ntrprnr

At Airport Security: "What's that?"

Walking through security. Put the gear bag on the conveyor, followed by my laptop bag, followed by my laptop.

Following is the exchange:

I walk through security, and wait.

"What's that? Tom, come take a look at this on the screen. Are those wires?"

Me: "Sir, it's a Cypres, it's a lifesaving device, you're looking at a Spor..."

Them: "Sir, please allow us to do our job."

Me: "But I have a card that explains..."

"Sir, step away, we're going to have to rerun this bag."

Me: "OK, go ahead.

I then notice my gear bag has slid down the conveyor and I reach for it, as they rerun my LAPTOP bag. The culprit? A new digital camera I bought last week in Hong Kong.

Parachute? Went right through, no questions whatsoever.

2 inch digital camera? Release the hounds.

Merry merry. :)

My stepson works (or maybe worked) for the TSA.... I think their job is easy and lazy... but one of the most psychologically unfulfilling ever. Their job is to "make the planes safe"?! BS.... their job is to enforce foolish regulations to make the sheep feel safe (as long as clay isn't on the plane)

Similar thing happened to me on my way back from Cabo. The rig wasn't the problem it was the cigarette lighter in my gear bag that almost caused me to miss my connecting flight:S

Not only will you look better, feel better, and fuck better; you'll have significantly increased your life expectancy. --Douva

My stepson works (or maybe worked) for the TSA.... I think their job is easy and lazy... but one of the most psychologically unfulfilling ever. Their job is to "make the planes safe"?! BS.... their job is to enforce foolish regulations to make the sheep feel safe (as long as clay isn't on the plane)

I don't blame the employees. The majority of them are hard working, and are doing their jobs to the best of their abilities. I blame the TSA as a whole. Inefficient. totally out of touch with today's traveler.

I'll say it again - 9/11 made the chances of a hijacking nil. No passenger will ever again let a hijacker take control of the plane. We'll kill them as they attempt it. The best safety device on the plane? The other passengers. Not bringing on a bottle of water? Please.

..we can thank the terroristsgovernment for that one..

At the risk of turning this into something more suitable for speakers corner, I fixed it for you. :)

and to avoid a political discussion (which btw I HATE) i will not re-comment my opinion and just say to agree to disagree

No passenger will ever again let a hijacker take control of the plane. We'll kill them as they attempt it.

I've thought that several times since 9/11, too, but I don't know how I would react under such circumstances. Of course, if the only weapons they have are the plastic forks and the dodgey fish selection from the in-flight menu, then I think it's not likely a very difficult decision, though.

Yep, I've had times where I have my rig with me, and that sails right through. Instead, they dig through my purse and always stop to examine my keychain. :S I think the bottle opener on it must look like a blade of some sort depending on the angle at which it is viewed.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

:D Coming back through Phoenix after Nationals, fireflytx and i put our gear bags on the belt, the girl looked over to a guy to her left and said, "I'll let you handle these two" I thought oh crap here we go. The guy looks up and says, "Don't worry, i personally trained every screener in this airport to know what they are looking at" He then started asking the lady at the screen, "Ok, what brand are those. . . Yes that is right those are both Javelins.":D:D:D He jumps at Eloy.;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I just got back from a weekend with the family in Texas. Round trip flight from CID to DFW Friday to Monday

I forgot I was wearing one of my Go-Wear t-shirts. TSA requested I take off my winter jacket (normal) for the checkpoint and then the TSA girl read my shirt:

"There are no perfectly good airplanes."

She laughed and waved me on thru.

:D:D:D:D:D
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

haha..i started reading this post and pulled out the paper i printed out from the TSA website stating that rigs are allowed to be carried on. But yeah i flew from Norfolk Virginia to gulport mississippi(where i made my first tandem mind you B|) and i had everything but my small tube of toothpaste confiscated..of course..i bought all new toiletires stuff while i was in virginia. I havent flown for years before this..so it was new for me. Lesson learned..only buy travel sized stuff when flying....but on other end...they did take my lighter..so i go to walk into the smoke room IN THE CONCOURSE...and see people with lighters....WTF!!?!?!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

Coming through Midway with a cast on my leg and carrying my gear bag through security. They pull me aside for the random check. The girls open up the gear bag, and asks "Do you have another backpack in here." I respond, "No that a parachute." She pulls it out halfway, looks at it, looks at my leg, looks back at it. "So, is that due to this?" "More or less...." She gave me a funny look and waved me through....
This ad space for sale.

haha..i started reading this post and pulled out the paper i printed out from the TSA website stating that rigs are allowed to be carried on. But yeah i flew from Norfolk Virginia to gulport mississippi(where i made my first tandem mind you B|) and i had everything but my small tube of toothpaste confiscated..of course..i bought all new toiletires stuff while i was in virginia. I havent flown for years before this..so it was new for me. Lesson learned..only buy travel sized stuff when flying....but on other end...they did take my lighter..so i go to walk into the smoke room IN THE CONCOURSE...and see people with lighters....WTF!!?!?!

Empty every thing you have. put all in the totes, leave Bic in pocket. Pass thro detecter & be polite. :)
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

No passenger will ever again let a hijacker take control of the plane. We'll kill them as they attempt it.

I've thought that several times since 9/11, too, but I don't know how I would react under such circumstances. Of course, if the only weapons they have are the plastic forks and the dodgey fish selection from the in-flight menu, then I think it's not likely a very difficult decision, though.

Anyone with an IQ on the right side of the bell curve could get a weapon on an airplane. The screening just keeps the short bus terrorists out.
cavete terrae.

I recently went on a trip to Colorado to go mountain climbing with some friends. I packed my knife in my carry on by mistake. Needless to say I was detained for a short period of time while they searched my carry on, confiscated my knife, placed a "knife" stamp on my ticket, and then sent me to the end of the line to go back through the security checkpoint.

I don't think I fit any of the "profiles" because I was sent through the express lane by airport security while on a business trip shortly before this trip.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch