mattmais

Would you jump this?

Interesting , probably been posted before. been jumped b4?

The world's biggest hole is located in Russia. It is actually a diamond mine in Eastern Siberia near the town of Mirna Mirny at 525 metres deep and a diameter of 1.25 km.

The suction from the hole resulted in several helicopter crashes and therefore flight above the hole is now prohibited.

here is the link

http://www.hemmy.net/2006/07/26/worlds-biggest-hole-in-russia/

I think a good stunt would be to get out high, and delay opening until past ground level. Some wimp stuntman wanna be did it over the hole in Mexico, but only from about 500 feet higher, using a helicopter.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I think a good stunt would be to get out high, and delay opening until past ground level. Some wimp stuntman wanna be did it over the hole in Mexico, but only from about 500 feet higher, using a helicopter.

I believe that was B.J. Worth, wasn't aware he was such a wimp...

But, uh no, I wouldn't jump it. 525m is about 1700 ft, which ain't too bad, but if it generates currents that can bring down a chopper with engines, I wouldn't want to think what it could do to a canopy.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

There is an old copper mine just south of Salt Lake City that is comparable in size. Years ago, aircraft used to take unauthorized aerial tours of the pit. I was down in it once with a J3 Cub and it was big enough to do a loop inside the pit with only the very top of the manuever going above the rim. The pit is a series of stairsteps down to the bottom with nothing high enough to jump from.
A local helicopter company taking a newly-wed couple on a flight went down in the pit after snagging a power line, killing all on board and after that, all flights near the pit were prohibited.
Zing Lurks

But, uh no, I wouldn't jump it. 525m is about 1700 ft, which ain't too bad, but if it generates currents that can bring down a chopper with engines, I wouldn't want to think what it could do to a canopy.

Hey, it's Sibir, chances are the pilot lost grip of his vodka and let go of the controls to find it:) Nothing to do with air currents at all!

But that would do a damn cool h&p logbook entry, exit at 3,500, pulled at -500B|
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

The world's biggest hole is located in Russia. It is actually a diamond mine in Eastern Siberia near the town of Mirna Mirny at 525 metres deep and a diameter of 1.25 km.

Sorry, world's biggest hole is the Kennecott Copper mine SW of SLC, Utah. It's 2.5 miles across, and 3/4's of a mile deep, about 4 km by 1 km. Got that Russian one beat all to heck. http://www.utah.com/attractions/kennecott.htm

The suction from the hole resulted in several helicopter crashes and therefore flight above the hole is now prohibited/

Bullshit.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I concur....isn't that just a chopper getting caught in it's own downwash and pulling itself down???
:P

vortex ring state I believe???

Right. Vortex ring state can happen regardless of the terrain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Wasn't it Patrick De Gayardon, creator of the winsguit who did that? I recall reading that somwhere

And I think there's a bigger hole in China wich is 600 meters deep, Jeb Corliss jumped it
pics here http://www.basedreams.com/base_pics_asia_pre_2006.asp
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

There is an old copper mine just south of Salt Lake City that is comparable in size. Years ago, aircraft used to take unauthorized aerial tours of the pit. I was down in it once with a J3 Cub...

If you ever go to Meteor Crater in Arizona, there is the wreckage of a small plane down in the bottom. He went in for what he probably thought would be a really cool visit, and couldn't get back out above the steep rim... It's 700 feet deep, and 4,000' in diameter.

Photo attached.