IanHarrop

looking for two pictures

I am continually updating the first jump course presentation I use and I am looking for pictures I can put into the presentation before I have students practice flaring for landing.

Ideally I would like two shots:
- Student getting close to ground with hands all the way up (ideally with head not looking at the ground and knees and feet relatively together)
- Same student flaring with both hands to their crotch just before their feet hit the ground.

If you've got pics I can use it will be much appreciated. We have lots of great student landings but we never seem to catch exactly the sequence I want and its getting late in the season here... I don't want any snow on the ground in the shots!

Thanks, Ian Harrop
[email protected]
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Thanks!

A student flaring with their hands to the crotch is the one I want the most.

Students with a half assed flare or hands out to the sides always make me shake my head when I am on radio.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Thanks!

A student... with their hands to the crotch is the one I want the most.

Ha, I'm ashamed for you. But intrigued. Waiting for the pic...
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

If you're teaching the FJC, you're on a DZ. and there's two things on every DZ - skydivers and cameras.

Have an experienced jumper suit up in a student jumpsuit and helmet, and do a hop n pop with a student rig.

Have a predetermined landing spot, and set the camera up there. Tell the jumper to assume the landigng position high on final, and take as many pics as you want.

Tell them to flare to their crotch, and have them do it a few feet high. You should be able to get a least 4 or 5 shots before touchdown.

I reccomend fitting the entire canopy and jumper in the pics. Also, make sure you do this at a time of day where the direction of langing will have the sun at the camera persons back.

Now you have exactly what you want, featuring the equipment the students will actually be using.

Students with a half assed flare or hands out to the sides always make me shake my head when I am on radio.

I did some searching through pics I've posted on my website, and I honestly didn't find a single proper student landing. I was sure I had some, but if they flared to their crotch, their feet were apart. If their feet were together, they're legs were bent for a butt landing. If their legs were ok, they're arms were to their sides. Couldn't believe I couldn't find even one good one.

Let me know if you want the one above higher res/non-watermarked. BTW, it ended with a perfectly executed and complely incorrect butt slide. :)
Dave

- Student getting close to ground with hands all the way up (ideally with head not looking at the ground and knees and feet relatively together)

Forget those others - this is the shot you want.

Tried like hell, but the damn thing wouldn't flare.

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

You got to build up speed with front risers first!!! Interesting gores:)Poor bastard had to jump a round in 84, my first was Dec 84 with a static line square... Thank god!!! LOL

Use the "Fly to Survive" video from USPA.

Call Jim Crouch. He'll help you.

I've found nothing better for showing exactly what you are looking for.

The best part is you can show the full landing and then pause it at exactly the spot you want for emphasis.

You can also slow motion it back and forth. It's much better than a single still.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

It's funny as I look through my photos I realize

a) how infrequently I shoot student landings and
b) how infrequently I shoot all the way to until finish / feet on the ground

Here's a sequence that's not quite perfect, but is not bad...

How hard is it, to dress yourself up like a student (or don't - who cares?) get a student canopy, get a cameraman on the ground waiting for you, go up do a hop-n-pop (or ANY jump - again, who cares?) AND TAKE THE STILL AS HOWEVER YOU WANT THEM, AND LAND EXACTLY LIKE YOU WOULD LIKE PORTRAYED? :S

Or maybe you just can't even land yourself yet, the way you would like to teach / portray? :P

As the commercial says - "just do it". Done.

Simple. :)

Good luck.

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

TAKE THE STILL AS HOWEVER YOU WANT THEM, AND LAND EXACTLY LIKE YOU WOULD LIKE PORTRAYED? :S

Yeah, but who the hell wants to land like that, though?

EXACTLY LIKE YOU WOULD LIKE PORTRAYED? :S

As he said in his first post "no snow" feel free to read it again. (and yep it snows where he's from)

Or maybe you just can't even land yourself yet, the way you would like to teach / portray? :P

I also don't think you realise who Ian Harrop is or what he has done for this sport. :o The man is asking his jumping community for help cause he needs a few pics for his FJC and you flame him?

Man I love this place!:)

I also don't think you realise who Ian Harrop is or what he has done for this sport.

Sure I do. You don't recognize tongue-in-cheek clearly, when you see it? Or maybe somehow you just missed that big yellow winky-face with the tongue sticking out of it, that is intended to portray that even more graphically for you?

Sheesh man. Chill. If anyone took that SERIOUSLY, then heck, I seriously apologize. How's that?

Friggin uptight space this seems to be getting lately. [:/]
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Man, I'm not surprised. There are huge holes in that canopy! How come you didn't you go to your reserve? :P

Couldn't find the damn cutaway pillow.

Friggin uptight space this seems to be getting lately. [:/]

I agree! People seem to get hammered for asking or answering questions in this place. Mr Harrop has somewhat of a bum leg that has hampered his jumping for the time being. Your post looked as though you were taking a "jab" at him. I appologise for interpreting it as such:$

"How are you today mr Harrop?"

"oh...you know, fat an happy , fat an happy!"

also don't think you realise who Ian Harrop is or what he has done for this sport. The man is asking his jumping community for help cause he needs a few pics for his FJC and you flame him?

Man I love this place!

Most of us know who Ian is but no one has a clue who you are.

Personal Profile
Name:
Email: No email entered.
City:

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals