simplyputsi

Are you afraid to die?

So it's something that kind of came up lately in converstations with people.
I don't Want to die, but I am certainly not going to tiptoe around in life.
A few people I know think I have a death wish, and I just have to say have you ever done that?? You are aware people do much worse? Stuff like that.

I think to myself though, I do stuff that is a little on the death wish side. I think my problem is in my brain I don't dwell on the what bad can happen side. I'm aware of it, but I don't let that part of my brain take control.
Thus why I can throw myself out of a plane without hesitation.

So are you??
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I have a healthy respect for death. I know my physical space pretty well and try not to fall off the deep end. ;)

I was more nuts 10 years ago though....

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It is in every living creature to be afraid of death unless you are completely mental, there is always some deep down feelings about it, some of us just refuse to allow our emotions to effect how we choose to live our lives noone in the skydiving community can say they were not afraid at one time or another otherwise there would be no endorphine high thus no fun. that being said you can get used to anything. just my .2C

If I knew it would be quick an painless, then I'd say no

If I knew that it would be long an painful, then I think I'd say yes, untill I had accepted the fact that I was going to die. An with that acceptance I hope I could find some peace an not be afraid.

Gone fishing

im more afraid to hurt myself so bad that im not able to do the fun stuff anymore rather than dying...
if im dead, well thats it...nothing more i can do about that......

Good answer I'll ditto that! ;)

Muff Brother # 3883, SCR # 14796 ICD # 1 - Pres.
Yeah, I noticed and I think it's funny!

im more afraid to hurt myself so bad that im not able to do the fun stuff anymore rather than dying...

Here is where the question comes in from friends though. The activity(s) you do could cause you death, or get you mangled. So for them it's a I would never do that. Why?? Because you might get hurt? Die? Take a chance for the love.

However, that activity that could hurt you so bad, how are you able to do it if you know if things go wrong you could end up really messed up?

It's a very complex question to answer I think.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Here is where the question comes in from friends though. The activity(s) you do could cause you death, or get you mangled. So for them it's a I would never do that. Why?? Because you might get hurt? Die? Take a chance for the love.

However, that activity that could hurt you so bad, how are you able to do it if you know if things go wrong you could end up really messed up?

It's a very complex question to answer I think.

well, it follow the game...and if you not accept it, then it`s probably not the sport/lifestyle for you...
that`s my view of this case...

I don't want to die.... but I'm more afraid of suffering a stroke and existing in the bed for almost a year like my father, or losing my mind due to lupus like my stepfather.... I much more afraid of losing the ability to LIVE.

Which is why, knowing my specific risk factors.... I consider being obese to be more of a risk to me than skydiving. Or, since my dad had lung cancer and my mother - COPD, smoking is more dangerous than riding a motorcycle. Can you die while skydiving or riding motorcycles? Yes. But... you can stay inside a "safe" house in a "safe" neighborhood "living" the "safe" life .... and still loose the ability to live.

I don't WANT to die. I feel that I have so much that I want to do and see, and everything, but I'm not necessarily going to avoid doing things that I enjoy to, and if I die, i hope people will know that I've lived a good life, and have done so much with it. Probably more than some people have done their entire lives, and for that i'm glad!
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

no, my faith gives me comfort regarding the afterlife.

as for jumping. the reward is worth it to me. and i accept that death and/or serious injury are a possiblity every time i exit. that's why i will continue to gain knowledge and skills to help minimize the risk.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

no, my faith gives me comfort regarding the afterlife.

as for jumping. the reward is worth it to me. and i accept that death and/or serious injury are a possiblity every time i exit. that's why i will continue to gain knowledge and skills to help minimize the risk.

I'll ditto that! Death doesn't frighten me at all no matter how it will happen because I believe what dies is my mortal shell. My soul lives for eternity! :)
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

I do not want to die but I also want to live... I have a healthy respect for dangerous situations and will do my best to reduce the inherent dangers in my chosen activities but I do enjoy participating in them.

There are people in this world who are risk averse... I am not one of these people.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

For about 20 seconds, I thought I was about to die as the helicopter I was in lost tail drive and went down. Was I afraid to die? No but, I was afraid of the pain I knew I was about to feel. Having had much time to ponder the mishap and life after, I can honestly say that I am more afraid of not living than I am of death.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

When my dad was terminally ill, he would say that he wasn't afraid of death itself; he was just afraid of the process of dying. I can understand that. I also have a strong faith and I'm comfortable with the concept of death (as much as you can be, anyway). I am just in no hurry to experience it!
TPM Sister #102

I don't WANT to die. I feel that I have so much that I want to do and see, and everything, but I'm not necessarily going to avoid doing things that I enjoy to, and if I die, i hope people will know that I've lived a good life, and have done so much with it. Probably more than some people have done their entire lives, and for that i'm glad!

I like this.

All the answers I have gotten are awesome. Even icons:P
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I'm not afraid to die at all. I know what's over there, and it's pretty cool. B|:)

I am, however, terrified of what would happen to Joe and the kids if I died. That is a good part of the reason I sold my gear last year.

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I thought I was going to die a couple of times. In one car accident I only had a second or two where I thought that I was going to die. I didn't have time to really think about it. In another car accident I thought for sure I was going to die a really slow death and it was going to be long and painful. I had lots of time to think about it then. After a little bit I started to get mad. I felt that I had lots more to do then just die. But I was mostly right it was long and painful, just with out the dying part. I think the people who say they aren't afraid of dying would change there mind when they are really in a bad situation where their life is on the line. Your perspective on life really does change.

I thought I was going to die a couple of times. In one car accident I only had a second or two where I thought that I was going to die. I didn't have time to really think about it. In another car accident I thought for sure I was going to die a really slow death and it was going to be long and painful. I had lots of time to think about it then. After a little bit I started to get mad. I felt that I had lots more to do then just die. But I was mostly right it was long and painful, just with out the dying part. I think the people who say they aren't afraid of dying would change there mind when they are really in a bad situation where their life is on the line. Your perspective on life really does change.

So say the accidents were caused by you driving too fast, not saying it was. You heal up. Do you ever drive fast again?? I've been in an accident where it could have turned out way worse for me but didn't. It was because I was driving too fast. It slowed me down for a little while, but then I found myself doing almost the same thing, key word almost.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

hmm well let me add this to it. The first accident I was wearing a seat belt and would have most likely died if I wasn't, the second I wasn't wearing a seat belt and would have been trapped under the vehicle if I were wearing a seat belt. So should or shouldn't I wear a seat belt? :S

People tend to forget their mistakes after awhile and continue on doing things they way they have always done. I know, because I have been guilty of that before.

my older brother has been facing death for years now- I have gone thru the grieving process for him so many times in the past and he has always pulled thru- what a trooper!- my big brother is my idol.

he was diagnosed with crohn's disease and had so many bowel surgeries removing diseased gut. Eventually he had stoma sugery and chance of resection after 2 yrs. The next surgery left him without a rectum and 6 in. of intestine from his stomach to the stoma. He has ived at home with total peritenial feeding (TPN) for the last 15 yrs.
He fed thru the vein nightly and was able to go to work daily.

then he was diagnosed with Hemochromatosis- a disorder of iron regulation – it is an inherited disease where excess "free" iron is deposited in various organs including the liver. Hemochromatosis is manageable when detected early but usually by the time symptoms become evident, severe organ damage has already occurred. His diagnoses was late, symptom was he appeared to have a great sun tan in the winter. Venesections (removal of blood, similar to a blood donation) was started weekly.

then he had the small section of intestine from stomach to stoma blow up and was rushed to intesive care for 3 months in septic shock. Doctors told us his chance of survival was on a daily basis.
He was in coma on full life support and survived after 3 months of anti-biotic treatments....then his organs -kidney, lungs, pancreas- were all damanged.

he made it back home- never to get back to work again. One day with a sinus head cold, his sinus above right eye abcessed and was rushed to emergency- surgery was necessary-septic shock again- his right eye was removed (enucleation) and cheek bone scraped down, loss of feeling right side of face.

now he has been diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia

- has just had fistula surgery to join an artery to a vein under the skin to make a larger vessel (prep for kidney dialysis- 3 x weekly) this procedure takes 3 months to mature but his blood work last week is bad news- he needs dialysis immediately....

he is not afraid of death-
his fight to survive deserves utmost respect-

but to watch him laying in his hospital bed with so little energy left -and every ounce of his energy channelled to anger due to loss of his dignity....

is heartbreaking
:(:(:(

SMiles;)

I don't want to die.... but I'm more afraid of suffering a stroke and existing in the bed for almost a year like my father, or losing my mind due to lupus like my stepfather.... I much more afraid of losing the ability to LIVE.

Which is why, knowing my specific risk factors.... I consider being obese to be more of a risk to me than skydiving. Or, since my dad had lung cancer and my mother - COPD, smoking is more dangerous than riding a motorcycle. Can you die while skydiving or riding motorcycles? Yes. But... you can stay inside a "safe" house in a "safe" neighborhood "living" the "safe" life .... and still loose the ability to live.

CAN I HEAR A FUCK YEAH!
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192