Ragnarok

How often should the tuck tab material be replaced...???

I have a Genera G4 container. Similar to a Dolphin. I have about 30 jumps on it so far, but the container has close to 300 total jumps. I have had the riser cover come open in free-fall twice. The first time I got head down for a moment. The second time I was belly-to-earth, doing a regular solo skydive. In my reading of the sim and other literature, I discovered that the tuck-tab material can be made of various thickness/strenght. When it becomes less rigid it is time to replace it, so the literature states.

Should a rigger/master rigger be able to do this? I originally thought so, but was instead guided to send it into the manufacturer - which I did. I would like to eventually earn a riggers ticket so I can do the work myself. I would like to be able to do this particular service, but if it is out of a riggers "scope of practice", than I will continue to refer this kind of issue to the manufacturer.

Rigging Innovations is going to fix it and may even be able to make the rig freefly friendly. Thought, I think I will stick with sit-flying for the time being. I may just end up - when the time comes - purchasing another rig that is freefly friendly to begin with.

Thank you for your thoughts,
Steve

I have had the riser cover come open in free-fall twice. The first time I got head down for a moment.

Your far from trying to learn head down, if you only have 58 jumps, but if it's coming open during you jumps at all, and creating a dangerous situation, I'd get it fixed ASAP. ;)

Should a rigger/master rigger be able to do this?

Only a Master Rigger is qualified to do this repair.

I would like to eventually earn a riggers ticket so I can do the work myself. I would like to be able to do this particular service, but if it is out of a riggers "scope of practice", than I will continue to refer this kind of issue to the manufacturer.

You can become a Master Rigger and do the repairs yourself. ;)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Only a Master Rigger is qualified to do this repair.

Of course that is true under FAA rules, but not all rigger work to FAA rules, In the BPA system for instance that would not be Advanced Rigger work!

You can become a Master Rigger and do the repairs yourself. ;)

Well said!

Nullius in Verba

a master rigger can do it.

i'd say it needs to be replaced when you notice it is coming open. And not in the air, when it coming open could cause problems. Its much better to check it on the ground, or if you notice it popping open during gear up, etc.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I have a Genera G4 container. Similar to a Dolphin. I have about 30 jumps on it so far, but the container has close to 300 total jumps. I have had the riser cover come open in free-fall twice. The first time I got head down for a moment. The second time I was belly-to-earth, doing a regular solo skydive. In my reading of the sim and other literature, I discovered that the tuck-tab material can be made of various thickness/strenght. When it becomes less rigid it is time to replace it, so the literature states.

Should a rigger/master rigger be able to do this? I originally thought so, but was instead guided to send it into the manufacturer - which I did. I would like to eventually earn a riggers ticket so I can do the work myself. I would like to be able to do this particular service, but if it is out of a riggers "scope of practice", than I will continue to refer this kind of issue to the manufacturer.

Rigging Innovations is going to fix it and may even be able to make the rig freefly friendly. Thought, I think I will stick with sit-flying for the time being. I may just end up - when the time comes - purchasing another rig that is freefly friendly to begin with.

Thank you for your thoughts,
Steve

Ragnarok,

Generally, I wouldn't think a rig with 300 - 400 jumps would be in need of having its tuck tabs on the riser covers overhauled. I've got a Talon94 with 1000+ jumps on it and the tucks stay closed... course, I dont' do head down... except for what us RW folk call a "funnel" on exit from time to time... :S

Anyway, its hard to say though without seeing your rig specifically, but a couple of things come to mind...

Is the plastic inside the tuck tab cracked or split? ... either the "Tab" or "Slot" side... You can usually feel that. If its split, that'll make em come undone more easily.

Also, some rigs are more sensative to bulk distribution of the reserve with respect to the main riser tucks staying closed.... e.g. sometimes bigger ears, sometimes smaller ears will hurt or help. I've even seen varriations between two rigs of the same type/model... e.g. two jumpers with the smae model rig, one has problems with the tucks staying closed, while the other doesn't.

Sounds like y'all have already contacted R.I. about them doing the work. Let us know what they recommend / do and how it turns out.

Everyone else... *sigh*... do we really need to turn this thread into a pissing contest over who can and can't do major repairs and another arguement over reading the FARs? He's taking the rig to back to the maufacturer, that's perfectly acceptable and, frankly IMO, the best thing to do when it comes to major repairs of a container system.

Everyone else... *sigh*... do we really need to turn this thread into a pissing contest over who can and can't do major repairs and another arguement over reading the FARs? He's taking the rig to back to the maufacturer, that's perfectly acceptable and, frankly IMO, the best thing to do when it comes to major repairs of a container system.

Well I wasn't making any comment about who can and can't do it nor was I trying to interpret the FARs as they don't apply here or in several other countries.

I was simply pointing out that the in some countries you would not need to be a master rigger to do that work.

Remember not everybody who reads dropzone.com is in the USA

Nullius in Verba

r_j,

You're correct on both points, but I still hope this thread doesn't turn into a pissing contest about who can and cannot do this type of work and how to read the FARs... or applicable regs from other countries... that sh*t has just plain gotten old to me and just kills a useful thread IMO.

I had the same problem on my vector with around 600 jumps. There was nothing wrong with the tabs them selves, the reserve was pushing them out. I mentioned this to my rigger and when i got a repack, and the problem was solved. Have a rigger look at. It might be that simple. The tabs shouldn't wear out that fast.

I was simply pointing out that the in some countries you would not need to be a master rigger to do that work.

Remember not everybody who reads dropzone.com is in the USA

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Trivial point.
In Canada, that repair can only be done by an FAA Master Rigger or CSPA Rigger B.
I hold both ratings and consider them equal.