gemini

Bent and dented deployment bag grommet

One of the deployment bag grommets is bent upward and creased, Bag material is beginning to release.

Concern today was that a line could snag under the bent section.

Anyone got any ideas how this could have happened?

Sabre2 150 with about 1,700 jumps on the bag and main. Line set probably has 300-400 jumps at this time.

Grommet was not bent at beginning of day.

thanks,

Blue skies,

Jim

Can you post a photo?

I assume you are talking about the closing flap grommet(s) on the D-bag?

Wouldn't it more likely be the grommet in the bottom of the bag, thru which the pilot chute and kill line attach/pass? Mine got pretty messed up over time due to the Rapidelink hitting it on deployment, til a rigger put a washer over the line after the Rapidelink, and replaced the grommet.

If it's the bridle gromment they are often damaged over time by hitting the connector link at the bridle. Sometimes a soft link can be substituted but sometimes the french link acts as a stop to keep canopy fabric from going through the bridle gromment. If so a fabric cover can help. In the old days we rutinely replaced these, often changing to a #5 from a #8.

But, you say it was fine at the beginning of the day. Any gromment may have gotten bent by being stepped on OR catching something during deployment that cleared. I'd look close for damage on the container, the bridle, or the lines. Or anything else that could have gotten caught on it. Obviously it needs to be at least reset and maybe probably be replaced.

You may never know how it happened. But look for collateral damaged. A line might not be broke, or binding tape torn but still might have bent the grommet. Especially if they are not stainless. The others, including nickel, aren't real hard. They can't be in order for them to be set.

I didn't look to see what kind of rig but I'd look at the closing loop anchor if it's in the container.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

That's normal wear and tear on a d-bag.
Sometimes the damage is caused by closing flap grommets slapping together after the canopy is out.
The simplest solution is to whack the loose grommet with a smooth-faced hammer or smooth-faced rock.
Better would be asking a rigger to re-set the grommet with a proper grommet die.
If the fabric is significantly torn, then he will have to patch the d-bag before installing a new grommet.

...The simplest solution is to whack the loose grommet with a ... smooth-faced rock.

:o
OOOOooohhh!! I gots-ta-get-me one of those smooth-faced rigger rocks for my Rigger's Kit!!??!
:P

Anyway, I too have wondered how the grommets on D-bags get dinged up. I always wrote it off to them getting stepped on, but gromet to grommet contact during deployment, post canopy exit from the bag, or hitting a French-link used as a stop, like on a lot of kill-lind bridle set-ups makes sense too.

If the grommet is so badly damaged that it could pose a line-snag hazzard, I'd fix it before the next jump and/or replace the D-bag... I've had D-bags that have gotten so worn, you can read a news paper through them, its time. ;)

The dished up/dented grommet where the bridle goes through is pretty common. It's part of my main inspection rigger check when the canopy is hung on the bar, prior to reattatching to the risers to the container.

I disassemble the bag from the bridle and re set with the correct grommet tool and die. If the grommet is too bad, it needs to be replaced. If the fabric is not still good around the grommet, it should be patched with an overlay patch, and then a new grommet installed. (If a D bag is that dogged out, just get a new one).

Whatever you do don't let that dished up/dented/ halfway loose grommet out of your shop. It is not airworthy.