ACMESkydiver

The DZ.com WEIGH IN (aka fitness quest) WEEK 1

How'd we do, everyone? :)
My program: Low-carb...20 gram per day total (not net like Atkins), & a bunch of health products that my husband is in to.
(kinda like Kimkins, but not quite)

this week: 6 pounds lost / total: 6

I was doing great until Joe made homemade pizzas last night for our party tonight and I happened to drop downstairs to see how he was doing at 2:30am. :S

I had about a 1/2 slice with a bunch of carb blockers, but to no avail...I guess I broke the ketosis I was in because the scale went up a smidge this morning. >:( No matter though, I'm still down 6 pounds for the week and that's fantastic. B|

This coming week I'm going to do a K/E which is Kimmer's experiment (Google, you'll see it) to get back to the ketosis I was in before I ate some bread...

Also, this website: http://www.fitday.com/ is GREAT! It has a free daily journal program you can use. You just fill out what you ate, and it tells you everything about it...calories, protein, fat, carbs...it's great! That way you can keep a journal going and you can tell what's working for you and what isn't. :)
So how about everyone else? :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

6 pounds is awesome! How are you FEELING without all those extra carbs? How are the sugar cravings going?

Me- The scale hasn't budged this week, but I have made it to the club Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, for at least one hour of cardio each night plus some strength training. I'm happy with that even if the scale isn't moving- my endurance is improving and I'm actually seeing some muscle definition in my legs.

I've been going to the gym after work, but I want to start going before work- at least for cardio. I'm usually so energized after a workout that I have a hard time going to sleep- I figure if I can go in the morning, I'll have all that extra energy at work instead. Plus, when I go after work, I get home pretty late and I'm always hungry. I end up eating dinner much later than I like to, and eating late at night isn't good when you're trying to lose weight! Anyway, my goal for next week is at least two morning workouts! The club by my house opens at 5:30am- totally do-able and I can still get to work on time. I just need to get my butt out of bed!

Congrats on getting out to the gym so much! That must make you feel great! B|

I noticed that whenever I start working out regularly that my scale doesn't budge for a while either. Feeling better sure makes a difference though, doesn't it? ;) An I get that little endorphin-rush euphoria after I workout really hard, so there's more motivation to do it!

6 pounds is awesome! How are you FEELING without all those extra carbs? How are the sugar cravings going?

It was odd day by day for the first week...horrible cravings of course, then a weird euphoria, then slightly nauseous...but all in all, much better than when I was eating so much sugar. :)
Of course on Atkins and Kimkins or whatever, they tell you that when you enter true ketosis you won't feel hungry. Dammit I was hungry all the time! :D -Which leads me to believe that I was losing a bunch of water and never really got into ketosis. This week I'm trying an even more extreme version just for 3-5 days to make sure I'm getting into ketosis... and THIS week I start working out again. (yea! :)
I need to take a nap right now though...I was up 'til 2:30am and tonight we're hosting a big poker party that I need to finish preparing for...:S so off to bed for me. B|
~Jaye

PS...that fitday.com also has a workout journal and a personal journal on it! I haven't used those two tabs yet, but it seems like a great tool for someone like yourself that wants to track their fitness level and also use a journal to track your perceived value of your workouts (i.e., that today you see more definition in your legs, today you are not winded after your hardest cardio, etc).

Good luck and let's keep moving forward! :)

~Jaye

Have you gotten those strips you pee on to check whether or not you're burning fat? I think they call them KetoStix or something like that? I got those when I was doing Atkins, and it always motivated me if the stick turned bright pink.

As you get more into it, your body will tolerate an occasional "slip up" but in the early phases, if you "cheat" once, it can feel like starting over.

And I always thought the reason I didn't feel hungry on Atkins was that I wasn't hungry. I wasn't counting calories or even looking at portion size. I ate really well on Atkins, I just ate a LOT less junk and more veggies than I usually do. The only time I felt really icky was when I did cheat and over-indulge on the carbs- it was like my body couldn't wait to get rid of them! :$

Have you gotten those strips you pee on to check whether or not you're burning fat? I think they call them KetoStix or something like that? I got those when I was doing Atkins, and it always motivated me if the stick turned bright pink.

As you get more into it, your body will tolerate an occasional "slip up" but in the early phases, if you "cheat" once, it can feel like starting over.

And I always thought the reason I didn't feel hungry on Atkins was that I wasn't hungry. I wasn't counting calories or even looking at portion size. I ate really well on Atkins, I just ate a LOT less junk and more veggies than I usually do. The only time I felt really icky was when I did cheat and over-indulge on the carbs- it was like my body couldn't wait to get rid of them! :$

I couldn't find any of those test strips/sticks locally. I'll check again the next time I head over to the pharmacy. :)
I know that I was eating a TON of food the first few days...all the 'right' foods, but a bunch. I think the first day I had about 6 eggs trying to figure out what I was doing. :S

Fried
Hard boiled
Soft boiled
Egg salad
Devilled

Yeah, a BUNCH of eggs. :P:D

I was entering in the food I had eaten yesterday into my fitday journal, and holy CRIMANY egg yolks have a ton of calories and fat! :S Of course everyone knows that they're worse than the white, but geesh I didn't realize how much worse!

I guess I was doing things right despite myself...I was making myself an omelet with 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg instead of 3 eggs, so I guess that's good. -And ya know, I just don't miss the yolks that much. :SEspecially if you have at least one in there for color and texture. :)
For those interested, here is the guidelines I am working on in general (until within 10 pounds of goal weight):

From 'Kimkins':
*Up to 20 total carbs (not 'net')
*Up to 3 cups salad type veggies or
*Up to 2 cups salad veggies + .5 cup 'cooked' (honestly, I fudge on this if I'm having broccoli)
*70-90 lean protein grams
*No LowCarb products, treats, junk or alcohol (I don't follow this part either...carb-free energy drinks are keeping me going)
*Just enough fat to make your menu work (don't overdo)

From the ATKINS induction diet allowed foods:
All meats, fish, poultry, eggs, tuna, most cheeses -cream cheese, cottage cheese, swiss cheese, mozzarella, cheddar

Lettuce, romaine, chives, parsley, cucumber, radishes, peppers, celery, alfalfa sprouts, mushrooms, onion, olives, asparagus, string beans, cabbage, cauliflower, eggplant, scallions, spinach, summer squash, zucchini, okra, pumpkin, turnips, sauerkraut, collard greens, broccoli, spaghetti squash, tomato, avocado, Brussels sprouts, artichoke hearts, snow pea pods, bean sprouts, rhubarb

Bacon, ham, turkey, (I'm trying to limit bacon)

Cream (half and half), sour cream, butter,

Clear broths, water, [he says no coffee, sh'yeah, RIGHT!! :D:D], diet sodas are ok)

I also include protein shakes (premade ones in cans, and also the same brand in powder form -huge tubs kinda like a 'weight-gainer' powder might come in from a GNC or something) but I make sure to count the carbs, of which there are only 6 per can in the product I'm using.

Between the carb-free energy drinks and chocolate or vanilla protein drinks, with some sugar-free flavorings added for fun (try caramel or Almond roca for a nice shake!), I don't have to miss the 'sweet' taste when giving up all these carbs...

LASTLY: if you MUST have chocolate, I found that a 70% cacao dark chocolate bar has more fat than carb, and is rich enough to give you that 'chocolate' taste. I ate ONE square per day (read the wrapper to check serving size then divide that down to per square), which is only 3.5g carbs and about 45 calories for a pretty big sized Sam's club bar square.

I'll post another message about the more intense program I'll start tomorrow for 3 days to get me well into ketosis...
~Jaye

Here is the link to the Stillman diet: http://www.lowcarb.org/stillman.html

The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss Diet
by Irwin Maxwell Stillman M.D., Samm Sinclair Baker

THE QUICK LOSS METHOD

This is a severe form of ketogenic diet. It is not easily
sustainable for the longterm. It may be useful in breaking
plateaus and in those too impatient to allow their bodies
to take the fat off gradually at its own pace.

NOTHING ELSE IS PERMITTED ON THIS DIET--NOTHING! IF IT'S NOT
MENTIONED IN THE FOLLOWING LIST, DON'T EAT OR DRINK IT.

Eat all you wish of the following foods to satisfy hunger.
If you eat until you've satisfied your hunger but haven't stuffed
yourself, and then feel hungry before the next meal, you can eat
again, but only from the foods listed here. In fact, you're better
off eating smaller meals 6 times a day than 3 bigger meals as is
the general custom. But you limit yourself to this extensive list
of high protein foods.

1. LEAN MEATS,with all possible fat trimmed off. Includes beef,
lamb, veal. Eat it broiled, boiled, baked or smoked. No butter,
margarine, oil or other fats or grease are to be used either in
the cooking or the eating.

2. CHICKEN AND TURKEY with all skin removed. Broiled, boiled
or roasted, with no butter, margarine, oil or other fats or greases.
Young fowl is preferable but not necessary.

3. ALL LEAN FISH such as flounder, haddock, cod and perch;
SEAFOOD: shrimps, scallops, lobsters, oysters, clams, crabs.
No butter, margarine, oil or other fats or greases permitted in
preparation or serving. You may have cocktail sauce, horseradish,
ketchup-in moderation.

4. EGGS. Hard boiled preferably. Also soft or medium boiled eggs,
poached, or any type of fried eggs made in non-fat, non-stick pans
without butter, margarine, oil or other fats or greases.

5. COTTAGE CHEESE, FARMER CHEESE, POT CHEESE made
with skim milk and no whole milk.

6. AT LEAST 8 GLASSES OF WATER PER DAY, absolutely essential
(10 ounce glasses). As much as you want of coffee and tea without
cream, milk or sugar. You may sweeten with non-caloric sweeteners
to taste. Enjoy all the club soda, vichy and non-caloric carbonated
beverages you wish, as often as desired.

The eight glasses of water daily are in addition to
whatever coffee, tea and non-caloric carbonated beverages you
drink. This is an integral part of the specific internal process put
into motion by the Quick Weight Loss Diet. Much more of your
body fat is burned up than with most other diets. This leaves in
its wake the waste products or ashes of burnt fat. [ketone bodies]
They must all be washed out of your system by water which also
serves to relieve any unpleasant dryness and taste in the mouth.

Note: ketone bodies are not ashes, they are the by-product
of incomplete burning of fats. Ketones are to fat as charcoal is to
wood. Ketones can be burned for fuel by your body. Most people
have feedback loops to protect against ketosis-acidosis.

You may use common seasonings such as salt, pepper, garlic,
cloves, thyme, other herbs and spices, cocktail sauce, tabasco
sauce, horseradish, ketchup. Don't use any creamy or oily sauces
or dressings. No mayonaise, no salad dressings, no oils, no fats.

It is desirable to take vitamins daily with the diet, such as a
once-daily vitamin and mineral tablet.

NOTHING ELSE IS PERMITTED ON THIS DIET--NOTHING! IF IT'S NOT
MENTIONED IN THE PRECEDING LIST, DON'T EAT OR DRINK IT.

If you disregard the instructions and eat regular carbohydrates
or sugar or alcohol, you will stop burning up stored fat as
efficiently. Even one indiscretion, one mouthful of ice cream, for
example, will set you back a day or two.

You will lose the most weight on The Quick Loss Diet, most quickly,
if you eat only to satisfy your humger pangs rather than to gratify
a desire to eat just for the pleasure of eating.

This diet has practically no residue (fiber). Therefore it is likely
that you may not have a bowel movement for a few days, although
not necessarily so. In any case don't be alarmed by any such lack.
[note: extra vitamin C or milk of magnesia is helpful in some cases]

Tonight we're having a huge poker party at our house, and whereas I'm not worried at all about eating the wrong stuff (I do pretty well carrying around a protein shake in my hand. :)am going to have a shot or two of...something with a carb-free energy drink mixer. Alcohol will bring ketosis to a screeching halt, but I might just have a panic attack if I don't have something to calm my lil' nerves with all of these people...:$:P:D

Once again, I'm not going totally off my rocker; I'm just going to do this for 3-5 days to get my system solidly into ketosis. I have some serious insulin resistence problems, and getting into a state where I can lose weight takes a major shift, and then serious follow up effort. And I am VERY happy to be doing it. B|
~Jaye

I don't buy into the egg whites only bs- aren't all the nutrients in the yolk?

I drink a couple of cups of coffee every day with half and half. Cream (heavy cream/whipping cream) is actually lower in carbs but I can't do that in my coffee. When you can actually see the fat floating on top of the coffee or it coats the roof of your mouth, I figure that's too much fat!:P

I gained 4 lbs.:| I need a spankin.B| WTF?

Well like Tigra said, working out will stall 'weight' loss temporarily even though you're looking better -or worse, I always went up in weight for about a week. :S

So if you were starting to work out, don't sweat it (Ha ha! Funny pun! Hooray! :);):ph34r:

Just get back on the horse and keep goin', man, and it will happen! -unless you're just cheating all over the place, then you will NOT be rewarded with beautiful scale movement...sinner! :P
~Jaye

I don't buy into the egg whites only bs- aren't all the nutrients in the yolk?

You're probably very right, however I think that perhaps many of us are needing the 'fluff' to fill us up, not necessarily the specific nutrients. That's why I take a ton of pharmaceutical grade vitamins, so I KNOW I'm not going to develop scurvey or rickets...;)

I drink a couple of cups of coffee every day with half and half. Cream (heavy cream/whipping cream) is actually lower in carbs but I can't do that in my coffee. When you can actually see the fat floating on top of the coffee or it coats the roof of your mouth, I figure that's too much fat!:P

I've been using half and half too...I think it was the fat and calorie count that had me choosing that instead of heavy cream as well. :$

I'm trying to use less of it anyhoo, but it seems to kind of 'coat' my tummy against the strong acidity of the coffee.

And thank GOD for a big glass of water, a handful o' vitamins, and a cup of coffee...man those together are the best appetite suppressant I've found. :ph34r:
~Jaye

Congrats on your progress, that is great.B|

PS...that fitday.com also has a workout journal and a personal journal on it!

i think that is the same site i used a while back, i think NWflyer posted a link to it. It even had sexual activity as an exercise listed and you could enter a time and see how many avg. calories burned.:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Congrats on your progress, that is great.B|

PS...that fitday.com also has a workout journal and a personal journal on it!

i think that is the same site i used a while back, i think NWflyer posted a link to it. It even had sexual activity as an exercise listed and you could enter a time and see how many avg. calories burned.:D:D

:D:D:D Well, it *is* aerobic exercise!!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Congrats on the weight loss! :-)

I'm just generally all around attempting to get in fantastic shape and lose these last few pounds!

I eat mostly whole foods, I track exactly what I'm eating and what percentages of my diet is carbs, fat and protein.

I'm running anywhere from 3-4 miles in the morning before work and strength training a few nights a week. I've been on this plan for about 2.5 months and haven't really lost any weight...

I'm 5'3 and I weighed in this morning at 129.2 pounds. I have in fact gained a pound or so, but that might be from the strength training...

Any tips on losing these last few pounds would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats on the weight loss! :-)

I'm just generally all around attempting to get in fantastic shape and lose these last few pounds!

I eat mostly whole foods, I track exactly what I'm eating and what percentages of my diet is carbs, fat and protein.

I'm running anywhere from 3-4 miles in the morning before work and strength training a few nights a week. I've been on this plan for about 2.5 months and haven't really lost any weight...

I'm 5'3 and I weighed in this morning at 129.2 pounds. I have in fact gained a pound or so, but that might be from the strength training...

Any tips on losing these last few pounds would be greatly appreciated.

That quick loss plan is what *some* people say kicks the last plateau...but again, that's what some people say...

I am 5' 3 1/2", and that would be a great weight for me, too.
~Jaye

Last weeks weight- 271.2
This weeks weight- 270.2
Loss: -1 pound
20.2 pounds to go until my first skydive. The Jiu Jitsu is incredible. When I first started, I could barely keep up with warm ups(run, squats, push ups, etc...). Now I try to stay at the front of the run line (and not to keep the pace down). After a month of training, I got to do my first live night (actually using what I learned in a timed scenario). I lasted 4 minutes (two 2 minute rounds). Now about a month later, my personal best is 16 minutes (eight 2 minute rounds), including one night of man in the middle (I lasted 9 minutes straight). Needless to say I am quite proud of myself. The only downfall-buying new clothes. I've dropped at least from a 42 to a 40 (and I could probably fit into a 38, but I like the extra room).
Catch you next week!!!

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

HA funny that everyone has started last week. Me too! Did not realize there was a group of people doing this stuff. I'm personally down around 4lbs (from 209). Basically no breads/grains and no beer:S.... That is the hardest for me, going to stay away from the DZ for a week or two to let it set in. Started monday with a mile in 12 minutes, today did 2.5 in 24:34. Getting back on the bandwagon with weight lifting. My damn fall rate is getting out of control and sit flying in the wind tunnel with a huge gut is next to impossible.

Anyone into Yoga? When I used to do that it so improved my flying and I lost weight fast. Good luck all!

-Trunk

HYPOXIC