skymama

The Baked Beans Experiment

Ever since my son's first trip to London last year with his soccer team, he's been obsessed with 3 English things:

1. Lucozade
2. [ url http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lillywhites]Lillywhites[/url]
3. Heinz English Baked Beans

When I told him we were traveling to London this summer, those three items were still at the top of his list. He even brought an extra bag with him to bring home shoes from the Lillywhites summer sale and Lucozade.

But, this is about the bean obsession.

While we were there, he had plates and plates of beans every morning at the English buffet at our hotel. I never knew a person could be that excited about an all-you-can-eat bean buffet. For the Yanks, these are not just any old beans (although, they look like it), they are Heinz beans and they are not produced over here. For weeks since we got home, he has had a can of the vegetarian beans for breakfast, but still bemoaned the fact that they weren't the same. I told him he was crazy, they're just beans!

So, I went on a search for the beans. After many weeks, I finally found the Heinz beans with the green and black label at World Market. They cost $1 more per can! I bought one can and this morning we did the taste test. I kicked him out of the kitchen and cooked them myself so he wouldn't see them. I noticed right away that the American version is darker. OK, so maybe they are a little different. From reading the cans, I think it's because it has twice the amount of sugar. No wonder Americans are fat! :S

Anyway, I knew he'd know by just looking at them, so we did a blind taste test. He tasted...smiled, grabbed the correct bowl and knew the English beans right away. That boy was in Heaven. :ph34r:

At $1 more per can, I told him he'll have to wait for Christmas to get any more. He said he'll be able to get all the beans and Lucozade he wants when he gets recruited to play for Man United. :P

It's the little things in life that make it good. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Grew up on the (American) Heinz Beans you have shown in your picture. They were a must at every picnic we had.

Never thought about having them for breakfast, though. :P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

that is the funniest thing to wake up to - there are a lot of foods better overseas in my opinion - granted i have only been to england, italy, and mexico - but came away loving a whole new menu each time i left - which of course is disheartening when you can't get some stuff here - but anyway glad world market has his beans - i'm now tempted to buy a can just from this thread;)

"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

but came away loving a whole new menu each time i left -

I know, we really enjoyed the different cuisines too. My kids loved the paella we had in Spain, so I have a recipe for that now. I actually enjoyed the beans, tomatoes and mushrooms at the English buffet. We had a lot of ham and cheese on baguettes in France, so much so that my daughter said she never wants another piece of ham again!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Something like ...

On top of spaghetti,
all covered with cheese.
I lost my poor meatball
... when somebody sneezed.

It rolled off the table an onto the floor
I lost my poor meatball
when it rolled out the door.

With apologies to Skymama for thread napping.

Gone fishing

Only have one question for you -- how did you get my range into your place, do the experiment and put it back without me noticing? I've been here all along.

I did check just in case, and the range is still in place in our kitchen.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

As every English Baked beans kid knows.............

Beans beans good for your heart
the more you eat the more you fart
The more you fart the better you feel
so lets have beans for every meal

:D The one we were taught as kids was

Beans beans the magical fruit
The more you eat the more you toot
The more you toot the better you feel
So eat your beans at ever meal.

But I was a little girl afterall. Girls don't fart, apparently we toot! :D
~skysprite

I wsill save this tin for the next time i am down in deland i would be there this week-end but had a wisdom tooth pulled
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

As every English Baked beans kid knows.............

Beans beans good for your heart
the more you eat the more you fart
The more you fart the better you feel
so lets have beans for every meal

:D The one we were taught as kids was

Beans beans the magical fruit
The more you eat the more you toot
The more you toot the better you feel
So eat your beans at ever meal.

But I was a little girl afterall. Girls don't fart, apparently we toot! :D

I knew both versions, but the variant of yours that I learned was:

Heinz beans the musical fruit

Now, anyone for some rugger songs?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.