Chris-Ottawa

VISO is here???

Like I'm interested in the canopy speeds that the VISO records which afaik, the Neptune does not. (Recommendation?)

The Neptune will show descent rate under canopy, but I'm not sure if it's possible to review the data afterwards (I haven't played with Paralog yet, so this may be possible).

Edit: Looks like you can, as mentioned in the last post. :)

Oh so it does record it all, just doesn't display it on the unit? That's much more what I was looking for!

Chalk 1 for Alti2

One more question:

Does the Neptune allow the capability to edit the FF time and jump #'s for when you buy the unit? And does it require paralog to do so?
"When once you have tasted flight..."

You can set the beginning number for both the ff time and the jump numbers. You can also delete a jump from the Neptune I think? That would be handy if you lent it to a friend and you wanted to keep the jump numbers accurate. I am pretty certain you can do this I just haven't had the need to do so.

Does the Neptune allow the capability to edit the FF time and jump #'s for when you buy the unit? And does it require paralog to do so?

Yep.

I think Lara was trying to be brief because this is (was?) a thread about the Viso, not the neptune, but she didn't mention the neptune mega-update that's coming out soon (next update?). I think she said there are something like 60 software changes including some very cool new features. I only know what a couple of them are, but I'm looking forward to it.

Actually I need to buy a neptune... another jumper borrowed mine for a day after his protrack died. He liked it so much he decided to buy it from me, even though it wasn't for sale.

Dave

That's ok Pilotdave I make for Lara's reluctance to intrude on this Viso thread.;)

Not that I have anything against the Viso, I was planning on buying one instead of the Optima that I bought. I just got impatient and decided to just use my Neptune as a visual altimeter and the Optima for a audible.

I actually think this thread reaffirmed my original choice of the neptune from way back when the VISO was still just a webpage.

Any hints on the updates coming out Dave?

Edit: You don't have to disclose anything, I'm just always curious.

And yes, this thread was and still is about the VISO, and I would love more experiences from people who have them. I'm glad it got sidetracked as now I'm probably going to buy a Neptune!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

The guide tones is a really annoying feature of the Optima. I disabled it on mine.

Really? I find it damn useful.

You don't have to go very fast for it to flat line.

Huh? The canopy alert will flat-line at the third altitude set, to let you know you're at whatever altitude you specified. That's how it's supposed to work.

are you sure we are talking about the same thing? I make use of the canopy alarms where it beeps at set altitudes like 1000' 600' 300' but I don't make use of the guide tones where it beeps faster and faster depending on how fast you are moving under canopy.

are you sure we are talking about the same thing? I make use of the canopy alarms where it beeps at set altitudes like 1000' 600' 300' but I don't make use of the guide tones where it beeps faster and faster depending on how fast you are moving under canopy.

Ah, getcha. I use both and find them useful, but maybe you're flying your base leg significantly faster than I am?

That's ok Pilotdave I make for Lara's reluctance to intrude on this Viso thread.;)

Not that I have anything against the Viso, I was planning on buying one instead of the Optima that I bought. I just got impatient and decided to just use my Neptune as a visual altimeter and the Optima for a audible.

That's the combo I'm using too, and I like it alot. The only thing I dont like about the optima is setting the tone. Without the wind noise, it's so loud, it makes my ears sad.

I just got impatient and decided to just use my Neptune as a visual altimeter and the Optima for a audible.

same here ;)
..and even more - I went as far as testing how the customer support works for both Neptune and Optima. First my Neptune went crazy and had to be sent back to alti-2 and couple of weeks later my Optima started failing - so it is on the way to l&b as well [:/]
The response from both was fast, can't complain about anything yet. ..besides that I'm back in the "analogue mode" while waiting :|

I've got a Viso and and Optima and the combination is awesome! Both products have worked flawlessly since I've had them. I use a sewn in pocket in my jumpsuit forearm for the Viso, which works well and I never have to worry about "forgetting it"

I didn't have any problem with the interface and found it easy to set up.

I think the fact that you can get a dedicated audible w/ swoop alarms and a dedicated visual for "not to much more" than an Neptune alone make the L&B products well worth it.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

I think the fact that you can get a dedicated audible w/ swoop alarms and a dedicated visual for "not to much more" than an Neptune alone make the L&B products well worth it.

There is a cheaper version of the Neptune (Wave?) that is just an audible as well. Don't know how much less it costs though. :P

The beeps (on the Optima)have nothing to do with how fast you're doing under canopy (not directly) as "Beowulf" stated, but rather how quickly you are aproaching your set altitude. I can easily get into brakes if I need to cover some ground if I'm short on where I want to initiate my swoop, and the beebs slow down. Keep in mind that this function was designed for "swoopers"
Frankly, I think the Optima and the Viso are the best combination.

it beeps faster and faster depending on how closer you are on your third altitude.
I jump a velo 90 and I never had any problem with the guiding mode.
By whatever you like, a neptune or a viso/optima ..., you will always be a (un)happy customer :P

Just send my neptune back to the states for the second time :(

Jurgen