Andy_Copland

So You Think You're Fast?

The Peregrine Falcon is the fastest creature on the planet in its hunting dive, the stoop, in which it soars to a great height, then dives steeply at speeds in excess of 300 km/h (185mph) into either wing of its prey, so as not to harm itself on impact. Although not self-propelled speeds, due to the fact that the falcon gathers the momentum and controls its dive, capture (if any) and landing in its own right, technically there is no faster animal. The fastest speed recorded is 390 km/h (242.3mph).

The fledglings practice the roll and the pumping of the wings before they master the actual stoop.

Thats some animal B|

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peregrine_falcon

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

is that not the same type of bird they used to fly with the birdmen in one of leo dickingsons films

was impresive seeing the bird set off 5 secounds after these guys then beeing able to catch them and fly along beside them
Falling from the top floor
your lungs fill like parachutes

Oh shit. This is gonna hurt.

WTF you wanna stand back for Amazon does SPEED DIVING, she'd kick that feathered things arseB|
Tell 'em DD:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

And theylove to eat pigeon!:)

Oh yeah, I had the privilege to actually witness a Peregrine Falcon dive-bomb a pigeon at the company I used to work for. I was walking outside from one building to another and saw something just off where my eyes were looking at, just coming straight down at a fast rate, disappearing behind a row of hedges. When I got close enough to peer through a gap in the hedge there it was, ripping the guts out of a pigeon with feathers scattered all over.

It was awesome! B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Billy I got to see the same thing under the Longview bridge when I was taking my sloop down the Columbia River from my slip in Portland to my slip at the mouth of the river.

There was a flock of pigeons whelling around under the bridge and all of a sudden I see a streak coming from the other side of the bridge in a dive...

SMACK.. a huge puff of feathers and the falcon dragging off the meatty bits for an afternoon snack for the chicks in her nest.

simply amazing to watch.

One of the most awesome exerience of man kind and coolest video of all time is the falcon section in "Willing to Fly" By Norman Kent.

A belly flyer, a 120 mph space ball/decoy, a camera man, and a falcon "Frightful" is his name.

Watch man and beast fly as one. The bird is doing 120mph , head down, tweaking every feather, and flying like Olav in the early days....learning and adjusting every second of the dive.

To talk to animals is one thing, to fly with them in their own environment....priceless.

Amazing animals they are. If I had a stronger stomach for killing/cleaning small animals (rabbits, squirrels, small birds, etc), falconry is something I have imagined doing since 6th grade or so. The problem of course being I don't know how many rabbit necks I'd have to snap to "get used to it". [:/]