The111

Can any geeks solve a home networking dilemma?

I have an old Netgear router, the "RT314". When I need to log into it for port forwarding, I go to http://192.168.0.1 with my browser. Right now one of the two PC's on my network will not do that. It comes up as an invalid webpage. Both PC's are using XP and IE7.0, and on the one that doesn't work I just get the generic IE "webpage cannot be found" error. It worked for a long time before now, and I've never seen this before... any ideas what has changed? The computer in question does still have access to the internet and the network.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Find the little reset button, power off your computers, unplug the router, press and hold the reset button AND plug in the router.

That "should" reset factory defaults. Power on your computers, then just go in and reset all of your settings. Don't forget to change your password.

I assume you've tried https. It is also possible there is a firewall issue on the system that you are having problems with. Try to disable 3rd party firewalls (if XP / vista, windows firewall also).

Where and what is hosts file?

I have ports 1234, 4321, and 2538 reserved for P2P apps which require them. But I don't know if that's what you mean by "connected". I also scan with AVG daily so would hope no spyware slipped through. Guess I haven't run AdAware in a while though... will try that.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Have you unplugged/replugged the router?

I've never seen spyware hijack the hosts file.... but phree does work for an internet security company (shudder)
c:\windows\system32/drivers/etc
or c:\winnnt\system32/drivers/etc

Is it sad I know that from memory? Now who can tell me about the lmhosts file? :D

it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Yeah, what they said. I have not seen it to be a HOSTS file problem myself (But my hosts file gets rid of google ads for me).

There is a small chance a newly installed program is causing the problem. It could also be a BHO (Browser Helper Object) There is a way to start IE7 without BHO's but I'm on a work system with IE6 right now.

Well shit, your mention of "BHO's" made me think to try it in Firefox (which I thought for sure I had done before). And lo and behold, it WORKS in Firefox. So have we narrowed it down to IE somehow? I also tried it in IE6 (I have a hacked standalone version I use for web design) and it doesn't work there either... so it seems to be IE in general.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

All security settings at default in IE. Even with Windows firewall off, still can't access router from IE. But I can, of course from Firefox. So the problem is now academic, since I have a way of getting into the router. But it still pisses me off.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Still don't know how to check my hosts file (although I now have the path to it) nor do I know how to check proxy settings (or what they are).

I ran spyware checkers and am ok.

I also ran Hijackthis, but I have no idea how to interpret these logs. There are several BHO's but they sound ok (see below).

I also successfully used IE7.0 on my alternate O/S (Vista) to log into the router. So it is something specific to IE and my XP installation.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)
Scan saved at 11:50:02 PM, on 6/5/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PowerDVD 7\PDVDServ.exe
C:\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KHAL\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\EVEREST Ultimate Edition\everest.bin
C:\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Dassault Systemes\B16\intel_a\code\bin\CATSysDemon.exe
C:\PTC\Pro ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0 M150\flexlm\i486_nt\obj\lmgrd.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
C:\PTC\Pro ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0 M150\flexlm\i486_nt\obj\ptc_d.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ircomm2k.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Winamp\Winamp.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Matt Hoover\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.0.301.5672\swg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDVDPatch] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] C:\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSDrvCheck.exe -CheckReg
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\PowerDVD 7\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LanguageShortcut] "C:\PowerDVD 7\Language\Language.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OSSelectorReinstall] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Acronis Disk Director\oss_reinstall.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Startup: EVEREST Ultimate Edition.lnk = C:\EVEREST Ultimate Edition\everest.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\MICROS~1\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1171698629328
O16 - DPF: {70BA88C8-DAE8-4CE9-92BB-979C4A75F53B} (GSDACtl Class) - http://launch.gamespyarcade.com/software/launch/alaunch.cab
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Backbone Service (BBDemon) - Dassault Systemes - C:\Dassault Systemes\B16\intel_a\code\bin\CATSysDemon.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXlm server for PTC - Macrovision Corporation - C:\PTC\Pro ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0 M150\flexlm\i486_nt\obj\lmgrd.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Virtual IR COM Port, Service Program (IrCOMM2kSvc) - Jan Kiszka - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ircomm2k.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrB - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe

--
End of file - 7948 bytes
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Something to try, don't know if it will help or not, but won't hurt anything:

Start > Run, type cmd, press enter

type ipconfig/flushdns, press enter

type ipconfig/registerdns, press enter

type ipconfig/renew all, press enter
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

To check your hosts file, open notepad, goto open file and paste this in "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" hit enter (the file is "hosts" and it does not have an extenstion, but for all intensive purposes, it is a texst file).

At this point, you may or may not see anything. You may see an entry like this:

# [Misc A - Z]
127.0.0.1 a8.net

Anything started with # is a note, it is ignored. Now if someone tries to access the domain a8.net then it will automatically be forwarded to the IP 127.0.0.1, where it will get nothing and it will fail to load. Savy geeks have started compiling huge lists of known shit domains and use this trick to block access to them. Sometimes good domains can be added to this list. Also some malicious software may edit or rewrite this list and force page redirects, i.e. you goto www.google.com and end up on www.hotskydiveronmuleaction.com I would open a second text file, save it on your desktop, CUT everything out of your hosts file, save it on the back up, save/close the hosts file and restart. Now if this fixes the problem, well you have another problem (virus/trojan/etc) that edited your hosts file. But more than likely that is not the case (restore, or dont, if you dont know what host files are, and you have them then i would advise *NOT* restoring it). I personally would suspect it is your computer/browser causing the issue.

As far as the hijack this log, you need to post it on any one of several forums where some ubergeeks will gladly flash there geekness and analyze it for you.

Also if you are on a laptop, generally you should connect directly to the router via cat5, it isnt a huge deal (unless its the problem), but generally speaking, its safer and more reliable.

Also, not knowing your router specifically, but more than likely there is a simple way to do a hard reset on the unit that will flush everything and from there you can reprogram the router. Many routers have means to edit the IP address used to access it and resetting the router will reset this to the default IP, the tech manual will answer that...

Derek

P.S. I love you matt

Derek, I love you too.

There is no file called hosts without an extension. There is hosts.ics, and there is nothing inside of it except comments.

Also, not knowing your router specifically, but more than likely there is a simple way to do a hard reset on the unit that will flush everything and from there you can reprogram the router.

I can guarantee you the problem is not in the router. As I've said, I can get into the router using Firefox, OR using IE on my Vista partition... but not IE on the XP install on this machine. So it's something to do with IE specifically.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

open your explorer, go tools/internet options/advanced and search for the entry http. tick all of it.

i've had the same problem, and as far as i can remember, that did the trick..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Do you have a 'reset web settings' under tools menu in IE?
If not
Tools | Internet Options | Connections tab | LAN settings button - there shouldn't be anything there.
You can get to other websites, right? Just not the router config?
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality