JohnRich

Phone number: 1-000-000-0000 ?

I've received several cell phone messages over the last few weeks from a phone number that displays as 1-000-000-0000. It leaves a voice message, but when I listen to it, it seems to just say "X", and then ends. I can't find anything on the internet about it, they way I can with most phone spam.

Does anyone know what the heck these phone calls are all about?

Umm, is it a business phone or private? Just wondering if its a cell trace. Some businesses pay to use the phones as GPS receivers to keep track of people and in some cases it displays on the handset. I've never seen what this looks like so I'm only guessing.

I have friends who live overseas, and use Vonage or Skype to call me voice-over-IP. Those calls usually show up for me either as 1-000-000-0000 or as 123456789. Maybe you have a new international friend.

/shrug/ :)

life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

The caller ID at my company if we have an international caller. Sometimes it will also show as a 900-number calling.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Umm, is it a business phone or private? Just wondering if its a cell trace...

Private phone. No one has any reason to trace my location, as far as I know. Unless it's the FBI about all those guns...

Have you tried to return the call?

Nope. Afraid of what it might do.

DNIS data is easily substituted, usually by a call center phone switch or ACD system.

Can you put that in English, please?

Probably some spanktard telemarketer spoofing their caller ID.
http://whocalled.us/lookup/0000000000

Thanks for that info and that web site!

It's from that lottery you won in Nigeria

Oh no, they always select me by e-mail for that. My strong box full of 1.5 million dollars from the terminally ill widow is headed my way, as soon as I pay the shipping company $852.

DNIS data is easily substituted, usually by a call center phone switch or ACD system.

DNIS = Dialed Number Identification Service, it's a feature that sends a caller's number to a phone being called.

It's fairly easy to change the outgoing ID, especially from a call center, or any outfit that uses a PBX (Private Branch Exchange, a private phone system) or Centrex based system.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

DNIS = Dialed Number Identification Service, it's a feature that sends a caller's number to a phone being called.

It's fairly easy to change the outgoing ID, especially from a call center, or any outfit that uses a PBX (Private Branch Exchange, a private phone system) or Centrex based system.

Would it be possible to spoof/hack the outgoing ID from an endpoint like a home?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

The New York Times callback # on caller ID is 111-111-1111 - It's how everyone in our office knows to drop everything and answer the phone. Other companies realized this and switched to that. You can have the phone company change your caller ID if you pay a hefty premium.

AmEx Concierge, for instance, is 000-000-0000.

Sounds like it's probably a business that wants to get you on the phone in person as opposed to leaving a voice mail. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

;)

Caller ID is often replaced by:
1) telemarketers
2) someone using a calling card
3) Voip/Skype

It came frrom inside YOUR house!:o

Now that was funny.

Thanks for all the info, folks. I guess I'm going to keep ignoring calls from this number. If they want to reach me for something important, then they shouldn't be afraid to reveal their true number! I'll treat it like those envelopes that arrive in the mail with no identifying marks on them showing who the sender is - they go straight into the trash.

Depending on how the person calling you is connected to the telephone network it is pretty trivial to overwrite the caller-id

Basically, if you use an ISDN PRI line you can set your caller-id to anything. It is illegal, and your phone provider is supposed to block you from doing it but it rarely happens.

if the person calling you is using VoIP it is also insanely easy to change your caller-id. Again, it is illegal to send a call through the Public Switched Telephon Network (PSTN) with bogus caller-id info.