LyraM45

The litter box dilema.....

So, this is a friendly little argument I'm having with somebody on where to put a litterbox. For those of you who have cats (or for those of you who don't and still want to answer what they would do if they did) where would you put your litter box in this situation?

This is a townhouse with carpeted and open living/dining area with a tiled kitchen/laundry room on the first floor.

I'm not going to state my preference right now until there are some votes so I don't influence anything, but I'm interested to see what other people do or would do in this situation if they had cats.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I love that first option...yeah, I want the fur-ball taking a shit where I watch TV...:S

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

i am not a cat fan so the though of any of that stuff drives me nuts -no offense

however i had lived in an apt with two cats - and the cats were just ridiculous - we had two litter boxes in the owners room while he was gone - and one in the laundry room -

the problem isnt really where you put the boxes, but how much you maintain and clean them - as long as you're on top of the situation it shouldnt matter - its kind of gross to be sitting in a room with a litter box - and its also kind of gross to be cooking near that stuff - but it i had a choice i'd pick the tile floor - its easier to clean in case they miss -

also - get boxes with a top - so you dont have to look at it all the time

just my humble opinion - sorry if i offended any cat lovers out there - they are cute and all just not for me
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

I think it is easier to vac carpet, then to sweep the tile. I would put a decent sized carpet remenant under the box if it is going to be in the tile location, it keeps the kitty litter from being scattered every where.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Out in the laundry next to the human toilet, but only until oue visitor leaves and ake her indoor cat with her, my cats go outside.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Laundry room, tiled floor. I'd erect some sort of "privacy screen" too. Cats, like people, need privacy to potty.

Use a combination of clay, crystal, and baking soda (put in first). Scoop daily, if needed (I can get away with two days [2 big boxes, lots of cats], but that's about it...), and make sure that you put something under the boxes, ie the carpet remnant suggested or, better yet, one of those plastic door mats. The plastic is better - outside, hose it down, air dry, and it's back in use.

Bear in mind that microbes that are in kitty litter don't travel too far; they're generally "oral fecal" route, so as long as you don't snack on kitty logs, and wear gloves when changing the litter, you should be good to go.

If there's anything else I can help you with, lemme know. I'm always happy to help with felines.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Bear in mind that microbes that are in kitty litter don't travel too far; they're generally "oral fecal" route, so as long as you don't snack on kitty logs...

Those weren't tootsie rolls that she stole out of the candy dish?:o:D
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

I'm actually more interested in the new living arangements.....;)

I personally cannot tolerate cats anywhere near my food..dogs either actually. Cats are just plain dirty animals..specially when they bite and infect the bitee. [:/]
I do like cats....they're just dirty!;)

Cats are just plain dirty animals..specially when they bite and infect the bitee.

I've been bit and bit badly by the cat who currently is sitting right next to me. Had to get the infection pocket drained, went on Cipro, et cetera.

However, that being said....Why is your cat biting you? Is it a biter or you just got your body in the way of a pissed off cat (like I did)?

Cats are no more or less dirty than a dog. Same general microbe count, same grooming habits, same general susceptability.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Cats are just plain dirty animals..specially when they bite and infect the bitee.

I've been bit and bit badly by the cat who currently is sitting right next to me. Had to get the infection pocket drained, went on Cipro, et cetera.

However, that being said....Why is your cat biting you? Is it a biter or you just got your body in the way of a pissed off cat (like I did)?

Cats are no more or less dirty than a dog. Same general microbe count, same grooming habits, same general susceptability.

Ciels-
Michele

Neko my Snowshoe "Feline Daughter" farts more than my parent's Boxer dog that drinks any beer left unattended... I've taken to farting back at her.:|:D
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

I'm actually more interested in the new living arangements.....

You'll just have to come see them for yourself!! :P I want to have everybody over one night once we're all settled-- go out and have a few drinks or something downtown.

----------

Anywho... my personal take on this is to have it some place tiled. I've never heard of or seen anybody want to put a cat box on carpet let alone in a small living room where we'll be spending time watching TV and entertaining guests. Carpet is easy to vac, yes, but in a situation like the other day when I walked in and there was a fresh, huge, not so solid, cat turd all over the side of the box and onto the carpet.... eh, yea. I can imagine they peed out on the rug too then, and that stuff kinda works its way into the rug no matter how you slice it. If we don't scrub or steamclean and just simple vaccume in that case, we eventually get used to the smell that has worked its way into the carpet, but when people come over who are not in our home everyday, they'll notice-- trust me.

My plan was to have it in the corner of the laundry room on the tile using one of those plastic or synthetic door mats so I can take it outside for easy cleaning and it catches cat littler that flew out of the box. If there is an accident on the tile, easily cleaned with a paper towel and some cleaning stuff. Plus, it's on the furthest side of the kitchen in a corner (the laundry area) away from where I'll be cooking and away from our couch where people (and us!) will sit and smell it.

My mother always had it in our bathroom, like some people have suggested. But, our bathroom is upstairs and I think it's just easier in this case to keep everything on the bottom floor.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

First, I bought one of these:

Cat Genie Self-Washing Catbox

Second, I bought one of these:

Ikea Storage Cabinet

Followed by one of these:

Cat Hole

I used a saw to cut a hole in the side of the cabinet and installed the cat hole. Then, I cut a hole in the back of the cabinet to run the plumbing lines out. Finally, I put the cat genie inside the cabinet, and put a step next to the side so the cats could get in. If it wasn't for the step, you'd have no idea there was a catbox in there (cat genie doesn't smell, at all!), and I've got extra counter space on top of the cabinet.

holy freaking wow!!!
that's a neat albeit expensive solution!
:)and to the other poster that asked...I've never been bitten by a cat although I have seen vets turn down caring for an injured animal such as a bird or squrrel when they were told the animal was bitten by a cat...said the saliva was so poisonous to most animals that the injured ones were going to die anyway.

I have two litter boxes for my one cat. One is hidden behind a recliner in the living room, the other one is in the utility room with a bathrug underneath it. Ladybug usually always chooses the one behind the recliner for some reason, and rarely uses the one in the utility room. My vet said suggested to have two boxes for one cat (cats need choices too?), but if I took the other one away, I don't think she'd notice much. :S

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

My cousins had the best solution. They too, lived in a townhouse and the garage was attached between the homes (so. cali). they had a cage in the garage that had the litter box in it. there was a hole in the wall behind the tv. the cats went behind the tv, climbed through the hole, and pooped in the box in the cage. the cage opened from the garage side for easy cleaning.

Like EVERYONE that voted has said ... in the laundry room. And since it's a common area with the kitchen, create a barrier so they have some privacy. And clean it EVERY day. They'll appreciate it and you won't resent them ...

:)
My litter boxes are in my laundry room too. It's in the basement so it's not a big issue. But I do try and clean them every day. But summer is coming so I expect the cleaning will not be a major issue - they're outdoor cats too!

:D:D

'Shell