BillyVance

Corporal Punishment in parochial schools

A little bit of a take off from Katee's thread about getting paddled by a nun...

So what were your experiences if you went to a parochial school (no matter what religion)?

I went to a Grace Lutheran school in 4th through 6th grade. Hated it there. Most of the teachers were pricks and bitches. A lot of the students were elitist snobs.

But anyway... my one experience was this. My class was walking single file down the hall to the gym. I was simply fooling around with my friend in front of me, tapping his feet with mine. The teacher at the head of the line turned around, saw what was going on, came right up to me, grabbed the front of my shirt and slammed my back into the wall with his forearm firmly across the front of my neck.

I was nowhere near the worst of the student offenders in that school. It was just a little play, but he had zero tolerance for some reason. Fucker....
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I had to stand at the chalkboard with my nose in a chalk drawn circle until the teacher said I could sit down. It felt like an eternity. My friends Missy and Kim started snickering and my shoulders were moving up and down from trying to contain the contagious laughter. No surprise what happened next...I was marched by my peter pan collared uniform blouse over to the Principal's office, Sister Rosario, who pulled out the dreaded paddle.:oB|

Missy, Kim and I called ourselves the 3 Muskateers (not sure why). We did everything together. They constantly got me in trouble from laughing during class. Every Wednesday, we would walk single file over to the church and if you were "bad" you had to go to confession and say a million Hail Mary's and a zillion Our Father's for your penance. When I confessed that I disobeyed my mom or something, I didn't understand why I got such stiff penance especially after eating a bar of Ivory soap. Wasn't that enough? :P

One of the times in church, Missy farted in the wooden pew. Oh my God, it echoed throughout the church and my eyes were watering it was so bad.:D Again, I got caught laughing in church and Father O'Conner stopped reading and looked right at me and sent me you-know-where..yep, Sister Rosario's office.

I was go glad when my mom pulled me out of that school.

I doubt the nuns would get away with that type of discipline these days.

I got swats in christian school and in public school, and got suspended for my reaction to the latter. My daughter is now well past corporal punishment age, but even before, my beliefs are that nobody should lay a hand on a child other than their parents (and it's not a tactic I would use with my child).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

My overall experience in parochial school was a good one.

One time though, I got it bad from a nun. We were having a bomb drill. During a bomb drill, we were supposed to go out to the hallway with our faces up against the wall and our hands on our heads.

During this particular bomb drill, I happened to be talking to my friend. Suddenly this nun grabbed the back of my hair and pulled like hell. She said "Mr. Muenkel, you do not speak during a bomb drill"! My response to her was; "Sister, if a bomb drops on the school, you're going to hear it whether I am talking or not". Needless to say, I was in deep shit after that.

Chris

My "Dear Old Dad" put me on the swat team (as it was known) because he thought corporal punishment was a good idea.

6th grade, Miss Stammer's math class.
I did not bring a red pen with me. She sent me to the assistant principal's office, where punishment for such horrendous crimes was delt with an iron fist.
I got 3 swats for that oversight. But, not from Mrs. Wiegand (the puny-assed assistant principal) but from the 6'5" ex-baseball player principal! :o

My ass was black/blue for days! For lack of a FUCKING RED PEN!

If I ever cross paths with ~ANY~ of them, I will BEAT their fucking ass! >:(

(yes, I am a *little* hostile still!) :$

Doug.

I have never developed indigestion from eating my words.
Winston Churchill

spent most off my early years in the head/principals office receiving the leather strap/belt over the hands and i still ended up spending time in a Juvenile correctional facility which did straighten me out :|

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I didn't have any "corporal punishment" experiences in catholic school, but I did have some pretty weird days...

The first week of school, we were studying Genesis in religion class. The teacher, an ex nun (no idea why), was pretty strict. At the end of the lecture, she asks if we have any questions. I was a curious 13 year old, and looked at the story of Adam and Eve, and found some numbers that just didn't add up, at least the way our book explained it. So, I raise my hand and ask "If Adam and Eve had only two kids, Cain and Abel, then Cain kills Abel, and then gets married, who'd Cain marry? His mother or his sister?"

The teacher got so mad she started jumping around screeching "BLASPHEMY!" and I was promptly sent to the principal's office. The principal and I had a good laugh over it, and I got sent on to my next class.

I got Paddled in Public Schools. Then I got expelled and ended up in a Private school (Calvary Christian Academy), They did not Paddle.

Got the Paddling for fighting in the fifth grade. I told the principal before he gave the paddle that he was to call my Father before Paddling me (My father had always told me if I got in trouble he would come down to the school and beat my ass himself, but NOONE else was allowed to do it). The Principal said he didn’t have time. My Father found out and went to visit the Principal at home that night to explain his displeasure with someone else striking one of his children. Next day I was expelled from that Counties public school system and then we bailed dad out of jail.

The following year we moved to a different school system.

A little bit of a take off from Katee's thread about getting paddled by a nun...

"You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older. Little things like being spanked every day by a middle aged woman: Stuff you pay good money for later in life."

-- Emo Phillips
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

(My father had always told me if I got in trouble he would come down to the school and beat my ass himself, but NOONE else was allowed to do it). The Principal said he didn’t have time. My Father found out and went to visit the Principal at home that night to explain his displeasure with someone else striking one of his children. Next day I was expelled from that Counties public school system and then we bailed dad out of jail.

I like your dad. I've never met him, but I like him. :ph34r:
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

(My father had always told me if I got in trouble he would come down to the school and beat my ass himself, but NOONE else was allowed to do it). The Principal said he didn’t have time. My Father found out and went to visit the Principal at home that night to explain his displeasure with someone else striking one of his children. Next day I was expelled from that Counties public school system and then we bailed dad out of jail.

I like your dad. I've never met him, but I like him. :ph34r:

Me too... Remind me to buy J's dad a beer! B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

During this particular bomb drill, I happened to be talking to my friend. Suddenly this nun grabbed the back of my hair and pulled like hell. She said "Mr. Muenkel, you do not speak during a bomb drill"! My response to her was; "Sister, if a bomb drops on the school, you're going to hear it whether I am talking or not". Needless to say, I was in deep shit after that.

Thats funny as hell! I love your response LMAO! :D
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

put me down for liking your Dad, too.

Mine was different.
Got your ass whipped by the school? Get the belt and get ready for mine. I always got double jeopardy treatment.

However, there was one time he stuck up for me:
8th grade. 1st-year band teacher nutjob. He had a big wad of keys that he would throw at us when we weren't paying attention. First time he threw them at me, I caught them and fired 'em back with my best fastball fling. Got him in the gut.

Down to the priciple's office. Refused the paddling. Called home, Mom called Dad, Dad came and backed me up when he heard about the keys flying.

Teacher later stuck my friend Wesley's head out the window and shut it on his neck. Wes's Dad, ex Navy boxer, came down and worked him over...got out of jail, came back and did it again.

Teacher was selling insurance the next year.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

That was one dumb fuck that had no business teaching... :|

Now, on the other end of the spectrum, my great-grandfather was a holy terror in middle school. He had ADHD in the worst way. The teachers could never get him to behave and when one of them struck him in exasperation, he got enraged and despite being undersized, grabbed the teacher and hung him outside the 2nd floor window by the ankles. Thank God he didn't drop the teacher! :S Needless to say, he was expelled. :D

Hated it there. Most of the teachers were pricks and bitches. A lot of the students were elitist snobs.

Hey, that sounds remarkably like public school! :D

Just kidding... Actually I liked most of my teachers, and most of the other students were ok too.

I did get spanked once though, ironically by one of my favorite teachers, and I thought that was pretty uncool. Teachers have no business hitting their students.

I have no experience with parochial schools, and I think that I am thankful for that.

I attended public schools and they could also be quite horrific.

In fifth grade, as band practice was letting out, a classmate of mine, Matt Minton, thought it would be amusing to say goodbye to our instructor by rhyming his name. To our instructor, whose name was James Frihm, he said "Goodbye, Jimmy Frimmy". The instructor raced down the steps from the stage where we held practice, grabbed another classmate of mine, G.L. Adkins, by the arm and asked him repeatedly "What's my name?" while beating the ever-loving-shit out of G.L. with his fists!

Unfortunately, G.L. was considered a bad seed and considered by Mr. Frihm to be the obvious culprit. Also, unfortunately, Mr. Frihm was a Vietnam Veteran who apparently suffered horribly during the war and was psychologically scarred by the ordeal.

In 8th grade I had the pleasure of being subject to a WWII Veteran who spent half his stint watching his buddies die and the other half suffering in a German POW camp. He was a bit on the "you kids today suck the ass of a rotting corpse" side of teacher/student relations. I never did see him attack anyone, but he threatened me on one occasion.

So while you dealt with people suffering from sexual frustration and a mind-scrambling devotion to a fairy tale, I dealt with some real hardasses. ;)

Footnote: G.L. didn't turn out so well. In my senior year, he befriended an elderly woman...drove her to the bank...had her empty her bank account...and then shot her in the head.

True Story. :|

FallRate