ifall

Kegerator help

My buddy and I just hooked up a kegerator he was given with fresh CO2 and a new keg of Sierra Nevada. Attached is the picture of the regulator. I need help adjusting it. Right now its coming out pretty strong and we have the CO2 restricted to about a quarter of a turn. What do we need to adjust from what you can see to get it so that its not coming out so hard? I've tried a few adjustments but nothing seems to work or even change anything. I know one of y'all have to know a little about what to do.:)
edit: for another pic

Well, congrats on selecting a good beer!

Check with a the bottler to see what pressure is right, but ~10 PSI seems to be in the ballpark. How new is the keg? If it has recently been handled and bounced around, it may need to rest a bit.

One thing, though, make sure that there is a proper pressure relief valve installed. If your regulator were to fail, the pressure in the keg could easily reach burst pressure, which could be deadly!

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Yep. Just bought it earlier tonight.

I'm thinking the regulator may be the problem. The beer has been flowing though, I just don't know why it says the bottle is low when it is brand spanking new. Guess I have some kinks to work out in it. Just thought y'all might have some quick tips or suggestions. Thanks though.:)

the gauge with the red in it is your high pressure side(indicates how much gas is in the bottle)

the other gauge is low pressure side (indicates what the regulator flow is set at)

if the king valve on that botttle is open (all the way counterclock wise or to the left) then that bottle is empty.

edited to add:

the screw on top of the regulator, turn it clockwise to the right for more pressure

or counterclockwise to the left for less pressure

monitor your low pressure gauge and see if pressure goes up or down when you turn it.

if all ok then your regulator is fine just the high pressure gauge is broke

:DB|

if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

What do you mean by "pretty strong?" Too fast and foamy? Try turning the pressure down that's going into the tank by turning the silver slotted screw counter clockwise 2 turns. See if the pressure backs off.
If you're getting too much pressure, then that gauge might be faulty. I'm pretty sure you should have your CO2 valve all the way open.
What do the instructions say?

Thanks!

I did check the relief valve and it seems fine. I turned off the CO2 and opened the valve and it seemed to relieve the pressure but still after that (turning it back on clean) it seemed to be pretty strong. I even cranked the pressure down to 2 psi. I think I will let it just sit overnight, refrigerated of course, and finish off the "test pitchers" for now. Thanks guys!!

Sierra is Skunk Piss.

:P

Evil ButtReamer:ph34r:

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

How cold was the CO2 tank when you took that picture. Very often guages in CO2 tanks aren't accurate because pressurized CO2 is a liquid. CO2 is sold by weight and not by PSI.

And yes Kegerator is a real term
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Sierra is Skunk Piss.

i went to Chico State...home of Sierra...nothing better that getting kegs right from the brewery...ahhh, takes me back.:)

Kegerator = is that an official term or did you just make that up ? I have never heard it before sounds cool tho .

It is official. http://www.beveragefactory.com/refrigerators/beer.shtml?OVRAW=kegerator&OVKEY=kegerator&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=4750021511&OVKWID=18811082011

I had backed the pressure off all the way with the slotted screw on the top and barely eased it up but still the same. Even after relieving pressure already in the keg.

There are no instructions. It was a free kegerator!

My laptop battery went out on me while responding earlier and I'm plugged in now so just checking back in.

And JP... You're just jealous.

edit: hey Broke, that picture was just about 10 minutes after we put it in the kegerator and when we put it in it was room temperature.

10lbs of air pressure in the keg is MUCH too high. You want 7-8lbs to keep it fresh but keep from wasting a pitcher in foam each "new" pour. Or you'll end up dumping pressure before a new pour to keep it from foaming. Both wastes supplies.

See all of those years in college did actually teach me something useful.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

But it was dz life that taught you to lock up the taps to keep wayward boogie goers away from them didn't it????:D:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

But it was dz life that taught you to lock up the taps to keep wayward boogie goers away from them didn't it????:D:D:D

Nah...just you!! :P:)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I keg my homebrew now, and although you need 10 -15 psi when you're carbonating newly brewed beer, if you beer is already carbonated (such as stuff you buy) then you only need enough CO2 to push the beer out. like 5 psi.

On the top of a Cornelius keg is a little bleed-off valve. Just before pouring you pull that a couple of times to bleed off excess CO2.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

For Sierra, you'll need a pressure of only about 6-8 psi. For that, you'll want to loosen the screw.

Here's the procedure:
1. Turn off the CO2 tank and purge the gas from the keg, thus resulting in zero pressure. The keg should have had time to settle by now.
2. Loosen the screw that is the adjuster all the way.
3. Open the tank - the pressure should be less than 1 from the loosened screw.
4. SLOWLY tighten the screw until pressure hits about 6.
5. Pour beer and drink it.

Note: further adjustments may be necessary as the get gets less beer. Also, with Sierra, it requires fairly frequent cleaning of the tap. Do so three times a week, lest it get sticky.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I keg my homebrew now, and although you need 10 -15 psi when you're carbonating newly brewed beer, if you beer is already carbonated (such as stuff you buy) then you only need enough CO2 to push the beer out. like 5 psi.

Nice!!B| I may have to get into that. My father has ALL the equipment for homebrewing. He stopped doing it but I think he wants to get back into it. I may have to "borrow" the equipment sometime.;)

Last I fooled with it last night it was at 2-3 lbs. Still a little foamy though.