jacketsdb23

RESERVE PARACHUTE - PD 1992

Hey guys, especially you riggers out there....

Would you have any issues with putting a used (1 ride, a few repacks) PD reserve manufactured in 1992 into a new container? With careful inspection and the all clear from my rigger - is there any technological advances made with PD reserves since 1992 that would make this an unsafe reserve? To my knowledge this canopy has been properly stored for about 10 years. Any hesitations? Thanks for your input.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

I might test the fabric as well as do an inspection and then pack it happily if it passes

I would have happily used the 20 year old X228 that I had in one of my containers until very recently.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

How do you inspect a 15 year old reserve to proof that it is still as good as it was after leaving the factory. What are all the MfG's saying about inspection of an old reserve?...?

To repack a reserve 20 year long, does not mean that it would work at the limits at the time you need it!!

Would you like to drive 15 year old tires up to 200 kts on you car only by looking to the color and kicking them with one foot?

Guido Reusch

PD has not made any significant changes to their reserves since introduction. The only difference - I can see - is slightly more latex coating on Spectra suspension lines. This reduces the likelihood that lines will be "chewed" by hook Velcro.
If your 1992 reserve passes a visual and tensile inspection (see PD Reserve Manual) then it is "good to go."

Any well cared for (I stored in a cool, dry, dark place and only one or two jumps) reserve 15 or 20 years old should still be airworthy.
Beyond twenty years, you start dealing with square reserves that have fallen out of fashion (i.e. Safety-Fyers, Safety-Stars and some modern riggers don't understand the brake lines on 5-cell Swifts).

I might test the fabric as well as do an inspection and then pack it happily if it passes

I would have happily used the 20 year old X228 that I had in one of my containers until very recently.

i bought a PD 160R from square 1. mfg 1990 i believe with 15 repacks (left in storage for years). should i ask my rigger to do a fabric test or is that standard for older reserves? its getting packed at the moment.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

Thanks everyone for the information. Here is a FYI from PD themselves concerning the evolving (or apparently non evolving) reserve canopies:

Thanks for contacting us. There have been no changes to the design of the PD reserve since it first came out - we are very proud that our designed has really stood the test of time and we have had 0 recalls on over 40,000 reserves out there. Do have your rigger inspect though because proper storage would be important during that length of time. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thanks for choosing PD!

Blue Skies!!
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

>and some modern riggers don't understand the brake lines on 5-cell Swifts.

But it is fun to watch people on the ground exclaim "Uh oh! Both his brake lines broke at the toggle!"

It was even more fun to watch the Safety Flier brakes throw much confusion into peoples minds. Bright red lanyards made of doubled 550(un-gutted) attached at the #6 (big) Rapide links. Fun to land too.

Mick.

Would you like to drive 15 year old tires up to 200 kts on you car only by looking to the color and kicking them with one foot?

How many people even buy tires rated to 200 kts. for their car. Knots is usually a measurement of speed for planes or boats not cars.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

PD has not made any significant changes to their reserves since introduction. The only difference - I can see - is slightly more latex coating on Spectra suspension lines. This reduces the likelihood that lines will be "chewed" by hook Velcro.

They've actually slightly increased the coating on their Spectra suspension lines!!!!????!!! I wish they'd increas it MORE!!! PD lines almost seem to be "attracted" to the hook side of Velcro!!!... like some irresitable cosmic force yet to be understood by Physics!!! All kidding aside, seriously now, I mean, I think PD Reserves are primo... I've got one... got one ride on it... worked great... bought my rigger a case of his favorite beverage... :D...

They've actually slightly increased the coating on their Spectra suspension lines!!!!????!!! I wish they'd increas it MORE!!! PD lines almost seem to be "attracted" to the hook side of Velcro!!!... like some irresitable cosmic force yet to be understood by Physics!!! All kidding aside, seriously now, I mean, I think PD Reserves are primo... I've got one... got one ride on it... worked great... bought my rigger a case of his favorite beverage... :D...

I think the Swift Plus takes the blue ribbon for hook velcro/ line attraction!! Man you have to be carefull handling those things!!

Mick.

A long time ago - maybe the early 1980s - Pasrachutes Australia bought the right from Bill Gargano to build Comet series canopies. One of PA's products was the X228 reserve.
Bill even went to Australia to teach them the finer points.
About the same time, Gargano got a license to build Pygmee containers in the USA.