Rover7

New for 2007...

Has there been any manufacture leaks regarding any groundbreaking new gear or improvements for 2007? When would they announce anything new? I was thinking about ordering a new rig, but heard that new products are often released in Jan.

While we're on the subject, my top choices are Odyssey, Mirage G4, Micron. Any suggestions?

When would they announce anything new?

PIA Symposium is the likely event for the debut of new gear. Sometimes manufacturers will advertise the debut in the major skydiving publications - sometimes overtly, other times with an element of mystery.

There is already quite a roster of Dotcommers who will be there.
Arrive Safely

John

Yeah, they START at 500 bucks more, plus add opt dude. you'll spend about 1000 more, and plus what is with the price changes>:( Every time when I get a copy of Paragear the price went up another 100 bucks. My view is that if you can't fly for shit, tricked out Mirage, Vector, Javelin don't mean shit, expensive rig doesn't make you fly better. You already know what to buy, stick with it...... It took me weeks to figure out what to buy.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

:D Wow! You're just trying to make friends, aren't you. :D

If you want top notch gear - no worries, it's your money. However, lose the attitude. Stayhigh was making a point about the additional cost of things. As you are new and looking at buying a rig, you were just being made aware of additional costs and how they can add up.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

What's happening dude? Read the Polllsssss thread in this forum about racers. The gear police are heavy handed in this forum. For the most part there is no blatantly bad gear out there that is still being manufactured. Be carefull of the older stuff, but every one here has an opinion and they are more than willing to let you know it. Be carefull out there.

1. RACER:ph34r:
2. Jav
3. Mirage
4. Infinity
5. Vector
6. Wings

That is a list of some of the more popular ones. You don't have to spend a grip of money to get a good rig. Just ask the rigger at your DZ or some of the more experienced jumpmasters. Usually DZO's will try to make money off of you by selling gear. When it comes to gear the choices pretty much are just a matter of personal preferance. It sucks being a new jumper because everyone is telling you what they would buy and what they like, but you need to try on as many different rigs as possible and then make your decision. Go to a bigger DZ and ask the jumpers there about their rigs. You will get a lot of different responses but you may find out a thing or two that you like or do not like. Good luck.

Sandy at RI doens't make a bad product at all. I really was impressed with the new talon rigs. The Voodo is pretty comfy too. I like the new talons if they are smaller. I think they look better with really tiny canopies in them. hahaha

I havn't had a good chance to take a good look at an Icon yet, but I'm sure it is a good rig too.

Everyone - this is a topical forum. One liners don't belong here . . . take those to Bonfire. The thread turned into a pile of one-liners, which have been removed.

Stayhigh and plutoniumsalmon - personal attacks are not permitted anywhere in the dropzone.com forums; this is your one warning.

This is a good conversation, so I took the time to clean up the thread. Please make it worth my effort and keep the thread on topic.

Thanks.
Arrive Safely

John

Are the announcements at PIA of the "We're ready to put this on the market and it'll be available as soon as we get back from Reno" type or of the "This is in development and we hope it'll be available later this year or early next year" type? That might help the OP decide whether it's worth waiting to see what comes out of the next PIA meeting before ordering.

I remember hearing about the Alti-Track in early '05 (I think after PIA) and it wasn't available for at least a year after.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Has there been any manufacture leaks regarding any groundbreaking new gear or improvements for 2007? When would they announce anything new? I was thinking about ordering a new rig, but heard that new products are often released in Jan.

I know of at least three things that will be unveiled there.

All really cool stuff!:)

Cheers,
MEL

Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

I remember hearing about the Alti-Track in early '05 (I think after PIA) and it wasn't available for at least a year after.

There was laso talk of the new canopy fabric that packs a 143 into a 106 size...nothing has eventuated with that yet has it, thats was what 2 years ago:ph34r::ph34r:.

PIA (and other trade shows) can sometime just be adding burley to the water;):ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

There was laso talk of the new canopy fabric that packs a 143 into a 106 size...nothing has eventuated with that yet has it, thats was what 2 years ago.

In the responsible manufacturer world, that's called R&D. We prefer to test stuff so that our customers don't have to.

There is all kinds of new stuff in the works from many manufacturers. Whether they are ready or not is another thing...

Waiting for the "next, new thing" is an option...if you don't mind waiting for all the testing to be done. PIA is about showing new innovations in the works, not necessarily what will be available in the upcoming season. It's a trade show for manufacturers, not a trade show for finished products ready for the market.

Keep it in perspective and you won't be disappointed. :)

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.