RkyMtnHigh

Tipping for Take Out

I don't tip for carryout, but I do tip delivery drivers as well as waitresses.

I've got one place I go every Wednesday night with three other friends. We've been going for about 40 weeks straight. We get the same waitress every time. She asks if we want the usual, we nod and she nails the order. She even remembers which two of us don't want pickles in the basket.

14 wings each and a side of fries. The bill comes to about $7 each. We each toss in $10 and call it good.

Dude, everybody remembers you.
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

Only for dining in and then 20% for "great" service, 15% for good, and zip for anything below that mark.....

btw, (asking the crowd), what's it like in Europe with regards to tipping? Yes, no, sometimes??

In Switzerland, most of the restaurants we dined at had the tip included in the price.

>

Here in the U.K - pretty much never. I've paid for the service (and generally over the top too) in the Bill.... oh and you try taking the service charge off... forget it>:(

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

In the Netherlands it varies greatly.
There is no "tipping culture" as far as i'm aware.

Restaurants, bars etc. all have their individual policy.
Some let each individual waiter/waitress keep whatever they collect in tips.
Some pool all tips, and divide it among all waiters/waitresses, either equally or depending on how much every individual has worked that month.
Some pool all tips, but divide it among all staff, including cooks and dishwashers.
Some claim to have included the tip in the bill.

And some just take away the tips, and pocket them.
Those are the joints I'll never return to.

As to the tips I give, sometimes I just round up the bill to the nearest convenient price, even if it's only 30 cents.
Sometimes, on a large bill, I tip as much as a fiver.
But Dutch restaurants are not allowed to cut the staff's pay.

But minimum wage or not, you'll take whatever I feel like giving you and like it (and I have been a waiter myself).
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I usually tip for takeout. Because I remember being weeded and having to take time out from my 6 or 7 tables to package up someone's food - it takes longer than you think. And I remember how nice it was to get a tip for doing that. I don't go overboard, but I'll usually leave 10-15 percent.

For delivery, I start tipping at 5 bucks, and tip 20 percent if the order is over 25.00. I used to get that much bringing a plate from the kitchen to a table. Delivery guys bring it to my house.

For whoever was asking how much servers make, I was making 2.15 an hour. But I usually ended up making more (sometimes much more) than 20.00 an hour with all tips added in. And we did have to pay taxes on credit card tips. The best way to tip is to pay with a credit card and leave cash for the tip.

:)
Brie

"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

The best way to tip is to pay with a credit card and leave cash for the tip.

I wonder how many people that work for tips also think high taxes are a good thing and want them raised....(maybe something to post over in SC. But not here).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants