wildfan75

Don't Ever Buy a Dell

Cancel the order. My mom and brother both have Dells, and they've been a nightmare of hardware failures. LAFD used to have Dells, and they sent every one of them back because of issue after issue and horrid customer service (customer service has been outsourced to India, and they don't communicate well with the main offices, and they never seem to have accurate info about your warranty). Dell used to make high quality machines. They don't anymore. Don't risk it, and don't put up with their issues.

Then, go to www.apple.com and buy a mac. You can apply for credit online (I pay $40 a month for my iMac), design your machine custom online, and when they give you a ship date which is usually only a few days out, they meet the deadline. Pretty much all the software you need is included, AND you can get programs like boot camp and parallel that will let you boot up or run windows and windows based programs. Then, you buy the apple care 3 year extended warranty and they cover you for everything from dropping the thing to software issues to grape jelly in the keyboard, and for customer service, you can take it to your nearest apple store and deal with them face to face if you want to, or you can just send it out.

Apple customer service has been awesome. I've got two macs that have needed service once each (once for the power cord... they just handed me a new one, and once for the power supply on the iMac. they fixed it in the store and had it back to me in 24 hours!) I had an iPod go out on me five days post-warranty, and since it was given to me on Christmas, and it was a few days before that, the manager just gave me a brand new one, even though it was technically out of warranty since it was purchased three weeks before Christmas. No hassle, no stress, just "here, let me take care of that for you."

oh no you di-ent!

I couldn't disagree more....and I've been stuck with supporting damn near every variety of hardware made over the last 25 years.

Dell is a decent machine. Especially for the price. They also have extended warranties like every mahor manufacturer that covers everything including accidents.
Beats the shit outta clone pc's, Gatefuckingways, HP/Compaq since the buyout.
Unless talking laptops....the IBM/Lennova I think is the best windows laptop on the market, and given it is usually priced at just over twice the competition, it damn well should be.
The new MAC's are interesting, but as yet still difficult to manage in an enterprise. Windows still has the cheapest support costs for servers and desktops as well as the largest available software selections.

YMMV

Plus, there's not all that many games for Macs that I'm aware of.

I built my latest desktop, an AMD 64 3200+. I'll be building a new machine later in the spring, probably an Intel Core 2 Duo 6600. I like knowing what hardware and software is going into my machine...and I *despise* the branding and proprietary drivers of the major makers.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I had the same opinion for a very long time...but I've changed my mind based on experience. I can't tell you how many clones I've built. I can't afford to compete with the LEGAL software packages included with branded systems, their reliability is better, and the performance is better (if you buy the better machines). The unique drivers aren't the issue they used to be...good luck getting SATA drives configured in a clone system when building XP - MAJOR PITA!!!

I see your point.... of course, I'm not building for sale, so I can reuse the OS and software I have.

SATA can be a pain, that's true - my current machine is SATA, and the next one will be, too. Just gotta make sure you have that driver floppy!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Order through their small business division in the future. Customer service is here in the US, and they are responsive. I recently ordered a laptop from them and had to call to get a part of the order changed. It took 5 minutes and there were no hassles. The ship date when I ordered it said 1/15....but it arrived today. I guess their small business division is a lot more on top of it than their general division.

Well, I'm up to...
1) One account number
2) One customer number
3) Two order numbers
4) Three estimated ship dates
5) One online chat reference number
6) One email verification number
7) One case number
8) About eight phone calls

I got word "unofficially" that there was a problem with Dell Financial, called them, and they said, "Nope, your financing is fine. Your account is fine. It shows the reason why it hasn't shipped is production" which is the same thing that the web site says.

Still nothing...I just don't see how any company would consider this acceptable. If I had a customer call me and ask how to cancel their order, I can guarentee that my response would be "Let's work this out", NOT "I can help you with that", which was their response when I asked about cancelling my order.

I am completely flaborgasted. I can't believe that they wouldn't offer (more less say no) to sending me a loaner to use until mine finally arrives. I can't believe they haven't said, "Since this unit is having production issues, let's look at another unit that is comprable that's in stock that we can ship right away". I'm sure there are a ton of other solutions that they could suggest and work with me on, but literally all I'm getting is "It will ship when it ships. Could be weeks, could be months...we really don't know. You can either wait until hell freezes over or you can cancel your order". Ugh! Why does shit like this always happen to me? What the hell did I do that was so bad to have to deal with this?

All I want is the damn computer that I ordered and have it ship!

ROTF LOL sory that not so un typical with any of the companys now days and the funny thing is when all these reviews of Dell and HP being at the top and keep chaging between the two realy makes me laugh is because it's the same outsourced company doing support for both.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

Now see,, spending big money on a computer to play games seems like a really big waste,,:S

I'm sure there's people that would say spending ~$5k on a bunch of nylon so that you can jump out of a plane seems like a really big waste... all depends on the individual's outlook, I guess...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Sending you a "loaner" Is a huge deal. Think about it. Dell now has to have spare computers laying around that they take as a loss. There is no gaurentee that you will ship the spare back to them so they potentially are out the computer if you claim it was "lost in shipping" or something else like that. Not to mention all the issue that arise if you put documents or software on it and then after shipping it back realize you needed it still to transfer that files or to uninstall the software so you can install it on the new computer. Multiply this by thousands of orders and you would need an entire warehouse just to store all these "loaner" computers and in the end it jacks up the price for the rest of the computers since Dell now has to pay for those loaners.

Try going to your local car dealership and ordering a new car. Then when its time to leave try to take one of the cars off the show room floor as a "loaner" until they can find or have your custom car shipped in. There isn't a dealer out there that will let you take one for an undertimed amount of time and use it while waiting on your to come in for free.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have been dealing with my Dell laptops (second so far), my wife's Dell laptop, and Dell hardware at work on pretty large scale. Nothing but positive experience with laptops, desktops and monitors -- very reliable, and excellent service if there is any problem. However, it's a totally different ballgame when it comes to Dell servers. Absolutely the worst reliability and customer service! Hours on hold, and they also send a courier with replacement parts instead of a qualified tech. I can keep ranting on and on...

I would buy Dell consumer product anytime, but God forbid to go anywhere near their server or NAS products!
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

This is getting worse...I didn't think it possible, but it is.

I was told by a dz.commer that works for Dell's tech support that the unit that I ordered is discontinued and will never ship. Why they couldn't tell me that in the six times I've called, I don't know.

So I've been on the phone for over 45 minutes trying to (on my third person) trying to see what we can work out for something with the same spec's, for the same price and the same financining. I'm actually starting to lose my voice. Of the three people that I've talked to (not including the person who put me on hold for customer service telling me that there was an estimated wait time of 15-30 minutes only to be disconnected after 10 minutes), not a single one is telling me that they can help me.

Not only do I not want a Dell computer anymore, but I want a job there. Imagine doing nothing all day long but telling people that you can't help them and getting paid for it. I think I would be really good employee for Dell!!!

Well, updated...now I've been on the phone for over an hour!

Gotta love it!

They also have extended warranties like every mahor manufacturer that covers everything including accidents.

Be sure to get the accident coverage though. The basic extended warranty does not cover things like flooding caused by hurricanes.:S

Just build your own. There is pretty much nothing to it and a computer you build can last you 2-3 times longer than anything from Dell, HP, etc, will actually have high quality stable hardware and everything a computer SHOULD be for not much more than what Dell would charge you. The extra cost is more than worth it.

I hate customer service anywhere. Period.

Also, tell them to kiss your ass and that you're calling HP/Compaq, then do it. You may (possibly) have better luck or Dell might get off their ass and do their job when they hear that.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I made it easy on myself, skipped all that crap and just bought a Macbook. :P

why is it that every time someone says they have a problem with thier computer theres always the guy that proclaims that his mac is the greatest thing since sliced bread, macs are crap. and so is thier customer support, but i love my ipod
Fly it like you stole it

I made it easy on myself, skipped all that crap and just bought a Macbook. :P

why is it that every time someone says they have a problem with thier computer theres always the guy that proclaims that his mac is the greatest thing since sliced bread, macs are crap. and so is thier customer support, but i love my ipod

I'm with you there.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan