matc

First canopy

Ok i'd like some advice here for my first canopy. (Don't worry i'll talk to my instructor before buying anything !) I have 32 jumps and weigh 140 lbs. So far, I've been jumping a pd 180 wihtout any problems. What do you suggest me as a first canopy ? thanks !

Before you buy, demo everything that's appropiate. I would recomend the PD Silhoette, the Sabre2, the Pilot and Safire2. Talk to your instructors about an appropiate size for wingloading. Typically you'd want a 1:1 wingloading or even possibly a little less for your first canopy.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ok and what about a hurricane ? I've heard they are not for beginners but they're pretty easy to buy at my DZ.

Edit : I've just read some reviews in the gear section and I 'd say this canopy is a big no for someone with 32 jumps !

But, you DON'T want a 1:1 wing loading!:o As canopies, even beginner designs, get smaller they act more like a high performance canopy. The drag is lower, the lines (think of it as a pendulum) is shorter, etc.

Read this article! http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/wingload.pdf

I don't believe that a wingloading of 1:1 is appropriate for a newbie once you get smaller than about a 180, IMHO. Certainly not at 140. And if that is your body weight your exit weight likely is GT 180. I'd suggest that the 170 to 180 size may even be a little small for your first canopy. You haven't had any problems with the PD180 but you haven't faced all the possible landing conditions and you haven't explored all the possible flight characteristics. (Not possible with your number of jumps.)

It took a DZO that I knew well many years to figure this out. He sold 150 and slightly smaller canopies to people close to 1:1 but they proved to be too small for them. At least one resulted in skydiving ending injury. But if you saw John LeBlanc talk about what is in the article you get it right away.

The PD 180, if that is in fact the MODEL and not the just the manufacturer and size, is a non zp canopy. Very likely your first canopy will be (should be) zp and probably fly somewhat faster.

All of the above advice assumes a conservative performing ZP canopy, Triathlon, Spectre, Sabre 2, Pilot; a jumper of adequate intellegence and common sense and normal fitness, AND approval by the instructors that KNOW YOU.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Not a single person here can give you the advice you are asking for. No one knows how you fly your canopy, what kind of habits you have, ect. ect. The only person that can honestly give you this kind of advice is someone that has given you the time you need at the DZ to evaluate your current skill level and progression.

What people here can do for you is tell you the flying attributes of specific wings and how each one relates to different piloting desires and needs. Don't let anyone that doesn't know you, or have seen you fly TELL you what you need to buy. S&TA's would be a good resource for you. Even better than that is to go take a canopy piloting class. Not only will you get a professional giving you the best advice for canopy purchase based upon what he sees, but you will get valuable skills early in your skydiving career. Remember, a vast percentage of people that die skydiving do it under their parachute......

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

Buy used if you can for your 1st. Given your weight, a 150 isn't that unreasonable in the future, but you'll need a few more jumps first. Remember, smaller canopies are more sensitive to control inputs in comparison to larger canopies at the same wing loading.

Sabre 170 would be good (not the Sabre2, I'm talking about the original)

Pilot 168, also a nice docile canopy

Safire2 169

The flare for a ZP canopy is different to that of an F-111; ask your instructors.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

FWIW- my situation is very similar to yours. i weight 140 myself. and need weights to increase my fall rate. so with 10 lbs. of lead and gear that puts my exit weight up to around 170. during AFF i progressed thusly: 200, 190, 175. i've also jumped a friends 170. upon asking people who've seen me land and fly, they say could jump a 150. however i plan on staying on the safe side and buying a used 170 for my first canopy. putting a bunch of jumps on it while improving my canopy skills. then getting a 150 when i buy a brand new canopy. stay safe & blue skies.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

they say could jump a 150. however i plan on staying on the safe side and buying a used 170 for my first canopy. putting a bunch of jumps on it while improving my canopy skills. then getting a 150 when i buy a brand new canopy.

Beautiful! B|

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

FWIW- my situation is very similar to yours. i weight 140 myself. and need weights to increase my fall rate. so with 10 lbs. of lead and gear that puts my exit weight up to around 170.

You'll probably end up wearing more than 10lbs of weights for some dives... I wear 12-15 the majority of the time, was wearing 18 doing 4-way (and still needed 3-4 more pounds), and i've worn 22-23 on hop&pops.... and you're floatier than I am. :)
To the OP: I definately agree with the others on talking to your instructors and other people who have watched your landings on a continual basis, they can give you information based on your skillset and performance rather than an internet blanket statement of advice. I'm a liiiightweight (110lbs)and have had a much different canopy progression than most normally will see.

And definately demo some different canopies... either try to borrow from people at your local DZ or dealer, or get demos from the manufacturer. I didn't do a whole lot of demoing and really wish I had done a bit more (even though I do really like my canopy)... I'll definately demo several canopies when it comes time for my next downsize.