Squeak

Canadian only please

I'm aware of the futility of asking this but I'd like sreious repsonses from Canadians or those who have been there. (not the general tripe Canada bashing)

So I'm planning our world trip and we are considering entering North America through Vancouver and then going aross to the east coast, and entering the States through Buffalo.
So We plan on leaving OZ in December, is it a doablel thing or too much snowy stuff?
Also what are the must see/do's in Canada?

Thanks for your serious replies (fuck off to the rest of the replies)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm aware of the futility of asking this but I'd like sreious repsonses from Canadians or those who have been there. (not the general tripe Canada bashing)

So I'm planning our world trip and we are considering entering North America through Vancouver and then going aross to the east coast, and entering the States through Buffalo.
So We plan on leaving OZ in December, is it a doablel thing or too much snowy stuff?
Also what are the must see/do's in Canada?

Thanks for your serious replies (fuck off to the rest of the replies)

How are you planning on travelling when you get to Vancouver? If you're driving, yes, you WILL encounter a LOT of snow. Especially through the Rockies. Which are a MUST see. Seriously. BIG mountains!

Why December? It's fuckin' cold in Canada in the winter! Unless you're planning on skiing when you're here. If you want a nice trip, try May-ish ...

PM if you want more info. I can help with BC through to Sask ... the rest of the country, you're on your own!

Edited to add: the fuckin' cold comment was not Canada bashing. :P
'Shell

DUDE..I have done something that even most Canadians have not done. I have been in EVERY province and Territory of Canada. I have driven every mile of the Trans Canada Highway and even I am not stupid enough to try that shit in the winter. ( I have a big 4x4 and can chain up all 4 if I need to plus I have been driving in snow all my life)

In the summer its an awsum trip but why stop in Buffalo... take it all the way to the Canadian Maritimes....

DUDE..I have done someting that even most Canadians have not done. I have been in EVERY province and Territory of Canada. I have driven every mile of the Trans Canada Highway and even I am not stupid enough to try that shit in the winter.

In the summer its an awsum trip but why stop in Buffalo... take it all the way to the Canadian Maritimes....

Amazon's right ... don't stop until you hit the Maritimes. There are some BEAUTIFUL sights and even more beautiful people!
'Shell

Take the time to look around both BC (Check out Pitt Meadows DZ, Stanley Park, Grouse Grind, Whistler, Squamish, and the Island. Oh yeah, Vancouver) and Alberta (Calgary, Banff and Lake Louise). Driving through the Rockies in winter is not fun so you may want to do it in spring. Saskatchewan and Manitoba are good places to miss. The drive though western Ontario is quite scenic, some good dropzones in Ontario STI in Barrie, Mile High near Ottawa. You will hit quebec on the way to the Maritimes but that is OK, because the ordeal will be over before you know it. Stop in Neffland and do the screetch ritual.

Again it depends on the time of year. In the winter it gets snowy. Also watch for wild animals on the highway. Many a driver has destroyed his car crashing into a Rocky Mountain Bighorn Kangaroo.

If it is summer try surfing off Vancouer island; apparently pretty popular and no great whites.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

***'Cause it's summer in OZ, and they probably think it's the same here. Either that or it is when he has time off from teaching.

Yeah it summer then but I'm fully aware of global seasons,
The reason is that we are doing a World trip and it's a one way deal, so North america is at the start. I've never seen snow so I wanted to see the rockies in winter. is there a trans country rail service that goes across?

Just so it's clear
I HAVE NO PLANS REPEAT NO PLANS TO DRIVE ON SNOW[RED]

I'm looking at travelling overland if possible by rail or bus:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

***'Cause it's summer in OZ, and they probably think it's the same here. Either that or it is when he has time off from teaching.

The reason is that we are doing a World trip and it's a one way deal, so North america is at the start. I've never seen snow so I wanted to see the rockies in winter. is there a trans country rail service that goes across?

www.viarail.ca
'Shell

Just so it's clear
I HAVE NO PLANS REPEAT NO PLANS TO DRIVE ON SNOW[RED]

Yeas there is a tran canada rail line...very scenic and I would suggest it over driving. Quite frankly, if you have never driven in snow, driving anywhere in Canada during the winter months will be more dangerous than that jumping out of planes thingy....I would seriously suggest against it.

Plus, the prairy provinces are quite boring to drive through, and that would be a very large part of your trip. I am on my blackberry posting this, but send me a pm and I will give you more info tomorrow if you'd like.

Just so it's clear
I HAVE NO PLANS REPEAT NO PLANS TO DRIVE ON SNOW[/RED]

WHEW! I thought for a minute there I might need your itinerary so I could be sure I WASN'T on the roads at the same time as you were!

:D;)
'Shell

***Plus, the prairy provinces are quite boring to drive through, and that would be a very large part of your trip..

Dude you have not seen the middle of OZ :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Nullabor Plain (Nullabor mean Tree less plain)

Dave I'm going to be doing the USA after Canada,vI've been there two times already so it's not a big priiorty, I'm much more interested in seeing new places. I will be attempting to make the holiday boogie though:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

NO PLANS TO DRIVE ON SNOW

You big ozzie pussy.... :ph34r:

BC and the Alberta Rockies are awesome. As a tourist, I wouldnt recomment any of the Alberta cities as destinations to check out, especially that time of year... BBBBRRRRR!!!!

Toronto will be OK. but in Jan-Feb, there are big winter festivals in Quebec City (google Carnaval de Quebec), and to a lesser extent Montreal.

The Maritimes are in deed beaitifull, but, they'll be a little dreary that time of year.
Remster

I don't know if it's doable or not, but I've heard of a trans-Canada train trip that is supposed to be pretty neat, but I don't know if that would follow the "plan".

Having said that, if you can find a way to see California, and the desert SW US, you wouldn't be sorry.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

You have to get off the TransCanada highway when you are in Saskatchewan ...Cypress Hills, Grasslands National Park in the south, Prince Albert National Park and thousands of other lakes in the north of the province. Lots of beauty in this province and no dang mountains blocking the view!! B|

As mentioned by others, if you have no experience driving in snow, ice, blinding blizzards....most of this country isn't for you until May...three weeks ago we had an incredible blizzard in Saskatchewan...4 people died after abandoning their stuck vehicles and trying to walk to shelter.

I believe you can still take a Via Rail train from Vancouver to Toronto/Montreal. I have done this trip many, many times by train and by car. The train can be a fantastic way to see Canada...head down to the dome car, get a seat up top and watch the country roll past.

I've lived and worked everywhere in Canada except the Maritimes and far north...it's all good!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I've done the cross Canada Rail thing and If I had to do it again I would skip the Calgary to the Ontario Border part it looks all the same after the Rockies. The Trip from Vancouver with a Overnight stay at the Banff Springs Hotel and a trip to the Hot Springs a must.

In Ontario You Can go to Sudbury part of the Canadian Shield and See the Big nickel, Dynamic Earth a Mine museum that you go down in to a former mine, Southern Ontario you have Niagara Falls There is a Good tour of the Hydro Electric Power Station there. See the falls and go behind them (the maid of the mist and white wate trail is closed in winter) but still an awesome View none the less) , And Toronto ( Where I Live) The new addition to Royal Ontario Museum Will Be completed then, CN Tower, Casa Loma , Skating at Nathan Philips Square at the City Hall, then you can head east to Ottawa Many Museums Skating on the Redeau Canal, The Newly opened Canada War Museum , Museum of Natural History. Are my Favorites then in to Quebec in Quebec I wouldn't miss Montreal with the Churches/Cathedrals and the old City and Old Quebec City. Then there’s the East Coast with Lots to see.

Banff
Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel
Hot Springs In Banff National Park
For Sking In Banff there are three Places (Shunshine for the steeps and Lousie for the View are my picks
Sunshine Village
Lake Louise
Mount Norquay

Sudbury
Mine Mesuem
The Big nickel

Toronto
CN Tower the Tallest free standing structer in the world
The ROM
Casa Loma
If you Like Architecture
The Art Gallery Of Ontario
Nathan Philips Square for Skating
This Is a good Deal for the CN Tower , The Art Galery of Ontario, Casa Loma , The ROM and Ontario Science Centrer

Niagra Falls
Butterfly Conservitory
and the Falls them self

Ottawa
Rideau Canal Skating (Dont forget to have a beave Tail)
The War Meseum
Museum of Civilization
National Gallery of Canada
Tour of Canada Parlament building center block

Montreal
Mount Royal
Old Montréal Ghost Tours
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

NO PLANS TO DRIVE ON SNOW

You big ozzie pussy.... :ph34r:

BC and the Alberta Rockies are awesome. As a tourist, I wouldnt recomment any of the Alberta cities as destinations to check out, especially that time of year... BBBBRRRRR!!!!

'scuse me??? I believe that comment is considered Canada bashing and should be disregarded by the author of this thread.

:P
'Shell

i'm a canuck, and i've lived in alberta, southern ontario and the maritimes. i hate it when people call ontario 'eastern canada'. there's about a third of the country to the east of ontario! from the buffalo border crossing to my doorstep it's about 1100 miles or so, and there's more canada to the east of me.

that said, (rant over), don't do it in december. cold, nasty, snowy. if you like skiing, stop in the rockies and ski until spring. then come east. last summer i did the drive up the icefields parkway. it's a highway that runs from banff to jasper through the mountains. amazing scenery, and you can stop and wander around on a glacier. worth the trip, but once again, in december the whole place seems like a glacier.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I'm going to repeat what most others have said. It can get really cold and snowy that time of year here. Today for instance has a high of -15C. And it's been snowing for the last few days, and will continue for the next couple of days. It may be pretty to look at, but unless you are a skier, it doesn't leave much to do. I love my country, but I love it more in the spring and summer. Then it's truely beautiful.

at least you have a shot at a chinook out there. we just get the cold. stupid winter. it's only purpose is to let me save money for summer and appreciate it more when it gets here.
MB4252 TDS699

ok for all those who are not paying attention

I"M DOING IT IN DECEMBER, I know it will be snowing, but North America is our starting point and our start is December.

Thanks for all the info so far please keep adding if you have something else:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

if you're doing it in winter, check out some rail packages. probably the best way to see the mountains in winter if you aren't skiing on them. it's not like the roads are impassable all winter, just very unpredictable.

check out via rail, our national rail line, such as it is. [unsure]
MB4252 TDS699

Good on ya for coming in the winter! Make your first stop Mountain Equipment Co-op in Vancouver to buy lots of good winter clothing. As long as you're dressed for it there is lots to do in winter....

Ski, snowshoe, snowboard, snow kiteboarding, snowmobiling, ice skating, ice fishing, snowmobiling, dog sledding, etc,etc.

This morning in Saskatoon: minus 30C and the windchill made it feel like -40....my sons turned down my offer of a ride to school and walked.

Be sure to check out the attached when you pass through Edmonton...
back yard rink with a home-made Zamboni machine (for resurfacing the ice) ;) 'Shell would be proud!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey