shropshire

Coffee shop workers.....

Barista.

You'd be laughing your ass off in Seattle, then. They take their coffee-making skills VERY seriously here!:D:D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My local barista is so damn cheerful in the morning. When I go through the drive thru she gives me my coffee and says, "here is your hot delicious beverage" and if I get the blueberry coffee cake she says "fabulous choice" ( in an animated tone with a huge smile ) as if I've chosen the holy grail of Starbucks pastry.

I have to admit though, she always makes me smile if not laugh.

Entered into English from the Italian in which it means roughly "bartender" (plural: baristi [masculine or mixed sex] or bariste [feminine]). The term is derived from the Italian use of the word bar, which is similar to the American or British café. In Italy, the barista typically works behind a counter, serving both hot (such as espresso and other coffee-based ones) and cold alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.

When using the term in English, "barista" refers to one who has acquired some level of expertise in the preparation of espresso-based coffee drinks. Within certain circles, its meaning is expanding to include what might be called a coffee sommelier; a professional who is highly skilled in coffee preparation, with a comprehensive understanding of coffee, coffee blends, espresso, quality, coffee varieties, roast degree, espresso equipment, maintenance, latte art, etc.

most do not eaven come clost tothis as all they do is follow pre set instructions on how to make the stuff. Most are just trying to sound trendy instaed of being called a mimium wage service monkey.

Now goign to a cood Itilan coffe sho then your talking good expresso
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

Sorry -- not trying to take the fun out of this post -- but I just had to reply to:

Most are just trying to sound trendy instaed of being called a mimium wage service monkey.

While I'm sure you're just trying to be funny -- I would like to remind you that not all of us define our existences by what we do. Some prefer to be defined instead by who they are.

I used to have a really cool job. I mean really cool. The sort that when you told people what you did -- they got really excited and wanted to talk to you about it for hours. Maybe they even wanted to hang out with you specifically because you had said "cool" job.

In the past year -- I've abandoned my career completely. Most people who thought it was so damn cool don't get why I quit. I'll admit that some days I have my doubts too.

In recent months I've been both a waitress and a "minimum wage service monkey" at a coffeshop , and you know what? I enjoyed being a half-ass barista more than you can imagine. The work was fun and stress free and I got to drink as much freakin' espresso as my heart (beating extremely quickly mind you,) desired. The best part of the whole experience was that I was NOT defined by what I did. And I can happily say that I never will be again.

Good luck with your life-defining job -- whatever it is. At least you can feel smug every morning when you get that cup of coffee from the service monkey across the counter. I mean, thank god that's not you, right? Whatever.

Oh, and one more thing...Ninjas ARE way cooler than pirates.

Also, excuse me... I laughed because I had never heard a such grandeous job title for that position.

There's certainly nothing wrong the that job, it's a perfectly valid job (even in this country, where service isn't so respected - no really, it generally isn't) - but that Job Title is rather daft.

Blue Skies

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I wasn't really lashing out at you -- and to be honest -- I suppose I must be fairly sensitive to the fact that I'm in the service industry at the moment if I felt the need to reply in the first place! :$

It's interesting that you say hospo workers aren't really respected in the UK -- I worked with tons of English and Irish in Queenstown -- and come to think of it, it honestly did seem like the English (and maybe Welsh too) kinda had a complex about working as a waitress or bartender. In conversation it often came up that they were "only doing this here".

Didn't seem to be the case with Irish though -- I met plently of lovely Irish guys who were happy to tell you they worked in a pub at home -- or more likely, they worked in a trade at home. Didn't seem to ever matter though and it seemed like work was just there to give them good stories to tell over a beer or nine -- not there to give meaning to their lives. I thought that was really cool.

Oh, and one more thing...Ninjas ARE way cooler than pirates.

Its good isn't it :S

What really pisses me off is how everyone seems to be an engineer. >:(
Install double glazing. Thats an engineer. Someone who mixes paint, they are an engineer. How the fuck?! Even insurance assesors say they are engineers nowadays *sigh*

I guess that means I'm an attitude engineer or a community welfare engineer
:D What a crock huh!?

EDIT: The flowery poncy names for job titles just annoys me. Used to be security guards or store detective. Now they are Loss Prevention Officers or Revenue Protection. Does make me chortle

<> - Thanks, I knew that, I just wanted to explain.

yeap, folk in the U.K do not aspire to being service staff. Staff turn-over tends to be high. Unlike the French (in particular). We go back to the same restaurants year after year in France and see the same faces, working there.

(.)Y(.)

:D

I love Starbucks, too. Being that I'm a Starbucks card holder (not the credit card, the reloadable kind--makes it easier to just pay once/month than every day have to make an entry in my register ((yes, I log EVERY-THING! And I'm verbose.))) and a regular, I am convinced it was my letter to the affiliates that prompted the promotion of my favorite baristo (is that the boy version of the term?) to manager (the previous manager sucked! Pardon my french).

We go at 6 a.m. every morning and they not only know my early a.m. drink, but also my afternoon drink, should I stop by. They are annoying cheerful and don't understand why I don't wish to be the bridesmaid at my friend's wedding (B|), but nonetheless, I can enter with shades, be on the phone with a client, and not have to utter a word--if I so choose--and they will graciously prepare my pre-determined beverage of choice.

Fucking geniuses. Worth every penny!
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Careful:P

I much perfer coffee to tea..... But it also gets me when people order Latte..... If I was servering them, all they'd get is eactly what they asked for ... Hot Milk. Ask for a Cafe latte if you want any coffee in it:P

(.)Y(.)

Thats right. Starbucks is too posh for me. Who needs plush leather sofas when you got the cold, damp concrete wall up the seafront. WAHEY! :D

well not so much of the cold but the concrete wall at the ocean is where i prefer to imbibe my coffee:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Americans love chains! I don't know why. Personally, I like the mom & pop places. I loved living in Portland, Oregon. There are coffee shops everywhere, and coffee depots in front of coffee shops. In the Northwest district alone, if you visited a new coffee shop every Sunday, you couldn't visit them all in a year's time. Starbucks is nasty. they burn their beans. But I do like the chocolate covered coffee beans.