LisaM

is my kitty mad at me?

So I have 2 kitties. They are now 9 and 7 months. Maya (the older one) was a total lap kitty until we got Lucy then she took over the lap usually. Maya would hang with Dad cause he's a good scratcher.

Maya seems to have become different. She meows a bunch (but, she is a Russian Blue so she's gonna do that, right?) but sometimes when I pet her she ducks her head away from my hand and walks away. She seems to be into rubbing her head on my foot and does roll over for belly rubs.

She doesn't play much with us because Lucy is pushy and takes over all the toys. She used to play fetch with me but has stopped doing that (takes the toy elsewhere instead of back to me).

Is she mad at me? I think she misses Dad; he has been traveling a lot. But when he was home last weekend she even ducked away from him too. She also doesn't want to be held but she used to love being held (would sit there happily til your arms fell asleep).

I used to sit on the kitchen floor and put my legs out and they'd both come running and walk all over me. Lucy still does, Maya sometimes flat out igores me.

Anything I can do?

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

No, I haven't. She's eating and drinking and she plays with Lucy (chasing each other and wrestling) so she seems perfectly healthy. She just seems to blatenly walk away from me. I might lie down next to her and she'll get up and walk away.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

~Is she fixed?

Cats personality do change, as they grow from kittenhood to adulthood. She's 9 months, which is about the time that physical changes and personality changes occur.

Russian Blues are a lot like Meezers - they bond strongly with one person, and talk all the time. If that one person isn't there, they will get stand offish and weird.

I'd bring her into the vet to check out her ears - if she doesn't like you touching them, but will rub against your feet, there might be some little issue that is going on. Nothing big, so it's probably not the whole reason, but I'd check it out.

There is always catnip...they have it in a spray bottle now, and when I've got a cat that is behaving unlike themselves, or is having a hard time with hands, I spray some onto my hands and offer my hand to them. That way, they can get the smell, and used to my touching them at the same time. It's funny to see their reaction to the nip, too.

And realize that like with children, cats go through phases. Sometimes they want lots of lovin, sometimes, if you kiss them in "public" they have attitude.

I wouldn't be so worried about if she's mad at you. That would show up differently, and you would not need to ask the question. I'd also say that if the behavior didn't start until recently, she's not mad at the other kitty, and not mad at you; rather, she's very likely missing her Dad.

As another poster said, it will probably pass. Until it does, don't treat her differently, don't really go out of your way to love on her, and let her have her space. I'd also suggest that Dad give over a stinky shirt of his so she can have his scent on her bed; that might ease some of the lonliness she probably is dealing with.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

She is fixed. She was fixed in November. I just am afraid she is going to become and aloof cat. She still follows me everywhere (both cats do all the time), just doesn't seem to want to cuddle.

It did seem to start shortly after Dad was gone for a week. Interesting. But she won't curl up with any of us even him when he came home last weekend. He used to sit down and hit the pillow on his lap and she'd come running for scratches. She won't do that now.

I am so sad to think she misses him. He will be home tomorrow but I'll take a shirt of his out of the laundry the second I get home. Well now, she has access to his laundry bin, wouldn't she seek that out?

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Oh and she talks all the time to me. I just haven't figured out her meows. When Dad was gone for 3 solid weeks she started this really long drawn out meow. She hasn't done that this week and he's been gone. Poor kitty!

But her meows sound funny, but then again I have never owned a cat. They have been short and whiny sounding. I used to pick her up and give her scratches and she'd gco about her way. Now she just wants down.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Oh and she talks all the time to me. I just haven't figured out her meows. When Dad was gone for 3 solid weeks she started this really long drawn out meow. She hasn't done that this week and he's been gone. Poor kitty!

But her meows sound funny, but then again I have never owned a cat. They have been short and whiny sounding. I used to pick her up and give her scratches and she'd gco about her way. Now she just wants down.

Perhaps you should ship her off to a pet psychologist.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

:D:D:D Ummmm..... no!

. . . Because - WE have such better knowledge and expertise?:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

:D:D:D Ummmm..... no!

. . . Because - WE have such better knowledge and expertise?:D

I am giggling at the thought of taking her to a shrirk. She'd be all stressed out about being in the pet carrier that she'd just "talk" about that the whole time. :D

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I'm thinking she's missing Dad...it happens.

Cats can be aloof...that's part of their charm. They aren't dogs, they're cats. And they do their own thing most of the time. She'll be all right, and you will too. Let her work this through, and she'll come back around.

Cats hold grudges. They really do...and it sounds like she's feeling a bit neglected. Not that you are neglecting her; she just feels that way.

As for the laundry bin...it's weird; she may just want his smell, and not anyone else's. The laundry bin holds both yours and his, so perhaps she's just not 'scenting' him alone. She also may not like to be confined, or not want to get into the bin, or whatever. Go ahead and pull one out for her, and put it where she generally sleeps...that will let her know it's all right to snuggle it, and to use it for comfort. Give her his shirt, and then let me know what changes, if anything.

Her meows will be different - just because it sounds "whiney" doesn't mean it is in fact whining. She will vocalize and chat about everything; like meezers, they're great conversationalists. Pity we don't always know what they're saying, you know? LOL.

Try this. Take Dad's shirt, after you've given it to her, and lay it across your lap. Don't let the other cat come onto it - and lift her up. She may resist; if she does, gently place her on the shirt across your lap, and let her get down. Replace the shirt immediately in the snuggle spot. Do this a few times, and she might realize you're full of love for her, too...and find that your lap is a good spot to hang out in.

Let me know how else I can help, or if you need other ideas. And why take her to a shrink, when you've got me hanging around? LOL.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Yeah, I don't need no shrink! I got Michele and ladysdkydiver and LisaH!!! B|

His laundry bin is his (we have separate closets). But I will pull a shirt out and work with her tonight.

To not let the other kitty on, would it be best to shut her out of the room while we have our 1-on-1 session (*grin*) or maybe toss her toy around so she is distracted with that?

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Yeah, I don't need no shrink! I got Michele and ladysdkydiver and LisaH!!! B|

His laundry bin is his (we have separate closets). But I will pull a shirt out and work with her tonight.

To not let the other kitty on, would it be best to shut her out of the room while we have our 1-on-1 session (*grin*) or maybe toss her toy around so she is distracted with that?

NOOOOOO!

Don't do it - Tried and tested to be the WRONG ANSWER!!!!

Don't encourage her! I think she's already got 7 cats in addition to the outside kitties she provides food for. Is that correct Michele, or is my count off?

And Lisa M- I know from experience that cats can and do hold grudges. My cat Gizmo snubbed me for a good 6 months the first time I brought a kitten home after he'd been the only cat in the house for a few months. And he'd snub me if I left for a long weekend or on vacation. He was a super sweet affectionate cat, and eventually he realized he was missing out on the loving and attention when he snubbed me. So, over the years, the snubs became shorter and eventually he gave up and acted happy to see me as soon as I walked in the house after a long weekend.

Years ago, when I split up with my ex bf, I had to leave a shirt behind for his cat to sleep on.

And our calico kitty we have now loves to sleep on her daddy's clothes. She wants affection only on her terms, and she used to only climb up in our laps if we had a nice soft blanket to burrow in. As she gets older, she's becoming much more affectionate but its still only on her terms! (She's about 8 now!)

I used to sit on the kitchen floor and put my legs out and they'd both come running and walk all over me. Lucy still does, Maya sometimes flat out ignores me.

Anything I can do?

Do you have a blender? :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I used to sit on the kitchen floor and put my legs out and they'd both come running and walk all over me. Lucy still does, Maya sometimes flat out ignores me.

Anything I can do?

Weedeater takes longer

Anything I can do?

Weedeater takes longer

Tie the cat to a stake in the yard and chase it down with the riding mower! :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'd also suggest that Dad give over a stinky shirt of his so she can have his scent on her bed; that might ease some of the lonliness she probably is dealing with.

I brought my kitty home when she was about 8 months old. I know, it was a big change from where I took her from, but I didn't want her destroyed when the job was over, so I took her home. There was always someone around the jobsite to pet her or love on her... When she came home for the first time, she cried constantly whenever I left her sight. She was very restless and couldn't stand being held when I was trying to calm her down. I didn't understand what she wanted. So, I just took one of my shirts that I wore that week, put it in her bed, and showed her where I had placed it (in her sight of me). She crawled in to her bed and went to sleep. It was the strangest thing... So, the shirt thing might work for you. ;)

Now, after having her for three months, she keeps my pillow warm at night, but loves to curl up with my dirty laundry when I'm not home. Usually, when I walk in the door, the first thing she does is 'yell' at me for getting home too late (no matter what time it was), and if I don't pick her up and love on her, she will follow me everywhere I go waiting for me to hold her.

If things don't change, you may want to take her to the vet. When cats start to act differently, they may not be feeling well or could have something going on that isn't obvious. At least that is what my vet told me. :P

Good luck!! :)

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Anything I can do?

Weedeater takes longer

Tie the cat to a stake in the yard and chase it down with the riding mower! :D:D:D

Yeah... but they sound like INDOOR cats! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I consider you lucky to have had any cuddle time with your cat. My cat acts like she hate me and my husband and SHE moved in with us.

She will let you rub her head - sometimes - as long as no one else is around to see it. It's as if she likes being mean and hateful and doesn't want anyone to see her be sweet.

She wants my attention between midnight and 6 a.m. and when she is out of tuna. Yes, I spoil her rotten and she still treats me like shit.[:/]

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.