weegegirl

Hawaii for Work

oh, you poor thing..!! :D I've never been, but Skydive Hawaii is on the north end of the island.......from what I hear, spectacular.

From Waikiki or the airport, take the H-1 West, then H-2 North toward Mililani and Wahiawa. When H-2 ends, keep going straight. When H-2 ends, don't bother looking for highway route signs; they are few and far between.

After four stop lights you'll cross a bridge and then the road forks - keep left toward Waialua on Route 803 - Kaukonahua Road. Look for the Dillingham Airfield and Gliderport sign. You'll go past pineapple fields and drive slow down a winding road with ironwood trees on either side. At the bottom of the hill there is a yellow blinking light - go through the blinking light onto Route 930 - Farrington Highway. Another new Dillingham Airfield sign was put up here.

After about a 1/2 mile you will come to a traffic circle. Go under the bridge towards Mokuleia, still on Farrington Highway. Drive about four miles, and Dillingham Airfield is on the left hand side and the entrance is a paved road. There are several sign up at the entrance to Dillingham Airfield. You can see Skydive Hawaii through the green chain link fence from the airfield entrance. Park after the corner and before the Skydive Hawaii building.

Unfortunately, if you go too far on Farrington Highway, the pavement ends, so turn around. The East entrance to Dillingham Airfield and Skydive Hawaii will be on your right after 3 1/2 miles. Call us at 637-9700 if all else fails.

If you make it out to the big island I can reccomend some great diving out there. The night diving with the manta rays is one of the coolest dives I have ever done....

Unfortunatly, I've never been diving on Oahu, so I have no idea where to go there.

Ah Liz, you may have something else to entertain you... a HURRICANE!

Hurricane Flossie roared toward Hawaii on Monday with its sustained wind increased to 140 mph, and was expected to retain much of its strength by the time it passes by the islands.

On Monday forecasters said they now expected a Category 3 hurricane, with sustained wind of at least 111 mph, to pass the islands.

ya surf???

I was just there for work and back on 2002 for vacation. I was only on the island of Oahu both times. I loved the view from Diamond Head. If you have time it's cool to just drive up to North Shore and hit the beaches up there or just drive around the island on the Kam highway (you can take it around the whole island).

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

I was born and raised there:

For Scuba shops - I got my Padi license at Aaron's, I thought it was pretty good. They do a boat dive off waikiki where you can see turtles, huge eels and an occasional reef shark

Other Good Scuba locations on Oahu:
Shark's cove on the N. Shore - sometimes there are dolphins, and a lot of undersea life, but crowded with other divers

Hanauma Bay - is an underwater preserve, the fish come up to you and eat out of your hand, you'll see turtles and all kinds of stuff, Go early in the morning if you want good Vis.

Maui - Molokini - another underwater preserve
Big Island - Manta dive is good

At Skydive Hawaii I think the smallest you'll get on a rental is a 170, though I would call ahead. It's on the N. Shore at Dillingham air field.

Hit me up if you want any other info and Have a great time! Alooooohhhhaaaa

Hey Weege,

Have I ever told you that you suck?;)

She sucks monkey balls! :|

Lucky biatch! I wish I was going... :ph34r:

I've only been to Maui though, and someday will visit the big island where my brother lives.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Wow! Too cool. Maybe I will hit Skydive Hawaii after all. Thanks for the info Brie and everyone!

And to those that said I suck, well, yeah...... ha...... I couldn't respond any earlier cuz I was on my way to St John suckahs.

I am writing this email from my bedroom overlooking the ocean. :P But don't be jealous... it really does suck falling asleep to the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks. DOH! :ph34r:

Just came back from the island Aug. 2nd. Lived there for 3 years. Hopefully going back next year for good. You need to get away from Waikiki girl. Head to the North Shore for sure. If you want to do something touristy but cool, visit the Polynesian Cultural Center in Lai'e. Skydive Hawaii is the place to skydive. Nice caravan, great people ... It is off of Farrington Hwy in Mokuleia on the North Shore.

Things I have to do while on the island:

Ted's Bakery (near Sunset Beach) for breakfast and choclate haupia pie or chocolate macadamia nut pie :)
Haleiwa has the Best food! Kua Aina for burgers, Wailua Bakery for fresh sandwiches and smoothies and Haleiwa Joes has the best black and blue Ahi as an appetizer. Comes with a wasabi ranch for dipping and their sticky ribs with rice and veggies are the bomb
Kahuku market has the best Poki (if you like sushi AKA maguro, it is the best!!!
Must try apple bananas, PassoGuava juice
Best snorkeling right now I think is 3 tables beach on the North Shore or go to Hanama Bay on the South shore but get there super early to beat the crowds. The reef is half dead but the fish are still amazing.
There are shark dives which I wanted to do while I was there but I was hoping to go with Jimmy Hall and didn't realize until watching Shark Week on my visit that he was the guy who died Base jumping. :( Truly amazing man.
There are still a number of shark divers who will take you though.
There are a lot of dolphin swims but many are touristy and the dolphins are in captivity. (Not my thing) However, a place called "The Wild Side" on the west side (near Wainae) of the island is run by marine biologists who take you out on a huge catamaran on a 4 hour cruise to the dolphins in their natural environment and give you a much more educational background and appreciation in my book. The dolphins are not forced to entertain you, rather you are able to appreciate them in their home environment. The scientists on board stress respect for these animals and if the dolphins are interested they come around. They also serve breakfast and drinks and charge way less than places like the Sea Life Park. I think Sea Life Park charges $150 for 45 minutes in captivity whereas the wild side charges $95 for 4 hours with the dolphins in their natural environment. If you have not done Pearl Harbor, it was very interesting but Eerie, there is the Pali Lookout, Bishop Museum and of course, the beaches are beautiful.

Take a drive around the island, Kamehameha Hwy pretty much takes you all around the island and you get a pretty good idea of the many different places around the island.

Waikiki is fun but I always find it sad when people say they have been to Hawaii and never leave Waikiki because Waikiki is mostly a tourist area. Oh and also, Waimea Beach is awesome and you can hike up this beautiful trail to this beautiful waterfall and swim in it once you get up there.

Have fun and check out the skydivers at Skydive Hawaii especially on the weekends. They are a really great group of people.

Last but not least, if you want to shop, there is a swapmeet at the Aiea stadium. This is the place to find everything you will see in the stores in Waikiki for half price or cheaper. You can bargain with the salespeople too ;)
Have Fun!!!

Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."