skybytch

HP 7 - The Spoiler's Thread (ie don't look if you don't wanna know...)

What was your favorite plot twist?

I liked the logic of who was master of the elder wand, and why. It made me go back to HBP and re-read the ending.

I also liked the break-ins of the Ministry and Gringotts. Typical of half-baked teenager plans.

edited to fix book title.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I liked the logic of who was master of the elder wand, and why. It made me go back to OOP and re-read the ending.

I thought that was the end of Half Blood at the top of the tower.

Did anyone else feel really sad about Snape's death? I really felt all along that he was good, and after seeing all his memories and how much he loved Lily and tried to protect Harry, I just wish there could have been a moment between Harry and Snape after Harry finally understood all of this. I wish he hadn't died with everyone hating him and thinking he was a Death Eater.

When Harry tells Albus Severus that he was named after a headmaster from Slytherin that was "one of the bravest men I've ever known", that was it for me - I was bawling!! :$ Could you have imagined Harry ever saying something like that about Snape? That was one of the best lines in the book, I think.

I liked the logic of who was master of the elder wand, and why. It made me go back to OOP and re-read the ending.

I thought that was the end of Half Blood at the top of the tower.

You're correct.

Oh God I just finished the book and Goblet of Fire's playing on TV right now. I almost cried when I saw Fred and George (with two ears).

Overall, the book kept me on the edge of the seat most of the time. Less teenage angst, more action.

*sigh*

I'm gonna go read it again.
Why don't you just go to the police station in a red clown suit and let everybody know what we're doing here?

I have a phobia for moobs. Thanks, youknowwhoyouare.

For me, this was by far the most enjoyable book of the series.

Favorite parts off the top of my head:

-A lot more magic was used.
-The maturity we witnessed in Harry, Ron and Hermione.
-The battle of Hogwarts was brilliantly written.
-The Prince's tale was also brilliantly written.
-When Harry realized he had to die and how he handled walking to his death.
-The final duel was perfect.
-Mrs. Weasley kicking Bellatrix's ass.
-The strength of Neville's character.

Some disappointments:

-As was said above, too much time spent in the tents and less time spent in the final duel and bringing closure to so many past characters.
-I felt Hagrid's character deserved more.
-A little more closure in regard to the Malfoys.
-In the Epilogue, I would have liked to find out that one of Dudley's children turned out to be a witch/wizard.
-No explanation as to what became of Umbridge.

All in all, an awesome book.

-In the Epilogue, I would have liked to find out that one of Dudley's children turned out to be a witch/wizard.

That would have been very cool!;) I liked that Dudley turned semi human in the end, and that Petunia *almost* said something to Harry, and from Snape's memories, that Petunia did care about Lily and was more jealous than ashamed of her.

True, there was no explanation of what became of Umbridge, however there was a massive "breakout" right under her nose. We can guess. Voldemort might have had her killed for incompetence, and if he happened to SEE her, proudly wearing the fake Slytherin locket, he would have fed her to the snake for sure! And if that didn't happen, she'd have been locked up in Azkaban after Kingsley became minister fo magic.

I loved their "raids" on the Ministry and Gringotts. I loved Harry taking Moody's "mad eye", how they liberated the "mudbloods" that had been dragged in for "questioning", and how Harry freed the poor abused dragon in Gringotts.

Honestly, I can't remember enjoying a book quite this much ever.

I LOVED the book, even though it did have a bit of a "Hollywood" ending. I cried all through the Prince's Tale chapter. :$:)
There were just too many deaths on the OOTP side. I wish she'd have gone into more detail about deaths on the death eaters side. I mean Hedwig?? Why kill off Harry's owl and Dobby?? I hated that they died. Although I guess that's partly to show what they were up against, and how many innocents were dying. As for Teddy, I would assume he was raised with his grandmother (Tonks' mother) a la Neville. I loved that Neville killed Nagini.

Okay, I do have one wuestion that's been bugging me for a while and I thought it might be answered in this book, but it wasn't. Harry couldn't see the thestrals before he saw Cedric die. But didn't he watch his mother die??

I do like that Voldemort and Harry were distant relatives, but I always thought that would be the case. I did think this story got a little out of control with items they were "searching" for...Horcruxes and Hallows. And the sword. It was like one giant treasure hunt. :S But it was still fantastic. :)

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

One question that is bugging me. I do not recall Harry destroying the cup they took from the Lestrange vault. Did they do this at some point or was it perhaps a blooper?

Hermione destroyed it -- Ron felt "she should have a chance."

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

I'm just waiting for the religious conservatives to jump all over this one. Once they find out that Harry died to protect them all and that his death prevented evil from harming all of them and then rose from the dead.....there is going to be some sort of shit storm. Christ figure as a wizard? hehe

Oh geez...what a crappy statement.:S:S

Here's a newsflash for you. 'Religious conservatives' have as much ability as you do to know the difference between fiction and non-fiction.:|

Thanks Jack.Smile

At what point did Hermione destroy it? I don't recall that part.

When they went to the Chamber of Secrets while Harry was getting the teachers to rally the school for the final battle. Hermione "killed" it with the fang from the Balisk that Harry had killed in the 2nd book.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm just waiting for the religious conservatives to jump all over this one. Once they find out that Harry died to protect them all and that his death prevented evil from harming all of them and then rose from the dead.....there is going to be some sort of shit storm. Christ figure as a wizard? hehe

Here's a newsflash for you. 'Religious conservatives' have as much ability as you do to know the difference between fiction and non-fiction.:|

Some do - like the Rabbi's that gave permission for the book to be obtained on the Sabbath. Then there are those that have filed multiple lawsuits against the author and publisher. From the Wiki: The books have been the subject of a number of legal proceedings, largely stemming either from claims by the American religious groups that the magic in the books promotes witchcraft among children

Thanks Jack.Smile

At what point did Hermione destroy it? I don't recall that part.

When they went to the Chamber of Secrets while Harry was getting the teachers to rally the school for the final battle. Hermione "killed" it with the fang from the Balisk that Harry had killed in the 2nd book.

Right, and we weren't "there", Ron just told Harry about it.

Made it pretty easy to miss, really.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

excellent book - all the time 'camping', she could have developed some of the background plot - but it really took off after that point

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

www.bettybowers.com/harrypotter.html

Really? That's just one of dozens.

I do like that Voldemort and Harry were distant relatives

I was thinking about it and I think Dumbledore was a descendent of the brother who was the original "master" of the elder wand. Pure speculation, but it fits, especially since his family ended up in the same town as James Potter's family. And it fits in terms of all 3 of them being extremely powerful wizards, showing their talents at a very young age. (Harry flying a toy broomstick before he could walk? Before Voldemort "marked" him?) It also fits in terms of the age of the brothers- the oldest chose the wand (Dumbledore), the middle one chose the stone (Voldemort) and the youngest, the cloak and it fits in terms of the lives they led.

www.bettybowers.com/harrypotter.html

Really? That's just one of dozens.

OMG, that was freakin' hilarious. Does she moonlight for the Onion too?

Maybe she wrote this.

And also this one, that calls Harry the "vanguard of the Anti-Christ"

You coming to Summerfest?

edit: and another.

Is that this weekend? Sandy said something about a Chicago area boogie. I should, I'm a bachelor this weekend.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Is that this weekend? Sandy said something about a Chicago area boogie. I should, I'm a bachelor this weekend.

Starts tomorrow.

www.pawcreek.org/articles_pcm/end_times/harry_potter_antichrist.htm

And of course:

Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger
Vatican City
March 7, 2003

Esteemed and dear Ms. Kuby!

Many thanks for your kind letter of February 20th and the informative book which you sent me in the same mail. It is good, that you enlighten people about Harry Potter, because those are subtle seductions, which act unnoticed and by this deeply distort Christianity in the soul, before it can grow properly.

I would like to suggest that you write to Mr. Peter Fleetwood, (Pontifical Council of Culture, Piazza S. Calisto 16, I00153 Rome) directly and to send him your book.

Sincere Greetings and Blessings,

+ Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh geez...what a crappy statement.

Here's a newsflash for you. 'Religious conservatives' have as much ability as you do to know the difference between fiction and non-fiction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some do - like the Rabbi's that gave permission for the book to be obtained on the Sabbath. Then there are those that have filed multiple lawsuits against the author and publisher. From the Wiki: The books have been the subject of a number of legal proceedings, largely stemming either from claims by the American religious groups that the magic in the books promotes witchcraft among children

And what percentage of 'Religious conservatives' do they represent? Do you have a clicky with those stats?

You and kallend clearly have an agenda that is better suited for SC. Your goal is to piss off so called 'religious conservatives'. And you both know it.

Oh geez...what a crappy statement.

Here's a newsflash for you. 'Religious conservatives' have as much ability as you do to know the difference between fiction and non-fiction.

And what percentage of 'Religious conservatives' do they represent? Do you have a clicky with those stats?

What % does the Pope represent? Quite a lot, I suspect, although I concede that his letter on the subject was not as looney as the fundys' web sites.