peckerhead

The mystery rig on Ebay.......Scam

This rig shows up several times each month on Ebay. It always has a 24 hour auction and is usually removed within a few hours of being listed. In fact I just looked at it a few minutes ago and it is gone now.

The person selling it always has a different Ebay user name and the location of the rig is always a different place. In the last month this rig has been sold from Texas, California, and New York.

The rig is like new with a cypress and new canopies, and the opening bid is incredibly low with no reserve price. Too good to be true.

The seller always has the same line, don't bid just email me for a fast safe deal. Then it is for sale the next day under a different name. I wonder how many times this rig has been sold? His email address changes everytime it is listed.

Ebay must be onto the guy because the listing is always removed within a few hours. Either that or some sucker contacts him and he removes the listing himself. This rig has been listed dozens of times in the last few months under many different names and email addresses.

If you see this rig don't bid, it is a scam. I have attached the photos, it is the same photos he uses everytime......

This really pisses me off because many of us do legitimate, honest sales on Ebay. >:(

Edit: I just found it again under a different listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Complete-skydiving-rig-mirage_W0QQitemZ150018750768QQihZ005QQcategoryZ15719QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I expect it will dissapear again soon.

This rig shows up several times each month on Ebay. It always has a 24 hour auction and is usually removed within a few hours of being listed. In fact I just looked at it a few minutes ago and it is gone now.

The person selling it always has a different Ebay user name and the location of the rig is always a different place. In the last month this rig has been sold from Texas, California, and New York.

The rig is like new with a cypress and new canopies, and the opening bid is incredibly low with no reserve price. Too good to be true.

The seller always has the same line, don't bid just email me for a fast safe deal. Then it is for sale the next day under a different name. I wonder how many times this rig has been sold? His email address changes everytime it is listed.

Ebay must be onto the guy because the listing is always removed within a few hours. Either that or some sucker contacts him and he removes the listing himself. This rig has been listed dozens of times in the last few months under many different names and email addresses.

If you see this rig don't bid, it is a scam. I have attached the photos, it is the same photos he uses everytime......

This really pisses me off because many of us do legitimate, honest sales on Ebay. >:(

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Complete-skydiving-rig-mirage_W0QQitemZ150018750768QQihZ005QQcategoryZ15719QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jesus!!!! It's butt ugly, who in their right mind (Mojo sparky, cuz it's orange, sort of) would want it?

Mick.

It has re-appeared under a different name again today. Yesterday it was in New York, today it is in San Diego. That rig sure does get around!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Complete-skydiving-rig-mirage_W0QQitemZ130014019662QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1314QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It has re-appeared under a different name again today. Yesterday it was in New York, today it is in San Diego. That rig sure does get around!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Complete-skydiving-rig-mirage_W0QQitemZ130014019662QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1314QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you look at all bids on it, they're all "protected name" bids. Apparently the guy is bidding it up himself.

I posed as a buyer and e-mailed the guy who is "selling" the rig. Here's what he said:

Hi there.
The item is brand new have international warranty provided by the factory
and come with all accesories that you need .my best price is $1050 including
the shipping taxes.
i shipp via UPS (air service) , in max 2 days this item will be in your home
thanks and mail me back
best regards

I'm going to ask him if he wants me to bid or pay him direct.

I told him I was interested and asked him if he wanted me to bid or what? Here's his response:

i would gladly use Paypal but last days my accounts ware hacked and i blocked all of them ,including my credit cards so the only payment method i can use right now is WU ,if you are interested to buy send me your full name and adress ,i will contact ebay for the insurance that they provide for me
thank you for understanding
if you pay now the price is 1050 usd included the shipping taxes.
mail me back

I'm going to ask him why he does not want me to bid on it through e-bay, and can I have a rigger look at it, etc

I posed as a buyer and e-mailed the guy who is "selling" the rig. Here's what he said:

Hi there.
The item is brand new have international warranty provided by the factory
and come with all accesories that you need .my best price is $1050 including
the shipping taxes.
i shipp via UPS (air service) , in max 2 days this item will be in your home
thanks and mail me back
best regards

I'm going to ask him if he wants me to bid or pay him direct.

If I'm trying to sell a high dollar item on eBay (which I have) I would use spell checker before I sent an e-mail to a potential buyer!:S

The Braver the Bird...The Fatter the Cat.

Is this the same rig you guys have been talking about???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Complete-skydiving-rig-mirage_W0QQitemZ160018219121QQihZ006QQcategoryZ44056QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

its on ebay right now......

******Today is one day too late.********

Yeap, its gone again.

This pisses me off to no end. Every time I see this I enjoy bird-doggin the guy, posing as a buyer and such. I get the same responses as the earlier posts in this thread....He sends me an automatic reply or something... we all need to do our part to expose these assholes when we see it happening!!!

******Today is one day too late.********

I alerted eBay to a similar scam some time ago and they did NOTHING. They even allowed the phony auction to continue to the end with some buyer probably getting ripped off. The item STILL appears from time to time. If I can find it eBay can too and should block it. Ebay talks a good line about fraud prevention but in reality they do very little to stop it when it is brought to their attention.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

you talk of ebay as if it was a person - by the time your message gets filtered to a real being (i.e. seeps down through the beurocratic red tape), chances are their "advanced fraud prevention system" has already removed the item.

geez.

P.S. The orange G4 with Student Cypres was originally listed on eBay by a legit seller about 6 months ago. Alwasy wondered who the hell would want an ALL ORANGE container.

If something looks to good to be true, it probably is!