1 and #2, and nobody else was undefeated, then yeah a rematch would be appropriate for the championship.

Florida earned their shot. I don't think they'll beat Ohio State, but you never know. Nobody thought Alabama would beat Miami in 1992, or that Ohio State would beat Miami a few years ago in one of the greatest national championship games ever at the time, although those games are irrelevant to this situation.

Funny, I think LSU could beat Florida now. I think LSU could give OSU a harder time than Florida. The voters got it right making them the best 2 loss team in the country, and their losses were on the road against top ten teams. LSU is going to beat the fuck out of Notre Dame.

Notre Dame needs to get the fuck off their self-imagined pedestal and join the Big 10 (11) and the Big 10 needs to set up a conference championship. The PAC 10 needs to do the same thing, but damned if I know what two schools to add to the conference. All the BCS conferences should have conference championship games. Lets be fair here.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well, in respect to Notre Dame, if you were them, they play no credible teams..therefore they get the easy 8 win rule and there automatically in. Would you not do that?? If I were in there shoes I would continue doing the same ol thing, no matter how LAME THEY ARE. Since the BCS bowl system is all about money. I think as lame as Notre Dame is, they have an idea on hustling the system B|

The recent past probably had something to do with giving Florida the berth in the national championship game. Remember Nebraska had a monster year, then lost the Big 12 championship game to KSU? Then the stupid ass voters put them in the national championship game? They lost again.

Then there's Auburn two years ago, who impressively ran the gauntlet unblemished and beat Tennessee twice, but got left out so USC and Oklahoma could have their championship game, and OK got blown out. I believe Auburn would have presented a much tougher challenge to USC than OK did.

I also believe that if you lose your last game, you don't get in the national championship game. I also believe you should win your conference as well as a prerequisite (sp?).

Now, if Michigan and Ohio State tied 42-42 or something like that 20 years ago (before the Overtime rules era) and they were ranked #1 and #2, and nobody else was undefeated, then yeah a rematch would be appropriate for the championship.

Florida earned their shot. I don't think they'll beat Ohio State, but you never know. Nobody thought Alabama would beat Miami in 1992, or that Ohio State would beat Miami a few years ago in one of the greatest national championship games ever at the time, although those games are irrelevant to this situation.

Funny, I think LSU could beat Florida now. I think LSU could give OSU a harder time than Florida. The voters got it right making them the best 2 loss team in the country, and their losses were on the road against top ten teams. LSU is going to beat the fuck out of Notre Dame.

Notre Dame needs to get the fuck off their self-imagined pedestal and join the Big 10 (11) and the Big 10 needs to set up a conference championship. The PAC 10 needs to do the same thing, but damned if I know what two schools to add to the conference. All the BCS conferences should have conference championship games.

Greast post, Billy...up until:

Lets be fair here.

Then you blew it all.
:D:D

Lee...I'm still waiting on your response for the bet.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

ok well the bet is 1 jump ticket. My money is on Ohio. As both teams are so good and are going to kick each others ass blah blah blah then a point spread is not needed.
back at you. Look closer at the screen:P
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Notre Dame needs to get the fuck off their self-imagined pedestal and join the Big 10 (11) and the Big 10 needs to set up a conference championship. The PAC 10 needs to do the same thing, but damned if I know what two schools to add to the conference. All the BCS conferences should have conference championship games. Lets be fair here.

I agree with all of that. For the PAC-10, options could include Boise St, Nevada, Utah...what conference are the Colorado schools in?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

What kind of "wolverine" is this guy? Hes rooting for his greatest rival.

If you can't beat them, join them!!
I'm guessin' the is what Don is saying.

The SEC always over rated. If they are soo tough why can't any teams from the SEC win a NC?

LSU split with USC, but they couldnt have beaten them in 03.
You have to go back to '98 to get the last champion.

Sounds real tough.

Dave
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

The SEC always over rated. If they are soo tough why can't any teams from the SEC win a NC?

Sounds real tough.

Dave

Sorry to be an ahole about it. But UT Longhorns handily spanked any and all comers last year with less respect. No one gave them a chance in hell to win the NC.

The Houston Texans made a huge mistake drafting Mario over Vince Young, that kid is a Champion he's got wins in his blood.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Sorry to be an ahole about it. But UT Longhorns handily spanked any and all comers last year with less respect.

Wow...you must have missed the OSU game that they should have lost if it wasn't for 2 dropped passes...but I guess that could be considered "handily"...

I think what Don is saying is that he might as well pull for the Big Ten team and at least if OSU wins he can cry about how Michigan's only loss was at the hands of the best team in the nation :ph34r:
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

How is the SEC overrated? 5 Sec Teams are in the top 25 and 3 are in the top 10...

Just because The SEC champions are the best team of the SEC and the SEC is the hardest conference in the NCAA doesnt make the SEC champions the best in the nation. There can always be better teams out there that play in easier conferences, and thats why we dont always win National Titles.

Never will you find any me or any other gators I know saying the Gators are the best in the Nation, clearly that is Ohio State and everyone knows it from the domination that have shown this year and their talent level.

HOWEVER! The gators have, in my opinion, the best shot in the Nation to beat Ohio State despite being underdogs much the same way Texas beat "unbeatable" USC last year.
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

I think what Don is saying is that he might as well pull for the Big Ten team and at least if OSU wins he can cry about how Michigan's only loss was at the hands of the best team in the nation :ph34r:

I feel the same way. For me its a win-win.
If OSU wins, Great my familys from ohio.I have cousins at OSU, but if FLA wins Great- cause my school (the 1st USC) lost to them by only one point- which happened to be really lucky on FLA's part

Sounds real tough.

Dave

You've gotta be shitting me...

Since 1992:

1992 - Alabama
1993 - Florida State
1994 - Nebraska
1995 - Nebraska
1996 - Florida
1997 - Michigan/Nebraska
1998 - Tennessee
1999 - Florida State
2000 - Oklahoma
2001 - Miami
2002 - Ohio State
2003 - LSU/USC
2004 - USC
2005 - Texas

Count 'em, then compare against the rest of the other conferences. I think they more than hold their own, besides it's harder to play in the SEC. Also, none of the other conferences have 4 different teams being national champions in this span, do they? Georgia came close one year though.

Edited to add:

Look for LSU and Florida to contend for next year's title. My personal nod goes to LSU though, especially if nobody leaves early.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have two tickets to the BCS game...

Just thought everyone should know. That is all.

B|

You have 2?:o Damn....there is only 1 of you too......I will be in AZ from Jan 6-27....Need some help getting any ratings or is there any other way to bribe my way into that other ticket? C-130 jumps?

When was the last time the Rose Bowl featured two teams coming off a loss?:S

Would take a bit of research I'm sure! :D And I think Michigan will beat USC. They've got a huge chip on their shoulders.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think what Don is saying is that he might as well pull for the Big Ten team

I will NEVER "join" OSU, but I always pull for any Big Ten team to win, unless they're playing the Wolverines.

And Notre Dame was offered membership before Penn State was, and turned it down. Now that they've seen Penn State decline because of the consistently tougher schedule, I doubt ND football will EVER join a conference (unless it's comprised entirely of service schools....does the Coast Guard field a team ?). :)

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."