floridadiver81

Skydive depression

So i find myself, lately, not feeling 100%. There are days when i just want to mope around the house. I just don't feel the enthusiasm and motivation anymore. I'm contributing it to the fact that i haven't jumped in 37 days. When i started AFF..i was sooo happy. I found it easier to get up for work...work was more enjoyable..hell..life was more enjoyable...and now that i haven't jumped in over a month...i feel like i'm just wasting time otherwise. Has anyone else experience something similar to the things i describe? I'm sure ill be fine when i jump again....but for now....it blows!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

Thats the reason i havent been able to jump. Bills being larger than i had anticipated. They are being taken care of.....at the sacrifice of me continuing AFF.
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie

Thats the reason i havent been able to jump. Bills being larger than i had anticipated. They are being taken care of.....at the sacrifice of me continuing AFF.

I'd sooner get my lifestyle paid for before spending $$ I don't have. It's ultimately your call, but get the bills taken care of first. They'll get worse if you don't pay them.

Compound interest is a motherfucker whose bitch you don't want to be.

But it's your call. All actions have consequences, good as well as bad...
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

So i find myself, lately, not feeling 100%. There are days when i just want to mope around the house. I just don't feel the enthusiasm and motivation anymore. I'm contributing it to the fact that i haven't jumped in 37 days. When i started AFF..i was sooo happy. I found it easier to get up for work...work was more enjoyable..hell..life was more enjoyable...and now that i haven't jumped in over a month...i feel like i'm just wasting time otherwise. Has anyone else experience something similar to the things i describe? I'm sure ill be fine when i jump again....but for now....it blows!

You're looking to skydiving to act as an antidepressant. That's not healthy. You might want to consider counseling or therapy. At the very least, stop expecting jumping out of airplanes to make your life whole.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I've got to agree with the Ex-air force officer here... I understand the infatuation with the sky (you are a young jumper) but it will always be there and it certainly isn't the end all... be all of things that can make you happy (or shouldn't be...)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I kind of disagree with the other responders. I think it's perfectly reasonable to consider skydiving as an anti-depressant. It's chemical effects, though temporary, are difficult to deny. More importantly, when the planet is rushing up at you at 120 mph, you kind of get a different perspective on the bitching out your girlfriend gave you last night, or the extra hours your boss wants you to work, or minutes you went over on your cell phone plan. Viewing those problems from such a perspective has lasting effects, i.e. once you see how trivial they are compared to the problems you could be facing, you get to hang on to that comparison. Skydiving definitely won't fix those problems, but I see nothing wrong with using it to get a better view of them.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I kind of disagree with the other responders. I think it's perfectly reasonable to consider skydiving as an anti-depressant. It's chemical effects, though temporary, are difficult to deny. More importantly, when the planet is rushing up at you at 120 mph, you kind of get a different perspective on the bitching out your girlfriend gave you last night, or the extra hours your boss wants you to work, or minutes you went over on your cell phone plan. Viewing those problems from such a perspective has lasting effects, i.e. once you see how trivial they are compared to the problems you could be facing, you get to hang on to that comparison. Skydiving definitely won't fix those problems, but I see nothing wrong with using it to get a better view of them.

Blues,
Dave

Much like a different perspective after I snort a line.

I agree with you. Skydiving is my way of making sure i know why im alive on this planet. Its a break and a release from everyday life....and if anyone disagrees with that then so be it..im sure alot of skydivers feel the same way. The whole point of this thread is stating that once started..skydiving....at least for me..must continue or else there is that gap in my life that cant really be filled by anything else...being the kind of activity it is.

The whole point of this thread is stating that once started..skydiving....at least for me..must continue or else there is that gap in my life that cant really be filled by anything else...

Said the man with four jumps.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I do agree on some points there.

I spent nearly a year in combat and since I have been away from the Marine Corps life has just seemed dull; All the activities that I used to enjoy have since been boring. I am obviously new in the sport but skydiving sure fills that void for me. It is a different type of excitement but skydiving is the one thing that I have found that actually compares to that rush!

~Z
Main Entry: 1hav•oc
Pronunciation: 'ha-v&k, -vik
Function: noun
1 : wide and general destruction; DEVASTATION; great confusion and disorder

The whole point of this thread is stating that once started..skydiving....at least for me..must continue or else there is that gap in my life that cant really be filled by anything else...

Said the man who thinks skysurfing should remain a National event with nothing but the aerial equivalent of a pity fuck for competition.

Dude, why in the world would you want to criticize and diminish a newbie's excitement about the sport? :S

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I think it's perfectly reasonable to consider skydiving as an anti-depressant.

I used to say it was like hitting CTRL-ALT-DELETE on a computer. It rebooted me from life's little quirks. Those life challenges seemed like major hurtles until breathing that fresh air of altitude and coming down refreshed.

Come to think of it, over 2,500 jumps later I -still- feel like this. :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Said the man who thinks skysurfing should remain a National event with nothing but the aerial equivalent of a pity fuck for competition.

Dude, why in the world would you want to criticize and diminish a newbie's excitement about the sport? :S

Blues,
Dave

Said the man who (insert condescending remark as irrelevant to this conversation as my 2005 campaign to prevent the removal of skysurfing from Nationals).

The "newbie" in question has made all of four skydives, and now he's posting about how he's lost his enthusiasm for life because he's gone thirty days without a jump. He needs to try, very slowly and carefully, to ease back into the real world.

And you need to learn the difference between being enthusiastic and being delusional.

I used to say it was like hitting CTRL-ALT-DELETE on a computer. It rebooted me from life's little quirks. Those life challenges seemed like major hurtles until breathing that fresh air of altitude and coming down refreshed.

ltdiver

A hobby, regular escape, or whatever you want to call it isn't the same as an anti-depressant. If skydiving helps you take your mind off your day-to-day grind, that's great. That's a very healthy approach to jumping out of airplanes, when used in moderation.

If, on the other hand, not skydiving for thirty days leads you to lose your enthusiasm for life and perceive some sort of unfillable "gap" in your universe, you've just crossed the city limits into Crazy Town.

There are always going to be people that always see the negative things. I tend to avoid them and just pay attention to the people that positively post. I havent lost my enthusiasm for the sport..or life..i was just expressing my love for the sport..and not being able to do it as much as i wanted to sucks.

ltdiver

A hobby, regular escape, or whatever you want to call it isn't the same as an anti-depressant. If skydiving helps you take your mind off your day-to-day grind, that's great. That's a very healthy approach to jumping out of airplanes, when used in moderation.

If, on the other hand, not skydiving for thirty days leads you to lose your enthusiasm for life and perceive some sort of unfillable "gap" in your universe, you've just crossed the city limits into Crazy Town.

I don't think that is necessarily true. I think sometimes experienced jumpers forget what it felt like when you just start out.

It's kind of like when you fall hard in love with someone (skydiving). For a while when it is new you want to be with that person every second (at the dropzone) and feel lost ("why am I at work when it is sunny outside?") when you are apart. After a while, of course as you get used to that person ( the sensation of freefall and flying your own canopy) you are able to "go your own ways" (concentrate on the mundane, daily grind) more and more.

See, now I need a jump!

It's the same butterflies and adrenaline...why should you feel any different about jumping?

For me, those feelings are the same ones I felt when I had four jumps...and the "loss" I felt when I had to go that long in between.

Nothing wrong with that, I think.
:)

That may just be me.:) Although I jump weekends only, the last time I went 30 days without a skydive was feb/mar 1987. At no point since then have I lost my enthusiasm for life.. but if I went 30 days.. it may just happen.

Of course, back in 1987 the reason I went over 30 days (47 actually) without a skydive was because I broke my femur. It made me very, very sad. I'm happier now.

Edited to add dives per year spreadsheet.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I know the feeling! I've only gone over 30 days once.. and that was recovering from knee surgery this past fall. It sucked. I started to feel like an imposter of my former self.:P

But now that I'm back to jumping (atleast I will be when the weather clears) it is all good again.

I don't think you're on the way to crazy town. You just love the sport and just about everyone who skydives remembers/ or is that passionate about the sport too.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

To expand on another poster's analogy of skydiving being like being in a relationship, I see a lot of jumpers saying, "I love you," on the third date.

Honestly, if skydiving was actually a person you were dating, a lot of you would be getting the "You're creeping me out" talk.

Honestly, if skydiving was actually a person you were dating, a lot of you would be getting the "You're creeping me out" talk.

Well then you should be getting the "You're a huge buzz-kill-quit-trying-to-bum-me-out talk."

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Well then you should be getting the "You're a huge buzz-kill-quit-trying-to-bum-me-out talk."

Exactly what other were trying to point out. You put it pretty plainly!

and Honestly... If your GF does not feel for you the way floridadiver81 feels about skydiving, I feel very sorry for you... really.

a lot of you would be getting the "You're creeping me out" talk.

Know MANY happy couples that call each other at least once a day when apart because they miss each other soooo much. Keeping up with the analogy... I do watch a vid or two on youtube at night before going to sleep, or read a couple of threads in here... thats MY way of giving the "I miss you" call during the week before going to sleep ;)

Be safe

I feel your pain...

I only got in maybe 5-10 jumps in all of last year... I'd check the logbook, but it just makes me sad. On the bright side, this year, I've already done more than in all of last year. Don't worry, you'll get back up. Take care of the bills so you don't stress more on 'em later. I actually went just over 6 months (early June to mid-December) last year doing nothing more than looking up, since I didn't have the $$$ to jump.:( If you wanna come out to Cali though, I'll buy you a jump... you buy the beer though:P (probably cheaper if you just buy your own jumps:D)

Be patient... you'll get back up there:)
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.