jumpwally

Microsoft Vista?

Considering Microsofts history with the realease of new products, I'm going to wait on this one for a while. Probably will purchase it once they have released service pack 2.0.

I doubt you will be able to run it on a 5 year o;d computer because of the amount of disk space required and, processor speed and RAM unless yo have done a lot of upgrading. Here's a link to download Upgrade Advisor which is supposed to tell you if your present computer meets the specs.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx?wt_svl=20009a&mg_id=20009b

One of my friends has had it for a while now, since before christmas (yes i know it officially came out today) and from what I've seen it seems to have a lot of really cool features. I'de take a pc over a mac anyday, and now that vista is out windows is extra personal.

I never buy anything until it's been available for at least a year. Let them get all the kinks out of it first. I'm not a user-friendly computer user. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

A lot of third party applications will not work correctly on Vista. The Business edition released in December and no one is making the rapid jump to it since a lot of programs just do not work. Also the requirements to run it pretty much mean you need to have a PC bought in the last year or so since it needs as much power as you can give it to get the most out of its features.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

A buddy of mine works at Microsoft and has had it on his laptop for some time now. I like the way it looks, but it comes with a price...the computing and graphical requirements to run it are very high. You're probably going to have difficulty running it on a 5-year old cpu.

Also the requirements to run it pretty much mean you need to have a PC bought in the last year or so since it needs as much power as you can give it to get the most out of its features.

Any idea what the super cool features are that requires such computing power? It seems to me that many programs grow and change and demand more power for no reason other than to glad hand others in the industry. Then again, I think WP5.1 was more user-friendly than the latest incarnation of Word.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

My next machine is going to be a Mac. I'm sick of Windows.

Does Apple's OS have a BAN-BLOCKER on the menu?? If so, then I want a Mac too. ;):P
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

A lot of third party applications will not work correctly on Vista. The Business edition released in December and no one is making the rapid jump to it since a lot of programs just do not work. Also the requirements to run it pretty much mean you need to have a PC bought in the last year or so since it needs as much power as you can give it to get the most out of its features.

True. I ran the Upgrade Advisor on my 18 month old HP laptop and it apparently is only suited to run Vista Home Edition. It also requires removal of some software before installing Vista and some of it can't be re-installed. Iirc McAfee is one of those programs. Sounds like it has the possibility of preventing other software from being installed completely or at least requiring an upgrade.

I just spoke to my IT guy, who was in to fix an issue with our billing program. I asked him about Microsoft Vista and he said that he had the Beta version back in August. He said that there were 5 million techie pros figuring out the problems with it. He said he made about 50 reports to them, and got feedback and patches for them.

I think Microsoft learned its lesson by having 5 million test pilots for it.

He said that first and foremost, the system is damned secure.

The only problem is that it is so graphics intensive. He said Dell recommends 2 gigs of RAM for it. I checked my office computer, and I've got 522 K. So, 4 times faster, eh?

He also said that with things like this, to get optimization, you've got to get a fast hard drive.

Our windows programs are operating well, since we don't use our system for any games or other high-intensity applications. Once the cost for high speed hard drives comes down, we'll look into it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

High speed hard drives are dirt cheap now. A 7200rpm 100 gig drive is less then $50 or a 500 gig is $169. He probally ment a fast processor. To upgrade that you also need to upgrade ypur motherboard and memory. At that point you are looking at near the cost of a whole new computer that lready includes a bigger hard drive.

Oh yeah, Microsoft finally locked their code in for release in about October so the developers have had from October until now to rewrite their programs to work on Vista, not all of them work yet. A lot of the security software will not work either since MS has locked the software out from some of the things they could do in XP.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've used the business version for a couple of months now, and it can be summed up in: It's a total waste of money to buy an upgrade, but it's an OK OS, so don't worry when it comes preinstalled with your new computer...

A couple of points:

- Unlike XP, it actually looks good (i always went with the Win95 look in XP), so if that's relevant to you, it's a plus.
- Slower at most things compared to XP.
- Most of the improvements in Explorer (the file manager) seems to be downgrades to me. It tries to do a lot of automagical things but fails doing most of them good _enough_ to acutally be useful, so I end up using dedicated programs for these tasks.
- Requires heavy hardware. The Flip3D, although sometimes useful, does not run smooth on my machine (Intel Core Duo T2500, 2GiB RAM, Nvidia 120M Quadro).
- 3D sound does not work on current hardware.
- OpenGL (a lot of games and almost all business 3D applications) performance is heavily reduced, and VERY, VERY poor when running in windowed mode.
- Quite a few improvements here and there, but also a lot of "downgrades". (For example, the new desktop properties configuration boxes. Who the hell thought that splitting those up were a good idea?)

So... it's somewhat better, but not that much better than XP.

(Also, when Mac users claim that Vista is a Mac OS X clone, remind them most of the features they tout as Apple inventions really isn't. :P)

when Mac users claim that Vista is a Mac OS X clone, remind them most of the features they tout as Apple inventions really isn't. :P)

Who cares who invented it, when OS X is just better than any microsuck product?
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=190&tag=nl.e622

Decent write up, he's a bit lopsided towards Microsoft. I was still able to gather more "basic" info that I was looking for.

I used a beta back in Nov and didn't like it much. I'll upgrade when I buy a new PC.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Windows Vista is (off-the-shelf) overpriced.

--too many aspects of the OS and its apps seem unfinished, halfhearted. There are still quite a bit of software / hardware compatibility issues at play - too many.

I will wait until at least SP1 has been released before considering migrating an existing Windows install from XP to Vista.

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

when Mac users claim that Vista is a Mac OS X clone, remind them most of the features they tout as Apple inventions really isn't. :P)

Who cares who invented it, when OS X is just better than any microsuck product?

lol I know a few old ladies that fell this way, and they still use AOL too. But I know Microsoft is a better product from personal use.:D
My drinking team has a skydiving problem

My feelings about Windows Vista can be summed up in these words:

unimpressed.

Total indifference.

MEH.

I don't mean to be negative here, it's just the way I feel.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?