ColdDuck

Relined Katanas

My wife has gone from micro line to HMA on the KA.

The openings are now consistent across the lifespan of the line set as the trim does not change. No more adjusting your break lines every 50 jumps and no more bizzare openings as the canopy gets more and more out of trim.

The canopy seems to have slightly more forward speed.

Jumpers are now going to be required to perform the recommended maintenance. Spectra would just get out of trim. HMA will snap.

I highly recommend it.

edit: Her IM to me with the same question:"The brakes felt different when I released them because the line felt different going through the guide ring. The canopy felt like it dove more and was faster, and the openings felt the same as with a new set of spectra"

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Has anyone had their Katana relined with HMA lines, and what if any were the differences?

Thanks

I have 3 katanas scheduled next week to reline. I've been relining katanas with HMAs lines quite often now and all the customers just loved!
I personally have a 97!!!
Just have your canopy inspected more often!
Cheers,
Gus Marinho

I got a Sabre-120 recently w/ ~500 jumps. It is Spectra and I think original lineset. From my attempt at measurements, it looks like a couple of inches out of trim. I've put around 15 jumps on it. I'm planning on having it relined at next (reserve) repack.

So...what I can expect on an old vs new lineset? I was going to start my own thread for this until I saw this one.

I got a Sabre-120 recently w/ ~500 jumps. It is Spectra and I think original lineset. From my attempt at measurements, it looks like a couple of inches out of trim. I've put around 15 jumps on it. I'm planning on having it relined at next (reserve) repack.

Hi Elisha,
Here is our standards for spectra linetrim:
Up to 2", it "should" be relined".
Over 2", it "must" be relined.
It's a good thing you'll have your canopy relined!!

So...what I can expect on an old vs new lineset? I was going to start my own thread for this until I saw this one.

You'll have a new canopy again!! If you buy a brand new canopy and put about 400 to 500 jumps on it, you'll not feel the difference of performance, flare, openings overtime. It's a very common problem.
Now, if you install a new lineset, your canopy will be back on the original trim it was designed.
Please, make sure the lines come from the manufacturer!!! Get the canopy relined and tell me what you think!!!;)
Gus Marinho

If it really is 2 inches, I'm not sure that you will see all that much change. Your brake lines may have shrunk more than the rest, which might change your opening.

I relined my Stiletto at 900 jumps -- quite a change.

I recently had mine relined with HMA. The difference was dramatic. It's like flying a whole new canopy. I have tio re-learn how to fly the thing. Looks like I have a whole new excuse to ditch work an go jumping! :)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Agree with that one. Had my 107 relined in Feb after ~450 jumps. Openings completely different, slower more predictable. Very snivelly now, with Spectra they weren't particularly so. Much more on heading, before I'd usually have off headings now mostly on heading.

What weight HMA is PD using for the Katana? What type of line is used for the lower brake lines?

Gary

Hi Gary,
Here is the answer using PD numbers:

Katana 120 & above:
Suspension lines 700 HMA - brake lines HMA1000

Katana below 120:
Suspension lines 500 HMA - brake lines HMA1000

I hope this helps!
Cheers,
Gus Marinho

Dima,
That all depends on where it came from and if it is UV coated or not.
Also depends on the carrier and fiber count which we will not get into here.

PD is getting their line material(Technora) from abroad.
I have heard from some Braidworks people in South Africa.
A few of their R&D people are from South Africa, so it would make some sense there.

The line material that we use is coated and we quote 700 jumps for the 340lb. (Comp line) to 1200 jumps with the 700lb stuff.

I do not know the recommendations from PD on their line sets.

Rule of thumb here is, the larger the braid equals a greater number of jumps.

Guessing,( I stress the word "guessing" here!) I would expect at least 500-600 jumps out of them.

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Arround 500 jumps for new lineset from HMA 500 - for me it is GOOD number:)! Mine new HMA lineset will be PD orignal (i hope:)
Becouse some friends (Katana owners and riggers) tolds me that i can do 250-300 jumps (too costly and time consuming) on HMA and than reline it again (thanks to design of Katana)

How many jumps (aprox.) i can do with new line set (HMA 500) on Katana 107 (now has arround 400 jumps and bad fusy original lineset from spectra) ?

Mine wingload is 1.65.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Dima,
To your question about how many jumps before relining it is difficult to say because of the different conditions people jump in and how they are handled and cared for.
The PD HMA lines are lightly coated but there is a big difference between the coating on microline and HMA.

Please, contact Performance Designs and get all the info you need to keep you safe.

My advice:
Preventive maintenance , care and frequent inspections can safe you from a lot of trouble.
I hope this helps you!
Cheers,
Gus Marinho

Thanks to all!

I just ordered new HMA lineset and will send mine KA to rigger for reline in 2 weeks.
All questions that i made - to know from expirience of other jumpers and riggers (not only PD) how long (aprox.) new HMA-lineset will last and aprox. determine resale value.
May be after other 100-200 (now i have 160-170 on KA 107) i will switch to KA 97.

I'm just wondering why they haven't figured that out
in the first place...during all their testing they are advertising on this canopy...

I believe if you go back through the threads you will find that I tried to convince them that Dynema lines were the wrong line material to use on that canopy.

I believe the quote was "right canopy- wrong lines"

Thank goodness they came around on this! It is better for everyone!:)

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

so when PD relines a canopy with HMA lines, is the line configuration the same? meaning, cascaded lines as opposed to continuous line found on Precision and Hiper canopies. Ive had some(more than a few) beers. forgive me please if im talking out the side of my neck!
what!?