adventurechick

Parachute Aid Organizations in Africa

I feel my next step after getting my degree is going to Africa. I was looking through RAM Air and Airdrop Assist but I haven't seen much about Africa. I'm in the process of receiving my passport and am filling out the paperwork for both organizations. I graduate school April of 2008 and would like to leave the country soon after. Does anyone know of any other resources I can go through for bringing aid to africa and possibly parachuting into villages?

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

Do you have an e-mail address for him? Any other information?

He doesn't like Mondays.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

He doesn't like Mondays.

That's a start.... this is just really heavy on my heart right now. I want to do something... help... I'm just not sure where to start.

That is awesome. I know he did a campaign against school shootings a few years ago
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

What are we going to do with you? Well whatever you decide, you have my support.:)

Every chick on dz has your support:D:D

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

What are we going to do with you? Well whatever you decide, you have my support.

Well, I'm young, single, no kids, and the only thing really keeping me in florida right now is school. Parachuting is a newfound skill that I want to use to help others. With my french minor/background I'd be able to communicate with at least 23 countries in africa and I want to go while I'm young.

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

You're hired.

Awesome, because I'm in!

UHOh i feel a restraining order in your near future jeff:D:D:D

What are we going to do with you? Well whatever you decide, you have my support.

Well, I'm young, single, no kids, and the only thing really keeping me in florida right now is school. Parachuting is a newfound skill that I want to use to help others. With my french minor/background I'd be able to communicate with at least 23 countries in africa and I want to go while I'm young.

With all those qualifications they might be able to get three times the going rate for you on the white slavery sex slave foreign service market.:|

Gail...

I think that's awesome. I've already done two medical missions. But we just landed in the planes for those (Guatemala - landed in Guatemala City, but took 4x4s into the jungle to treat in remote areas and Peru- flew into Lima but went up to the Andes to treat.) I think you have a wonderful plan and I will pm you.

btw - It's great that you speak French, cuz I only got the medical Spanish and German covered and I doubt that those will be as useful in Africa. (but it is always amusing to watch medical people that only know one forgein language to assume that if a pt doesn't speak English that they automatically speak the other one. Chinese women coming in to labor... nurses speaking Spanish to them :S:S:D But... you know how hard it is to find a Mandarin interperter at 4am. Not impossible - but takes a minute or two)

(so, Warpedskydiver, between the two of us - and remember, Gail's young and pretty - what would be our going rate in the foreign service market):S:P

edit to add: you have to deduct some - cuz I don't "train" well and I'm like OLD. (so if you saw Apcolypto - image the old lady on the slavery blocks that no one would bid on.... yup! :P)

Gail

From what I found when I looked into it a few years back was that there is very little Aid work done in Africa via Parachute. Even the most remote areas are serviced by either 4x4 or food aid para drop.

Your best bet would be to get intouch with organizationsns such ad

WHO - world Health organizations
UN - United Nations
UNICEF

It's a very rewarding but tough way to help others, and one needs to commit to a long term or life time effort to help those less fortunate than others.

If you want to help in a big way look into the NGO's that assist AIDS Orphans and Abused Women and Children ... one can make a massive effect on their lives.

Thats really cool, I'm also looking into going to Africa after graduation - mostl;y for travel at the moment but I'm increasingly thinking about looking into making it the first step towards maybe working for an aid organisation. So good luck!!:)

(Seriously though, Bob Geldoff?:D)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I bet they might get 20k or more for her if "trained".

Possibly up to 50k in Dubai.

That should worry her a bit.

20k? 50k? Is that including the decution for the pair? :P

At any rate, I don't think Gail needs to be scared. She will just need to learn a little situational awareness.. and I think she got a dose of that with her ability to find the ONE tree on the dropzone. :P

But... the info on contact sources is VERY helpful!! :)