MikeD10834

Solutions for Sabre2 sniveling?

Does anyone have a hot tip or good suggestion for reducing the sniveling during deployment of a Sabre2 190 (loaded <1.2)? I seem to be getting a consistent 1100'-1300' opening (If I pitch at 3.5K, I'm saddled out about 2.2K...).

The canopy has <50 jumps. I'm pro-packing, (or at least trying to...) and not stuffing the nose in, rolling it, etc. Granted, my packing sucks with the slippery ZP so no matter how careful I am it still winds up being a wad of crap in the bag....

Any suggestions? ...such as a bit smaller slider, cutting a hole in the slider, different packing technique, or whatever?

I'm not looking to knock my dick in the dirt, but I would like a quicker deployment sequence (thinking 600'-800' as a norm). Any suggestions along with the pros/cons would be appreciated, and of course TIA.

...such as a bit smaller slider, cutting a hole in the slider

The smaller slider will do the trick. Look for one that is an inch or so shorter along the cord, but the same size along the span.

Cutting a hole in a slider is pretty old school, and might work except that you would also be cutting through the drawstrings and channels used to collapse the slider.

You could also check the length of the brake lines from the canopy down to the fingertrap. If these are too long, then your openings will slow down. Of course, if the brake lines are right on, and ALL the other lines are too short, you'd get the same effect (highly doubtful thats the case).

All this talk about PC's is nonsense. If you're having a long PC hesitation which is adding to the time from PC throw to open canopy, then maybe the PC is to blame.

If the deployment is normal from PC throw to the canopy coming out of the bag, followed by an extended snivel (which is what I think you're talking about), then the PC has already done it's job, and it just along for the ride (like you).

All this talk about PC's is nonsense. If you're having a long PC hesitation which is adding to the time from PC throw to open canopy, then maybe the PC is to blame.

What I got from the orginal post sounded like PC hesitation not an exceptionally long snivel. However, re-reading the post, I retract that thought.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you have a kill-line pilot chute... are you cocking it when you pack / before you jump?? :P

Just kidding.

Anyway, before you go cutting holes in your slider or putting a smaller slider on your canopy... a couple of my thoughts.... 1) call up PD and make sure you've got the correct sized slider on your canopy (i.e. not too big)... and then 2) when you're packing... when you quarter the slider, don't pull it out in front of the nose so much after setting the nose and wrapping the tail around, etc.

Once the holidays are over, I'd call up PD and talk to one of their riggers about it.

If you don't like 1000'+ snivells... don't demo a Katana! :P:S:):D

1. All this talk about PC's is nonsense.

Not true unless what you said in 3 is true.

2. If you're having a long PC hesitation which is adding to the time from PC throw to open canopy, then maybe the PC is to blame.

My point.

3. If the deployment is normal from PC throw to the canopy coming out of the bag, followed by an extended snivel (which is what I think you're talking about), then the PC has already done it's job, and it just along for the ride (like you).

True. In which case some analysis needs to be done to see if it's 2 or 3.

On a separate note, looks like I'll be jumping at Aerohio some again this Spring. See you there.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Not to insult you, but are you sure you are pitching at 3.5, or waving at 3.5.

I have had plenty of people chew up 500 feet or more from wave to actual pc release. That is were the open chould be guaged from.

The canopy is gonna snivel up to 1000 feet. Its the design of the canopy. But a smaller slider will probably speed things up. I would talk to PD though.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

If you read the OP, the guy says

Does anyone have a hot tip or good suggestion for reducing the sniveling during deployment of a Sabre2 190

He specifically states that the snivel is the problem area, so thats what I addressed.

On a separate note, looks like I'll be jumping at Aerohio some again this Spring. See you there.

I'll look forward to it.

Yeah.... call me old school in that my experience does stem from the days of faster opening canopies. I was out of the sport for 16 years, coming back last year. I haven't jumped nearly enough since I've been back to justify calling myself experienced (I wouldn't even qualify for a D today due to jump numbers...) but I do what I can by asking questions and listening. :|

Well,I have seen a similar issue like yours with a Spectre 190 and PD tried to make that canopy open faster but these days,soft openings are the major concept and design and that is why you should only addressed your issue with PD because they have all the good people to take care of your concerns.They are very understandable and I am sure they will try to make their best to satisfy you.Biggest mistakes would be to play with sliders and PC without any discussions with PD,my point of view.