boinky

Hell's Kitchen. Do You Watch It?

Talk about someone who came-up the hard way. You're right, he is impressive. I'd be willing to bet, somewhere, in his life, he had a teacher like him.

Chuck

He did. The guy's name is Marco Pierre White, the original enfant terrible of the culinary arts. He makes Gordon Ramsay seem like Ghandi in comparicon for temper and naked agression. He also trained under Marcel Roux, the owner of La Gavroche, the first guy to get a Michelin star in the UK, and not known for his bedside manner either.

Basically, Ramsay is just driven to exel. He's one of those people that just cannot accept anything sub par being produced under his supervision. His passion gets the better of him of course, which is why he makes for such good television.

Before he was this famous, they put cameras in his kitchen at his first restaurant, Ramsay's in Chelsea, London. Those two series, Ramsay's Boiling Point are the best look at the man in his own kitchen with his own staff during a time when it was make or break for him. If you think he's bad on Hell's Kitchen, get those on DVD. He's literally incandescant with rage 99% of the time.

Aaron, needed to go! Sheesh

I agree. I thought they would've gotten rid of him when he kept saying he was done and ready to go.

But there are quite a few whiners on there. I believe the phrase for them would be SUCK IT UP, CUPCAKE!

I can't believe that after Julia saved all their scrawny asses at breakfast, that the girls tried to vote her out. I'm happy to see Joann go, but I think the girl who dug the pasta out of the trash should've gone!

Deep down inside, Ramsay is a pussycat.:D

I'm sure the same thing was thought about Jekyll and Hyde! ;)
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Basically, Ramsay is just driven to exel.

He's literally incandescant with rage 99% of the time.

I can understand the need to succeed, but how can people actually voluntarily work under those circumstances? :o
Nina

I appreciate your posting that! Ramsay, makes it quite obvious, he will accept nothing but the very best. I think, he's quite impressive. I thoroughly enjoy seeing someone with so much passion for excellence. People like Ramsay, really do, make the best teachers. If, you don't share that passion... you will not make it. Once again, thanks!

Chuck

Aaron, needed to go! Sheesh

I agree. I thought they would've gotten rid of him when he kept saying he was done and ready to go.

Yup! He was well done!:D When the Chef called Aaron in the hospital, Chef said that Aaron had a disease or something along those lines. Just by watching Aaron, I think, he's got a bad case of depression and anxiety.

But there are quite a few whiners on there. I believe the phrase for them would be SUCK IT UP, CUPCAKE!

That's the truth! Like I said earlier... if, they can't handle it, they should get the hell outa there.

I can't believe that after Julia saved all their scrawny asses at breakfast, that the girls tried to vote her out. I'm happy to see Joann go, but I think the girl who dug the pasta out of the trash should've gone!

The blonde and the red-head, to me, are kinda' snobby! Also, I think, they see Julia as a 'threat'... as they should. She saved their sack-lunch and they try to vote her off?:S

Deep down inside, Ramsay is a pussycat.:D

I'm sure the same thing was thought about Jekyll and Hyde! ;)

:D:D:D:D

Chuck

The blonde and the red-head, to me, are kinda' snobby! Also, I think, they see Julia as a 'threat'... as they should.

I totally agree with both of these comments. I think that even thought Julia doesn't know all the tricks of fancy food....she might surprise them all! :ph34r:

Plus, I actually think that if the chef might like anyone....I think it might be Julia just a tad. ;)
Nina

The blonde and the red-head, to me, are kinda' snobby! Also, I think, they see Julia as a 'threat'... as they should.

I totally agree with both of these comments. I think that even thought Julia doesn't know all the tricks of fancy food....she might surprise them all! :ph34r:

Plus, I actually think that if the chef might like anyone....I think it might be Julia just a tad. ;)

I think, you are right about Julia. I agree also, Chef likes what he 'sees' in her. She has backbone and ain't afraid to 'step-up' She's made some mistakes but, she comes back swingin'. I'm sure, she got that from being a short-order cook. Talk about pressure!
I can't think of his name but, the Black man may surprise a few folks.

Chuck

I can understand the need to succeed, but how can people actually voluntarily work under those circumstances? :o

It's not just him. Working in a top flight kitchen is a very similar environment. It goes with the job culture in many respects.

Kitchen Nightmare's will be on in the US this fall on Fox. Saw an advert for it last night during Hell's Kitchen.

It's going to be a US version of his British show of the same name. Get the British one, or watch it on BBC America. It's being repeated now. Part of the reason Gordon Ramsay seems so shocking in the US is that most Americans aren't aware of the cultural idioms someome like him embodies. It's much different to see him doing the same thing in front of British people, who get him on a much different level, and for whom he isn't so much scary, as just someone that isn't going to be pushed around and settle for second best.

There's quite a few touching moments in Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (the BBC version). His concern for the health and emotional well being of the people he's dealing with is very touching, even when he's looking them in the eye and dropping the C bomb like punctuation marks. He really really wants them to succeed, and he'll drive them to do it.

I can't think of his name but, the Black man may surprise a few folks.

Yup. I think you may be right.
Nina

It's not just him. Working in a top flight kitchen is a very similar environment. It goes with the job culture in many respects.

Remind me to never work in a top flight kitchen then. I wouldn't work for someone that was that abusive. B| Tell me I'm a stupid cow...but sugar coat it please! :)
Nina

It's going to be a US version of his British show of the same name. Get the British one, or watch it on BBC America.

I'd LOVE to be able to see episodes of the BBC version, but my cable doesn't get it. [:/] I wonder if it's on video somewhere?
Nina

I am at one of the larger tables near the kitchen. We were a party of 5, and I Jean Philipe was standing right behind me at his desk/podium. I am wearing a navy blue pin stripped suit (minus the tie). Short dark hair and a wine glass glued to my hand the entire time! :P

SA B|

Um...unless you did something spectacular, they're probably not going to make you famous from a brief showing of being a possible alcoholic! ;):D

Nina