udder

Triathlon : Different Models

Dear search Nazi's, I have searched but can't find the info I'm looking for. I read a thread a while ago that notes the different triathlon models, what dates they were intoduced and what effect the mods had. Could someone please direct me to it or post these again. Or tell me if a 2002 model is a 3.0 or 4.0 model?

Peace, love and cold sores.
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

Udder,
The easiest way to tell is by the upper steering line attachment points.

The 3.0 has the outboard (#1- end rib) attachment point and all of the UST's are the same length.

The 4.0 (or a converted 3.0) skips the #1 attachment point and the inside UST is longer than the other three.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Just to let everyone know Aerodyne contacted me, and the email I used belonged to a person who hasnt worked there for a year... Which is why I didn't get a reply. But I've got two messages in two days here.
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

Get the mod. I had no complaints about my Tri before the mod, but after the mod the flare is much more linear, makes it easier to modulate. I love it that Aerodyne supports old Tris and wont try to sell you a new one if an old one is upgradable. Mine even came back from the mod with a new slider, no extra charge. Weird pinkish color but free, so no complaints here. The Tri is an amazing canopy, still holds it own although designed many many years ago. I always recommend it as a first canopy for students. It is a canopy that is safe for newbies (at appropriate wing loadings) and is still a lot of fun for experienced jumpers. Has Aerodyne ever identified the designer in any ads or articles?
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

...but after the mod the flare is much more linear, makes it easier to modulate...

Ok, I'm a dumbass, maybe. I think I know what you are saying but not really...please explain "linear" and "modulate".
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

By linear I mean that the amount of flare is directly and consistently proportional to brake line deflection, pull a little bit more, get a little bit more flare. Before the mod there would be some points in brake line extension that would give you lots of flare change for very little line movement. Modulate just means changing flare by pulling on the brakes less or more. It is easy to change flare a little or a lot as it is (after the mod) as the response is uniform over the whole range of brake line pull. Hope that explains it. After the mod it is just easier to do a perfect flare every time. The old Tri was fine, but the mod makes a fine canopy even better. I think the mod was designbed by "Beef" their chief rigger and used to be called the "Beef Mod".
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I just got new lines and the mod done on my Tri...and wow...it is seriously like a brand new canopy (but easier to pack).;)

The flare is definitely better. It is still not a surfable flare...but you can get it to stop and the flare keeps going throughout the entire control length.

Better than the flare improvement is the openings...I think this is the biggest + of the mod. I never hated the Tri openings...but now it is very good...my first 4 openings on it (all I've had thus far) might actually give the Spectre and Pilot a run for their money (these are the softest opening canopies I have ever flown).

Anyway, if anyone has an old tri and is thinking of getting the mod...just do it.
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

I can get a little surf on my Tri 160 loaded at .9ish. Other than that, I can't say that I really enjoy the canopy. It was good when I had 30 jumps, now it's just a bus. I suppose if I was loading it higher it would be a little better. I wear 10 pounds of weight whenever I jump it to try to squeeze a bit more performance out of it. Long spot, good luck. Landed off the airport for my first time on Sunday while jumping the Tri. Probably would've landed off on a smaller canopy, but I landed WAY off because I get very little penetration, even with the most rear riser input and loosened chest strap I can give that thing.

But it's great for beginners! And I'm sure it's nice for CReW, too. To each his own, I suppose. Mine is a '98 and I believe it has had the mod.

I landed WAY off because I get very little penetration, even with the most rear riser input and loosened chest strap I can give that thing.

Were you going with the wind or against? Penetration = against, rearrisers = with the wind.

ciel bleu,
Saskia