sundevil777

Big power from a small number of cylinders for Cruiser bikes, why not for cars?

Vibration and the rolling thunder sound is apparently very desirable for motorcycles. So why is it that there are no cars that have large displacement engines with very few cylinders? It seems to be universally accepted (wrongly) that cars with 4 cylinder engines are underpowered, and at least 6 cylinders are needed to have decent power. If the vehicle is a luxury car or large truck/SUV, then 8 cylinders or more is expected. Car manufacturers have accepted the bias, and don't bother to offer large displacement, powerful engines with fewer cylinders.

Why is it that engines that are smooth and quiet are for cars, but so many popular bikes go the other way? There is not even a small portion of the autos available that offer large displacement, powerful engines from a small number of cylinders. Such engines should have the same appeal as they do on bikes, while also being cheaper and smaller. It should be remembered that the Offenhauser 4 cylinder racing engine was very competitive until the late '60s or so.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I could explain it to you but I lack the literacy. It's all down to displacement,
A good example is the old 500 thumpers

I used to have a 2.3 4 pot GM W41 with a getrag in a Pontiac Transport, that would beat any standard V6 I met.

Gone fishing

Just like canopy size, power doesn't scale.

50cc motorcycles makearound 8bhp and are a joke. That joke is 160 BHPL, or 800 BHP for a 5 litre car. There are no 800hp cars with 10000km service intervals.

Around 500cc is where good power is made, thus 2 cylender 1000cc bikes, Subaru 2L 4 cylenders, a brace of 3 litre V6's, 4 litre V8's, 5 litre V12's etc.

It's also not only about power. It's about torque. If you took the 100+ BHP engine out of a Yamaha R1, and put it in a 4 seat family car than normally has a 65 BHP engine, it would smoke the clutch all day long and never get going.

Plus the vibration of a 4 litre 2 cylender car would be impossible to live with in practical terms even if it delivered the power.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Check out the Polaris Ranger RZR, things are getting closer all the time.

And it is only 800cc, imagine what you can do with a 1300CC GSXR motor, tuned to run better at lower rpm, the power band would need to be from 1500rpm to around 8000rpm.

that would definately allow for a slightly heavier vehicle in the same or larger frame size.

Vibration and the rolling thunder sound is apparently very desirable for motorcycles. So why is it that there are no cars that have large displacement engines with very few cylinders? It seems to be universally accepted (wrongly) that cars with 4 cylinder engines are underpowered, and at least 6 cylinders are needed to have decent power. If the vehicle is a luxury car or large truck/SUV, then 8 cylinders or more is expected. Car manufacturers have accepted the bias, and don't bother to offer large displacement, powerful engines with fewer cylinders.

Why is it that engines that are smooth and quiet are for cars, but so many popular bikes go the other way? There is not even a small portion of the autos available that offer large displacement, powerful engines from a small number of cylinders. Such engines should have the same appeal as they do on bikes, while also being cheaper and smaller. It should be remembered that the Offenhauser 4 cylinder racing engine was very competitive until the late '60s or so.

The more pistons rotating a crank, the more steady application of power and less space between ignition. a 4 cylendar engine is limited for ignition every 180 degrees of crank rotation. an eight cylendar engine rotates every 90 between ignition. This allows for more torque at a lower rpm due to a steadier application of power. It's common for torque to be higher than horsepower on V8's. On 4cylendars, the horsepower and torque may be around the same value or the horsepower is higher. In which case, the engine has to rotate at a high rate of speed before it can get it's max power which is why the V8 crowd looks at the 4cyl crowd in the same awww! as pro athletes look at the pee-wee league. (aawwww!!, he put a kazoo on the back of his exhaust pipe! Congradulations, your car still sucks.):P:P

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

The problem may be that the average car driver has less knowledge of engines, and subsequent pwer output than a typical motorcyclist.

So to them, more cylinders seems like it has more power.

I do agree that car drivers associate power with the number of cylinders instead of displacement. Of course they could also just compare the power of different vehicles/engines.

However, I don't think bike riders understand so much more. It seems they simply know that they want the loudest throttle-roll-on-thundering sound possible, the most 'throttle blip' effect, and if their engine displacement is bigger than others, that is a bragging point. Those characteristics come from V-twins with the uneven firing orders.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Just like canopy size, power doesn't scale.

50cc motorcycles makearound 8bhp and are a joke. That joke is 160 BHPL, or 800 BHP for a 5 litre car. There are no 800hp cars with 10000km service intervals.

Around 500cc is where good power is made, thus 2 cylender 1000cc bikes, Subaru 2L 4 cylenders, a brace of 3 litre V6's, 4 litre V8's, 5 litre V12's etc.

500cc is where good power is made???

Where in the world did you get that bit of engineering wisdom? There sure are a LOT of performance oriented engines with much smaller individual cylinder displacements than that. A long time ago, Honda went to the races with a 6 cylinder 250cc bike.

It's also not only about power. It's about torque. If you took the 100+ BHP engine out of a Yamaha R1, and put it in a 4 seat family car than normally has a 65 BHP engine, it would smoke the clutch all day long and never get going.

A family car with a 65hp engine?

Where did you get that? The current Honda Civic (a small car) has 140. Even my 18 year old Civic has 70 ponies.

Plus the vibration of a 4 litre 2 cylender car would be impossible to live with in practical terms even if it delivered the power.

Some small cars still have engines in the sub-2 liter category. Some bikes have the same displacement. So, why aren't the disirable characteristics for motorcycles desirable for at least certain types of cars?

you also have to ake into account the" power to weight" ratio.
A 125cc two stroke GP bike weighs 75kg and puts out 130 odd horses.
MotoGP bikes are at about 1:1 for pwer to weight NO cars have that.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The more pistons rotating a crank, the more steady application of power and less space between ignition. a 4 cylendar engine is limited for ignition every 180 degrees of crank rotation. an eight cylendar engine rotates every 90 between ignition. This allows for more torque at a lower rpm due to a steadier application of power.

Not at all true. You don't get more low rpm torque due to a multi-cylinder engine's steadier application of power. In fact, for engines of similar displacement and similar bore/stroke ratio, both tuned as racing engines for power, an engine with more cylinders will have a power and torque curve that peaks at a higher rpm.

Contrary to what most think, horsepower isn't directly measured on a dynamometer. Torque is measured, and is converted to horsepower by the formula HP=(Torque(in ft-lbs)xrpm)/5252. The relationship between torque and power really is that simple.

Comparing bike and car engines is an apples/oranges comparison.

Horsepower is just (Torque x RPM). To get, say, 150 HP, you can have tons of torque resulting in 150 HP at 3000 RPM, or you can have lower torque and get the HP at 11,000 RPM.

Torque is what's really important since it's what produces the force needed to overcome vehicle weight and produce acceleration.

Because a bike and rider might weigh only ~700 lb., engine torque requirements are less than what is required for a 3000 lb. car. To get the same acceleration, the car requires more than 4x the engine torque that the bike needs. Put a bike engine in a car and it will not have the torque needed to effectively get the car moving from a stop. his could be overcome somewhat through gearing, but that has it's own problems. Engine performance requirements for bikes and cars are totally different.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

> So why is it that there are no cars that have large displacement engines
>with very few cylinders?

Because in general more cylinders = smoother power output and less vibration transmitted to the frame. Both are valuable selling points in cars.

Because in general more cylinders = smoother power output and less vibration transmitted to the frame. Both are valuable selling points in cars.

I do realize that most car owners prefer smoothness. I'm just taking a jab at the cruiser bike owners that for some reason prefer the opposite. I can't understand it, or at least I can't understand why at least there isn't some segment of the auto industry where similar characteristics are appreciated. Why don't at least some car owners enjoy the throttle blip bark from the nearly simultaneous ignition of a big V-twin that gives them such joy on their bikes? :D

The owners of such bikes that wake me with that bark are lucky I believe in an afterlife, or else I would be more likely to seek a violent revenge.

Not to mention problems with mixing, flame propagation, quenching, heat transfer, etc., with larger diam. cylinders.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Put a bike engine in a car and it will not have the torque needed to effectively get the car moving from a stop.

The big displacement cruiser bike engines are tuned for lots of low speed power and torque. That is exactly what is expected for a normal (not high performance) car. The biggest of the bike V-twins already have similar displacement as some small cars, so they should actually be better suited to providing good low rpm acceleration response.

Put a bike engine in a car and it will not have the torque needed to effectively get the car moving from a stop.

The big displacement cruiser bike engines are tuned for lots of low speed power and torque. That is exactly what is expected for a normal (not high performance) car. The biggest of the bike V-twins already have similar displacement as some small cars, so they should actually be better suited to providing good low rpm acceleration response.

It's actually being done with Harley v-twins, but the car had better be very lightweight to make use of an engine with ~ 60lb-ft max torque. It could also be done with a rocket bike motor, but major gearbox raito changes would be needed or a separate gearbox used.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2006/09/15/twintech-v-twin-motorcycle-powered-car/

Here's a Hyabusa V8. Now that's more like it - but is's 2.6 liters.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/02/09/hayabusa-v8-engine/

-NickDG

In fact, for engines of similar displacement and similar bore/stroke ratio, both tuned as racing engines for power, an engine with more cylinders will have a power and torque curve that peaks at a higher rpm.

will the same hold true if the bolded section was rephrased to show an engine tuned for work applications? Not meant to get off subject, but does the number of cylendars really have a huge effect on RPM peaks or does the cam profile claim a larger responsibility here? And to put myself into learning mode here: With the same considerations but with a demand to keep an engine spinning roughly at 600 rpms, would you rather have an 8 cylendar or a 4 cylendar to take up the task?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

In fact, for engines of similar displacement and similar bore/stroke ratio, both tuned as racing engines for power, an engine with more cylinders will have a power and torque curve that peaks at a higher rpm.

will the same hold true if the bolded section was rephrased to show an engine tuned for work applications? Not meant to get off subject, but does the number of cylendars really have a huge effect on RPM peaks or does the cam profile claim a larger responsibility here? And to put myself into learning mode here: With the same considerations but with a demand to keep an engine spinning roughly at 600 rpms, would you rather have an 8 cylendar or a 4 cylendar to take up the task?

I'll take a shot at answering your questions.

An engine with large cylinders will not be able to spin as fast (rpm) because of inherent stresses due to heavier reciprocating parts and limitations on the piston linear velocity. Managing the stresses in both the piston/crank and the valve train are limitations on high rpm engines.

If you would want an engine to constantly operate at a much lower rpm than maximum, then a large number of cylinders isn't much advantage, and then you would want a cam profile tuned with little overlap of exhaust closing/intake opening, and an earlier intake closing than normal. Of course if an engine is never going to be operating anywhere near its max rpm, then it is a much larger engine than needed, but you get the advantage that it will be under little stress.

Vibration and the rolling thunder sound is apparently very desirable for motorcycles. So why is it that there are no cars that have large displacement engines with very few cylinders?

"very few cylinders" may not apply here but...

http://www.bosshoss.net/view_bike.asp?x=BHC3502

:)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Not to mention problems with mixing, flame propagation, quenching, heat transfer, etc., with larger diam. cylinders.

Bingo!

Large cylinders produce all kinds of engineering problems from heat transfer (cooling) to timing, rate of filling, detonation, thermal degradation of the valves, and stress cracking in the cylinders, pistons and heads. The very large radial aero engines used before jets became commonplace are testimony to this.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

...The very large radial aero engines used before jets became commonplace are testimony to this.

Good thing they came with "jugs", eh?
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239