headsup

170 in to a 150 container?

I know this might be something you have been asked lots but I hope someone can help me. A friend wants to buy a new Javelin Odyssey custom made to her size and for a Sabre2 150. Thing is she then wants to put a used, 400 jump, Sabre2 170 in it. Thing is, will this fit the container?

The used Sabre2 has micro lines, changed 100 jumps ago. I know is could be a tight fit etc but has anyone found any problems doing this?

Can you let me have any information you have, thank you in advance.

Hey,

The single piece of info is what container size is she buying. (ie NJ, OJK, TJN etc..)

Once you know that you can go to the manufacture's site and find out their recommended sizes. If the rig is tight with a 150 in there, a 170 is probably a bad idea. Best thing is to talk to your rigger with these details. For example, I have a Javelin Odyssey OJK, and I have a 135 in there, but there has been a 150 in there. I'd only recommend doing this if your rigger gives you the go-ahead.

Chris

Edit: Even better, talk to the manufacture, tell them what you plan on doing and if you're buying a rig, they're usually more than happy to assist.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

A friend wants to buy a new Javelin Odyssey custom made to her size and for a Sabre2 150. Thing is she then wants to put a used, 400 jump, Sabre2 170 in it.

Why?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I friend of mine recently put my Spectre 170 into her J2, which is sized for a 150, according to sunpath, without much trouble. Javs usually don't seem too bad about going up a size, but if she's planning on jumping the 170 for a long time, why not just get a 170 container?

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

she wouldn't be the first person to buy a rig sized one below what they're currently flying.

Mine was sized for a 210 sabre - started with a 7 cell 220, then a 210, and in time I'll likely put a 9 cell 190 in there. That range will work at least 4 years for me, maybe indefinitely.

Does she enjoy packing tight containers? Is she aware that by putting a larger main in than the container was designed for that she'll be putting more stress on the side flaps and grommets? Where does she mostly jump (i.e. in a hot, dry area like Arizona or southern California, where she won't like packing it, or in a more humid area like Florida, where it will pack up smaller)?

You always seem to miss the point of the Socratic method of learning. Asking questions to get someone to reason through an issue and ultimately leading them to the correct answer is more effective than telling them the answer. ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Why do people buy a container made for one size canopy and promptly put in a larger/smaller canopy? Maybe I'm getting cranky in my old age, but that has always puzzled me.

If you limit your downsizing according to Brian Germain's .1/100 jump formula, you need to spend 100-200 jumps on each size.

If you're making 150-200 jumps a year, limiting container usage to the designed size and one smaller gets you 2 years of life out of that expensive new rig.

Stuffing one bigger in there gives you 50% more useful life. Of course, this disregards that some rig designs do a good enough job (tight closing loop, but the side flaps close at a less attractive angle) with a couple sizes smaller.

Note that nearly all skydivers find a wing loading they'll be happy with indefinately (or at least until technology changes). When you hold off buying custom gear until after you've reached that point, you can get a _lot_ of life out of it even if you grow a beer belly or shrink one. I've had my first custom rig for six years and spent about eight years with the same sized main+reserve containers.

You always seem to miss the point of the Socratic method of learning. Asking questions to get someone to reason through an issue and ultimately leading them to the correct answer is more effective than telling them the answer. ;)

That approach works best when there is a clear and correct answer. And one that is the same for both a new and an established jumper.