Squeak

Canadian only please

My two cents worth. You're entering Vancouver in December and you've never seen snow. Rent a car, drive to Whistler - ski resort north of Vancouver. Spend a few days there if you can afford it in time and/or money. Rent some equipment and take some ski lessons. Try skiing and snowboarding. You're going to be in the perfect place for some winter fun. Make the most of it.

I know you didn't want an American's opinion but I do have somethig nice to say. Rossland, BC is a very cool little town. FOr skiing try Red Mountain, and White water. Awesome tree boarding at both places and a small town feel that'll have you feeling at home from the time you hit the first bar. Just ignore the smell of the mill. :ph34r:

I know you didn't want an American's opinion but I do have somethig nice to say. Rossland, BC is a very cool little town. FOr skiing try Red Mountain, and White water. Awesome tree boarding at both places and a small town feel that'll have you feeling at home from the time you hit the first bar. Just ignore the smell of the mill. :ph34r:

Your serious reply is most welcome Clay:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The problem with Via Rail out of Vancouver is that they do most of the trip through the Rockies at night, which in December starts at 4:30pm. They're also kinda pricey if you want anything more than a coach seat for this multi-day trek. Since you're coming all this way, pony up some extra dough and go with Rocky Mountaineer Rail Tours. http://www.rockymountaineer.com/

They run a couple of special winter trains that do the route in daylight, stopping for the night to put you up in a hotel (included in the price). And their rolling stock is decades newer than Via's, with big picture windows so you can ooo and ahhh at the scenery while the guide points out the cool stuff.

Both trains roll past my condo window but I only envy the Mountaineer passengers.

---
Doug the DZ Bum

***'Cause it's summer in OZ, and they probably think it's the same here. Either that or it is when he has time off from teaching.

Yeah it summer then but I'm fully aware of global seasons,
The reason is that we are doing a World trip and it's a one way deal, so North america is at the start. I've never seen snow so I wanted to see the rockies in winter. is there a trans country rail service that goes across?

Just so it's clear
I HAVE NO PLANS REPEAT NO PLANS TO DRIVE ON SNOW[RED]

I'm looking at travelling overland if possible by rail or bus:)

But, but, I can see the foothills to the Rockies from my back deck!!!! And we have Rocky Mountain National Forest here in Colorado, and a wind tunnel, and me B| and our winters are so much nicer. Besides, the Rockies will be snow capped until at least June.

I'm just sayin'..................

And I'm HURT that the US is not a priority. :P

Maybe I'll go to Australia next December. When I'll be sure not to run into you!!:D:D:D

Ill be going through the USA, and visiting many states, you will not miss out:ph34r::ph34r: but you do know my wife is comming ;)

haha, yeah, but she's the one I want to sleep with, so it's all cool.....

:D:D:D:D

I'm on out side Vid then;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If you don't want to drive in snow and there's snow all over and all across a 5000 km wide country, why don't you start in the US and come to Canada later?

BTW, snow is good. It's a lot colder under a clear sky then on snowy days.
My imaginary friend just called you Crazy ... What are you gonna do about it?

thanks for that :)

Cheers. Now that you've got me thinking about stuff to see in western Canada in winter, I've done the 3 night Northern Lights tour with these guys and they're great. http://www.altacan.ab.ca/english.html They put you up at a hotel and each evening drive the group to a clubhouse away from the city lights so you can see the Aurora in the clear prairie air. Daytime you can poke around the city of Ft. Mcmurray, home to the oilsands (more oil than the middle east). Don't miss the "Oilsands Discovery Center" where you can see how it's all done, including the largest trucks on the planet.

"Ft. Mac" is easy to get to from Edmonton or Calgary by coach or air. Westjet usually has slightly better fares and tons better service than Air Canada. http://www.westjet.com

Another thing I've wanted to do but haven't yet is Ice Cave hiking (tramping) in Jasper in the rockies. Here's one company I googled up, I'm sure they're others as well. http://www.jasperadventurecentre.com/winter.html

And just for the spectacle of it, if you're in Edmonton check out the worlds largest mall. http://www.westedmall.com They've got a full waterpark, amusement center with roller coasters, more submarines than the Canadian Navy, restaurants and cinemas... you don't have to come out for days.

---
Doug the DZ Bum

And just for the spectacle of it, if you're in Edmonton check out the worlds largest mall. http://www.westedmall.com They've got a full waterpark, amusement center with roller coasters, more submarines than the Canadian Navy, restaurants and cinemas... you don't have to come out for days.

West Edmonton Mall is not the largest in the world any more. It's been surpassed in size by several other malls, most of which are in Asia. I believe that it's still the largest in North America. It's bigger than anything in Australia and worth a look if you do happen to pass through Edmonton.

With regards to skiing or snowboarding, I'm going to assume since you've never seen snow, you've never skied or snowboarded before. That being the case, you don't need to spend big dollars going to Whistler and you don't really want to waste your time hitting big powder hills like Red. Skiing/riding in powder takes more skill and is hard work. You want to start on nice, gentle groomed runs. I'd probably suggest either trying it out on a smaller hill in town somewhere. I haven't been to Vancouver, but I'm assuming that something like Grouse mountain would be a better place to give it a try. Smaller, more economical. If you really want to try somewhere with big hills, then I'd suggest perhaps Lake Louise. It's near Banff, which has a number of other attractions worth seeing. I never really got into the BC Rockies, so perhaps someone can suggest somewhere that's more cost-effective to a beginner skier.

I'd highly recommend that you get out east. I've only been to Halifax out there, so far, but it's a great town with a very fun atmosphere and lots of good local beers.

If you like sports at all, try to go and see a hockey game, live. I would suggest trying to catch a game in Edmonton or Calgary. They're passionate about their hockey out there, and ticket prices are much more reasonable than Toronto. Most of my friends from here travel to Montreal to see live hockey if they need their fix, so that might be another option. Not sure about Vancouver or Ottawa as far as hockey goes. You don't need to understand the game, I didn't have much of a clue my first time around, but it was still a great game to watch.

I hope that helps. I think other people have give you a lot of good ideas, though.