JENNR8R

Is It Time for a Newer Car?

My usual tradition is to make a car payment to myself every month. That way, I earn interest on the money instead of paying interest. When my car reaches 100,000 miles, I get a newer (never new) one and pay cash.

I love my current car so much that I just took it in for it's 125,000 mile checkup. It's been very dependable and has rarely needed any major repairs. Today the mechanic found that I will need a $500 repair before it will pass inspection by the end of July.

I put about 22,000 miles on a vehicle per year. I frequently drive to remote dropzones alone so I want to know that my car won't leave me stranded.

It's worth about $3,000 as a trade-in. I'll probably just donate it to charity and take the tax deduction because it's easier. I have the cash for a newer one, but I really love this car.

Should I replace it now?
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

What kind of car. And unless you have many other deductions donating it usually doesn't do anything for you. you could probibly sell it for more than you would get trading it in. Also I am sure that there is some poor skydiver who might need a vehicle maybe you two could come to a favorable agreement
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

IRS has clamped down on charity vehicle donations so check the latest regs. If you donate, do it to help the charity and not to cut your taxes.

I've driven all of mine untill the engine goes out big time (#1), transmission begins to crumble (#2), some variation of both (#3), or until the wheels fall off (hasn't happened yet, but I know a few who have lost a wheel in transit).

Advice from men....they have no idea sometimes! Driving to remote drop zones alone-you need a reliable vehicle. Don't wait for the problems to occur before you replace because you've no idea when and where they may occur.

Go for a newer car...you deserve it!!!

I suppose it depends on what kind of car it is. My truck is worth about $10,000 as a trade with 125,000 miles on it and has never needed *any* repair except for the time I slid it into a jersey barrier on black ice (not counting tires, brakes, belts, bulbs & fluids). Gotta love the residual value of a Toyota, even if you do have to pay for some of it up front. B|

I gotta say though, I do like the basic concept of a woman starting to shop for something new at around 100,000 miles, especially if it's not known for a high mileage lifespan, and/or she's doing it smart, the way you are (earning vs. paying interest).

Blues,
Dave

"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Advice from men....they have no idea sometimes! Driving to remote drop zones alone-you need a reliable vehicle. Don't wait for the problems to occur before you replace because you've no idea when and where they may occur.

Go for a newer car...you deserve it!!!

Those of us with daughters, mothers, and significant others don't actually want them stranded in remote places. :P:D I wouldn't worry so much about a son or my dad, but I wouldn't want any of those estrogen bearing types driving something undependable when the money was sitting in savings specifically for the purpose of avoiding that! ;)

Edit to add: Extra credit for the 14 muscles I pulled getting this foot into my mouth? :D

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

What is the car? What is wrong with it?

I don't understand you saying that donating it to charity is easier than trading it in. There is almost nothing easier than trading in a car, dealers make that especially easy because they get a good deal. If money really is so plentiful for you, then you definitely should get a new car, no need to wonder anymore.

It is my theory that the new car smell is physically addictive. If you are exposed for long enough, you'll get a new car every couple years and justify the expense. If you don't get hooked, you'll buy the perfectly good cars discarded by the addicts. If the mfgs ever accidentally get rid of whatever causes the addiction, the auto industry will go all to hell. :D

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

What is wrong with it?

It needs to have the inner tie rod ends replaced and a front-end alignment... $500. Part of my reluctance in getting rid of it is the absence of some good old-fashioned features in the newer models, like a cassette player.

I don't understand you saying that donating it to charity is easier than trading it in. There is almost nothing easier than trading in a car, dealers make that especially easy because they get a good deal.

I bought my last car on e-Bay. I saved $8,000 and 10,000 in miles over an identical car at a local dealer. E-bay doesn't take trade-ins. I could have Carmax buy it from me, but I probably wouldn't get the trade-in value. I like the idea of giving it to charity.

***If money really is so plentiful for you, then you definitely should get a new car, no need to wonder anymore.

Just because I'm a skillful planner, doesn't mean I would ever throw money away on a new car. They depreciate too quickly. I can get a car with less than 20,000 miles and save thousands of dollars. That's the whole point in paying cash. I'm saving money by doing that.

It is my theory that the new car smell is physically addictive.

I'm not real enthusiastic about becoming an addict. I'm already an adrenaline junkie. :D
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

$500 for inner tie rods and an alignment? Wow, that is really way too much. You should also get new ball joints for that much, are you sure that is all that is wrong?

A cassette player is a 'newer' feature? Does yours have an 8-track?:D You can get a new audio system installed, don't you know...:P

I meant to say you should get a 'newer' instead of 'new' car if you have the money to burn. I realize that you understand the benefit of getting a lightly used vehicle, even if you aren't going to use money as firewood. :D

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

You still haven't said the make, model and year of the car, but my car has been more reliable after turning over 100k than before. In fact, out biggest "headache" car has just 70k on it. If you like the car, fix it and keep driving it and pocket the dough. If you keep up on the maintenance, it should remain reliable for many more miles. We pay cash for all of our cars, like you do, and then get our money's worth out of them. I love having no debt.B|

I frequently drive to remote dropzones alone so I want to know that my car won't leave me stranded.

What place between the dropzone and home could possibly be as dangerous for a woman alone, as the dropzone its self?:o
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You still haven't said the make, model and year of the car

I've intentionally left out that information because I didn't want the discussion to go off on another tangent... like whether I should donate or trade-in the old car. The only reason I mentioned that information was to let everyone know that I didn't need to get any money out of the older car in order to buy the newer car.

The question is: Is it time to get a newer car or can I safely wait? I always do regular maintenance, but I'm not good at knowing when to cut my losses.

There are benefits to owning an older car. For example, I was backing out of a parking space at the DMV after securing the title to the latest car. Another car came out of nowhere, and I hit his bumper. The accident caused great anxiety because I'd just gotten the car! :D

Earlier this year my car had a fight with a pole in a parking garage, and lost. B| Ah, who cares? The car has too many miles on it to worry about a ding on the bumper. :ph34r:

I'm a woman, so I kind of understand the "being a woman" part. I'd hesitate to cut my losses at the first $500 repair, especially if it's something like front end parts.

Have a trusted mechanic give it a head-to-toe inspection (note -- it'll cost some money), and tell you what might break, and how. Because if everything that might strand you is in great shape, and the only things that seem doubtful will either warn you before breaking, or else just degrade (i.e. car will drive like crap), then it's not a big deal.

That said, I've generally gotten rid of cars at about 125,000, but that's more because I've gotten sick of them about that time. Newer cars seem to be more reliable than they were 25-30 years ago. Or maybe just my maintenance is more reliable :ph34r:

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

the type of car and engine make a big diference on weather or not to keep it - also be carefull on ebay i know several people who got lemons on ebay and got stuck with the car - as far as donating that is only benificial if you have a piece of shit - if the car is valued at $3000 you only get back $300 - $600 off your taxes - definatly better to sell or trade in 99% of the time. aslo newer cars are getting very expensive to fix ( the average car now is $1200 a year to properly maintane if you take it to a shop)i recommend an extended warranty these new computers in the cars have a lot of things that brake- a $500 repair is nothing on the newer cars

I forgot to say this. Call around to a couple of shops and get competitive bids on the prescribed work. I just had a transmission flush for $55 that another shop wanted $199, another $135. A few minutes on the phone can save big bucks. Also, as always, be aware of ripoffs. Women are especially targeted since they often are less mechanically inclined. I always buy a service manual for my cars. Even if I don't do all the work, it lists what needs to be done and how.

And that tax thing? I think it's a losing proposition. A $1000 dollar donation only saves you $340 at best, depending on your marginal tax bracket. You can easily sell a car for cheap and still come out ahead.

I forgot to say this. Call around to a couple of shops and get competitive bids on the prescribed work. I just had a transmission flush for $55 that another shop wanted $199, another $135. A few minutes on the phone can save big bucks. Also, as always, be aware of ripoffs. Women are especially targeted since they often are less mechanically inclined.

This has led me to be more chivalrous in that setting, albeit in a nosy manner. If I'm getting an oil change or something and hear the guy(s) giving a woman the run-around, I have no qualms about butting into the conversation and telling her to ignore them and why. It started a few years ago when I overheard Jiffy Lube milking a middle-aged woman for over $400 in maintenance on a car getting its first oil change. As soon as she said it was new and she didn't know the required intervals, they set the hook and started reeling her in. I showed her the schedule in her owner's manual and talked her back down to a $23 oil change. The guys then charged me for wiper blades and didn't replace them :| (though they did give me a refund the following week). :D

And that tax thing? I think it's a losing proposition. A $1000 dollar donation only saves you $340 at best, depending on your marginal tax bracket. You can easily sell a car for cheap and still come out ahead.

Did you catch where she said this? ;)

I like the idea of giving it to charity.

I think she knows she'd get more value out it as a trade, but prefers the feeling she'll get out of being charitable.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

OK: I've given my opinion, so there's not much left to add to this thread. It's time to tell us what kind of car you have and what kind you are thinking of getting. ;)

Alright... Since you stayed on topic, and I found your opinion helpful, I'll tell you. :)
I have a 2001 Ford Windstar Minivan. It had 16,000 miles on it when I bought it in 2002.

2003 is the last year that they made the Windstar. I'd consider a low mileage 2002 or 2003 Windstar, but I'm not holding my breath in being able to find one.

It has been replaced with the Freestar. I'll probably end up with one of those. I love minivans, but the Ford is the only one I will consider because of my very positive experience with my last two vehicles and one option that no other minivan offers... the keyless keypad.

I didn't think I'd ever use it before I had one. Now I can't imagine having a car without. I never have to worry about locking myself out... until I get a rental. I'm so spoiled that I'm forever worried that I will lock the keys inside the rental and be stuck. :D

Did you catch where she said this? ;)

I like the idea of giving it to charity.

I think she knows she'd get more value out it as a trade, but prefers the feeling she'll get out of being charitable.

Thanks Dave... :)
*** You get it.