jtval

Square one consistently loses my business.

Ya know, if a store does not carry an item, then the search function will not find it.
It does not mean the search function is broken.

No, but when you search on "camera helmet" and get a bunch of gobbledygook like Phreezone shows in his post, or put in "pantz" and get the same result, I do believe that means the search function is, in fact, broken.

Maybe you had better look at the site and what is being reported here and fix it instead of getting offended. If I had paid for functionality on a web page and what I received didn't work and caused me to lose customers, I don't think I'd be mad at the customers ...

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Add to this:

If I go to a store, I don't search for an item, unless the store is something like Walmart and the item I want is an exact brand and product.

No, instead I find the category it would be in and I expect to see ALL of the products within that category listed so I can compare them. Let me give you an example.

I want to buy a skydiving t-shirt. I don't know which one I want but I know I want something. So I go to Square1. I see the button, "Clothing" which gives me a menu of types of clothing. So I click "T-shirts". Instead of showing me all of the tshirts in one page it gives me a drop down with the names of the shirts. I have better things to do then click three levels of a menu for every tshirt I want to see.

So, now I go to Paragear. I click "Clothing". It shows me ALL of their clothing. Great, now I can quickly scroll through the page and see what I like. And hence, they got my business.

I have nothing against Square1. I've bought a used container and some DVDs from there (over the phone) and the service was great. The website, however, sucks ass.
This ad space for sale.

I have to agree with ya... I've had great experiences ordering from square1 before, but I've had a lot of trouble since they put up this new site and they have lost business from me. I was searching for something I knew they sold, but the search failed (database error), and wasn't able to find it in any category. I also generally don't like the look or functionality of the site when it is working properly, but that's just my opinion.

Just as an example, I wanted a particular type of goggles but didn't know what they were called. I had to click on each brand of goggles until I found the ones I was looking for. But in that case, I did buy from them... twice actually!

Dave

I agre with you and Dave. I have no idea on what their brand name is on some of the stuff. If I want to look at a helmet why should I have to click on each make to see what it is instead of having it scrollable and displaying all the similar items.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

As much as I love Tony, Kate and Jan, I have to agree - the new website sucks. The old one was a pain to update but it worked a lot better on the user end than the new one does.

That said, I don't choose who to buy skydiving equipment from based on their website. I'll buy from the companies that I know will take good care of me, are owned/run by current skydivers that I know and respect and that make a point of employing skydivers instead of whuffos.

There are at least two gear stores out there that I will never buy a single item from, not even if they have the newest, neatest, most functional website there is. Why? Because it's my opinion that the owners of these stores are either unethical, total assholes or both.

If I ever have money to spend on gear again, I'll call Square One.

Hi this is Tony Domenico president of Square One, Thank everyone for your comments, I really appreciate them. We are aware of many of these user problems, we will be changing the site soon. Our attempt was to have a site that was different, not just a cookie cutter site you take out of a box and put on line. Sometimes the best attempts just don't work out as planned.

We are working on several large really cool projects right now and we have not giving the web site the amount of time it takes to keep it up to date. My apologies for that. You will see one or more of our new projects this year, you will be impressed I promise.

Thanks for the feed back this is what helps us.

We promise to do better! And keep the feed back coming it really helps

Sincerely

Tony Domenico

none of that makes any fuckin' sense,,the website is run like a business that cares what its doing or you want to buy from friends,,pick one !

What exactly doesn't make sense? I read your post four times and I still have no idea what you're trying to say.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Hi this is Tony Domenico president of Square One, Thank everyone for your comments, I really appreciate them. We are aware of many of these user problems, we will be changing the site soon. Our attempt was to have a site that was different, not just a cookie cutter site you take out of a box and put on line. Sometimes the best attempts just don't work out as planned.

We are working on several large really cool projects right now and we have not giving the web site the amount of time it takes to keep it up to date. My apologies for that. You will see one or more of our new projects this year, you will be impressed I promise.

Sincerely

Tony Domenico

That's the professional reply I would expect from Square 1.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

:S Of course it doesn't,,does anything around here apply normal business practice? of course not. Every body plays the grey area and spends alot of time whine ing. In the real world folks move on to the next website and spend their money there,,its simple. The only good skydiving website out the is Skydive Elsinore,,i always leave smiling,the rest have me cursing cuz they either don't work or are never updated....flame me if you want,,but spend a day clicking and then look at the rest of the internet...B|;)
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

:S Of course it doesn't,,does anything around here apply normal business practice? of course not. Every body plays the grey area and spends alot of time whine ing. In the real world folks move on to the next website and spend their money there,,its simple. The only good skydiving website out the is Skydive Elsinore,,i always leave smiling,the rest have me cursing cuz they either don't work or are never updated....flame me if you want,,but spend a day clicking and then look at the rest of the internet...B|;)

Um....unless I'm mistaken, Elsinore's store doesn't work at the moment:

FATAL ERROR: register_globals is disabled in php.ini, please enable it!

This ad space for sale.

Glad you replied. and for the record I was not trashing your business as many seem to think.
I did trash the website, though. My opinions were stated in strong words. If suck is a strong word. I just didn't think skydivers would get all whiney about that word. somehow I will learn to live another day, as, I am sure, will you.)

That is great but I primarily order through the web. I only assumed most skydiving business was, as well.
The problem is that I prefer to use square1 due to my location but if the item is not on the website I will go to the next one. I also assumed you sold the gold member (and other cam mounting systems).

Sincerely

Tony Domenico

I'm glad this was useful.

Jan Replied--
Ya know, if a store does not carry an item, then the search function will not find it.
It does not mean the search function is broken.

Apparently, you think I am stupid. Luckily, a bunch of others already addressed this issue. I attached a screen print of a search for HOOK KNIFE.
The search function IS broken

apparently sunshine factory does not sell the gold member either.Crazy

Where is your thread bashing them?

Their site works fine. I wasn't bashing Square one. I was bashing their site. because , in case you didn't see it already, their search function sucks. BASHING? did you read my original post?

A search on 'camera helmets' shows 11 matches on a single page.

REALLY?! Not on my computer. apparently I am not the only one with this problem. Even Tony said they are aware of it.
if I click the "helmet "button I have to search through EACH type of helmet, one at a time.
if I was just browsing to compare and contrast it would drive me nuts.

All their contact info is on EVERY page - right at the top for easy viewing..

I would assume you are talking about the sales@square 1 address. first off, I wouldn't go as far as to say (what , is it) 8 Font is easy viewing. but , yes I did see it. and you know that because you quoted my reply. if you read my OP you have have seen that I would assume this is the "SALES" dept. why would I bother "SALES" with a website problem? I suspect you are personally offended by this post for your own reasons but if you would read my post (then those who posted before you) you would see there is a legitimate problem.

So, as I told Tbrown...EASE UP!!!!

My photos

My Videos

Jan, You sent me a PM which I replied to but you do not accept PM's so I will respond here.

Hi JT,

I was trying to reproduce the error you got on Square1's web site with the search function.

They only way I could reproduce it was to increase the security setting in IE.
The error does not occur under Firefox.

I was wondering if you could try temporarily setting your security to a lower value to see if the search worked then.

If that does work for you then, then I know that the web server has a mis-configuration.
I will ask the web server administrator to correct this....

I am sorry that you had trouble with the Square1 web site.

That did the trick. When I lowered my security settings to the lowest setting it allowed the function to work. Thanks for addressing this issue;)
My photos

My Videos

Jan, You sent me a PM which I replied to but you do not accept PM's so I will respond here.

Hi JT,

I was trying to reproduce the error you got on Square1's web site with the search function.

They only way I could reproduce it was to increase the security setting in IE.
The error does not occur under Firefox.

I was wondering if you could try temporarily setting your security to a lower value to see if the search worked then.

If that does work for you then, then I know that the web server has a mis-configuration.
I will ask the web server administrator to correct this....

I am sorry that you had trouble with the Square1 web site.

That did the trick. When I lowered my security settings to the lowest setting it allowed the function to work. Thanks for addressing this issue;)

Thank you for your help, JT.

I will forward this info onto the web server administrator.

He won't be able to get to it, until tonight.

I apologize to everyone that had trouble with the search feature.
IIS and MS have their strange way of doing things.
The web server is not part of my responsibilities, but I do tend to take the flack for it when it is not working.
Again, sorry for the disruption in service.

Square1 is here to serve you in the best possible way.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker